Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone set up XBMC PVR with MediaPortal backend?

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by technoholic, Jun 17, 2011.

1. technoholic

technoholic Member

Ratings:
    +71
    As the title says, has anyone done this? Ive done a test setup today with mediaportal installed on a spare PC, with an old DVB-T card. Once I got it set up and communicating between the 2, I managed to get TV on XBMC, but channel changing is SOOOO Slow! it takes about 10+ seconds to change.

I know the PVR aspect is still in development but does anyone have any experience with this? The card im using is quite old which could explain some of it but if channel switching times arent expected to increase much, the other half may have issues with me getting rid of the sky box. Got to try and keep the W.A.F. as high as possible on this one!
  2. jameson_uk

jameson_uk Active Member

Ratings:
    +580
    It has been a while since I last tried this but this was my experience (and also there were large bits of functionality missing).

Much better off just installing MP itself...
  3. technoholic

technoholic Member

Ratings:
    +71
    Yeah but the other features of xbmc are too much to leave. If mediaportal did a similar Linux live install then I might consider it but not until then.
  4. jameson_uk

jameson_uk Active Member

Ratings:
    +580
    Yeah there is never going to be a linux live version of MP. Out of interest though, what features in XBMC are not available in MP?
  5. PsychoTherapist

PsychoTherapist Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I've always found MediaPortal's TV functionality to be abysmal. Slow and buggy.

If you're using Windows and have Windows Media Center, that's probably the best for TV. I use that alongside MediaPortal (you can use it alongside XBMC).
  6. technoholic

technoholic Member

Ratings:
    +71
    I dont want windows on my media pcs, i like the appliance feel ok XBMC live, just turn it on and its there, like a DVD player
  7. PsychoTherapist

PsychoTherapist Member

Ratings:
    +15
    My HTPC running Windows does just that, resumes from S3 sleep very quickly and right back into MediaPortal.

You can even hack it so that the Windows desktop doesn't load, only your desired frontend and trim down the background services to the minimum required. Though I don't bother.

But if it must be Linux, your choices for TV are limited. If your device is supported by MythTV, you could give that a try, though I can't vouch for how good it is, as I've never had compatible TV hardware.
  8. PsyVision

PsyVision Member

Ratings:
    +36
    I thought this too for a while. I'm now using MP1.2 and think it is much improved. If I could get my bloody harmony remote to work with it 100% I would have no complaints at all. The new Avalon skin looks spankin' as well.
  9. PsychoTherapist

PsychoTherapist Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Ah, I haven't tried TV on 1.2 yet, will have to check that out at some point. I'm using the 1.2 beta at the moment and it is much improved in other aspects.

Have you tried EventGhost + MediaPortal Message Plugin with your Harmony remote? Should allow you to get it working perfectly with MediaPortal.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. dmce

dmce Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Im pretty sure one of the drawbacks with XBMC with a MP TV backend is slow channel changing at the moment. See:

[RELEASE] XBMC TV using MediaPortal TVserver (XBMP-TV Script) - XBMC Community Forum

I played about with it, and just MP (which i found sluggish in general and a few failed recordings). Im going to XMBC for movie/tv content i have on my server and sticking with the Sky+ box.

7MC is much better as a live TV player but takes a bit of effort to get good tv guide info. If i go back to anything as a complete solution it will be 7MC until XBMC TV matures.
  11. PsyVision

PsyVision Member

Ratings:
    +36
    EventGhost got me going much better, thanks. There are still some buttons not being picked up by my Cyberlink IR receiver, I don't know if a different one would sort that though.