1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harmony 550 & Samsung PN42C450- won't select input

Discussion in 'Remote Controls' started by scajjr2, Aug 21, 2010.

1. scajjr2

scajjr2 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    harmony 550 remote

Devices- Samsung PN42C450 plasma TV
    Comcast (Cisco) RNG-150 HD cable box
    Optimus STAV-3560 receiver
    Antec Fusion remote computer case

Activity wanted to set up: named Computer- Turn on receiver, set input to CD (where computer sound output is plugged into), turn on computer, turn on TV and set input to HDMI1/DVI (where computer video card is connected to).

Working correctly- Receiver turns on and goes to CD input (it's always set to that anyway, use computer for DVD, movies on hard drive and music), computer turns on (have wireless keyboard, don't use iMon software) and boots into Windows 7.

Problem- TV turns on but never switches from HDMI2 (where cable box is connected and is the input it's left on most of the time when the TV gets turned off ) to HDMI1/DVI.

Have set timing up from the default 8500ms to 12000ms. This now allows the input menu to show up on the TV but for some reason the harmony remote when selecting goes just to the next input on the list even though it's not connected (the samsung remote skips over non-connected inputs and I setup the harmony with that setting, using the Help button also goes to next input on list even though not connected). And when I power everything off then try to use the other Activity I have setup (turn on cable box then TV, set TV to HDMI2) it will now try to change the input from HDMI2 even though that Activity (Watch TV) is set to use HDMI2.

Played with timing settings, had the 550 learn from the Samsung remote, used Help button repeatedly and reprogrammed remote but the computer activity just wont switch the TV input correctly.

Any suggestions? Should I delete the unused inputs from the list in the harmony software when setting up this activity and see what that does?

Sam
  2. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    Hi Sam and welcome to AVF.
    The first thing to do is go into the Harmony software and change from that cycling method of selecting its inputs back to the default Method 2 that provides a separate command for each one. Edit the list of Input Names and match the remaining ones to the appropriate Input Command Names.
  3. scajjr2

scajjr2 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK before I came back here and read your reply I had deleted every device and activity from the 550 and re-set it up. Now this time it turned on the receiver, turned on the TV AND changed to the HDMI1/DVI input but DID NOT turn on the computer. Went back in to the software, had it re-learn the power button for the computer and tried it again. This time it turned everything on but DID NOT switch the TV input until I pressed the help button.

Now the strange thing is even though I added all my devices and activities EXACTLY as I had done before, the TV settings now have Method 2 as how it selects (was Method 3 before). Though something still needs to be tweaked as it won't change the input until I press Help (why it did that once when it didn't power on the computer I don't know). Even then it doesn't give me any prompt as to the input (it did before i wiped everything), just changes it to the correct one and asks if it's fixed. Maybe a result of it now using Method 2?

Sam

Attached Files:

4. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    It's not strange that the new entry for the TV assigns it to Method 2 - as I said, that's the default.
    It does change the way that the Help button works as it "knows" exactly which Input Command to send, rather than having to give you the option to scroll through them.
    The location to do the editing and assigning of the Inputs is at Devices> TV> Adjust Inputs> Method 2, rather than from the Troubleshoot.
    That should have directed you to the TV's Adjust Delays settings for the problem about the wrong input being selected.
    If your note "timing up from the default 8500ms to 12000ms" referred to the Power On Delay then you need to repeat that setting, and if it still does not solve the problem to try other values.
    Is the input setting now the only remaining problem, with the power commands working correctly?
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  5. scajjr2

scajjr2 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah that's the only issue. I'll play with the timing settings tomorrow, getting late here. Thanks for your help, appreciate it.

Sam
  6. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    That's OK Sam.
    You can find out what the Power-On Delay should be by sending a Power-On Command, then an Input Command every second until that registers.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. scajjr2

scajjr2 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That was the Power On delay setting. Since resetting up the remote the default timings for the TV are what it is using right now:

Power On Delay - 8500ms
    InterKey Delay-0
    Input Delay-1000ms
    Inter Device Delay-1000ms

I had originally bumped up the Power On Delay as this TV seems to take about 4 seconds before you can do anything. Had also increased the Input Delay to 3000. I will play with the settings tonite (ended up being gone all day yesterday and work today).

Sam
  8. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    Apologies Sam - I should have written Power-On Delay, not Input Delay - I've corrected the post.
    As I said you can actually time what the value should be, and the current 8.5 is more typical than 4 would be.
    I'd recommend 100ms for Inter-Key, 500 for Inter-Device and Input.
    Let us know how the latest tries work.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. scajjr2

scajjr2 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK for the TV I set the Power Input Delay to 12000ms, Inter Key to 100ms, 500ms for Input and Inter Device.

TV now switches to the correct input for both the Activities I have (Watch TV and Computer) BUT now the computer won't turn off until I press help, it prompts me for the device, I press No 3-4 times then the computer turns off. Turns on fine.

It's an Antec Fusion Remote Black case with a Soundgraph IR LED display. I don't use the iMon software, just need the computer to turn on & off with the harmony 550.

The timing settings for the computer:
    Power On delay-- 1500ms
    InterKey delay -- 100ms
    input Delay -- 1000ms
    Inter Device -- 2000ms

Sam
  10. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    When the Help button gives a temporary fix to a problem the idea is to run the Troubleshoot to get a permanent fix.
    Let us know if that doesn't solve the problem.