Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide for DVD to MKV with chapters, subtitles & digital Audio

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Media Players' started by Rom, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Qvarnis

Qvarnis Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Rom and thanks for an awesome guide.

I recently purchased PCH and am pretty happy with it streaming from my Time Capsule. I have a rather noobish question:

How does PCH recognize the YAMJ files and presents the coverart etc...
    Is there some structure for the namingconvensions etc that make PCH aware of all text and pictures.

Hope you understand my question and what i mean :)
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  2. dwhite

dwhite Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,447
  3. MrGrumpie

MrGrumpie Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Just started using handbrake on my DVDs again after running out of space on the NAS, however chapters don't seem to work even though I have the chapter option ticked? Any ideas?
  4. Rom

Rom Active Member

Ratings:
    +762
    The only time I have found chapters not working is if there actually aren't any there (obvious really, I just forgot to check the chapters box) or on BD rips where the PCH seemed to have got it's knickers in a twist but a reboot sorted that. Try:

1. Use MediaInfo on the file to see if there is a chapter list at the bottom.

If there is then

2. Completely reboot the PCH and try the chapters again.

If that fails then

3. Use ChapterGrabber to rip the chapters out of the DVD then re-inject the chapters into the MKV using MKVMerge and the Chapter Edittor (2 min job).

I use (3) above when I forgot to put chapters into the orignal MKV.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. MrGrumpie

MrGrumpie Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Ta :) Not rebooted my PCH in about a month so hoping this will do the trick :)
  6. Rom

Rom Active Member

Ratings:
    +762
    Yeah, I rarely completely reboot my PCH. It has something to do with the last file you played and a strange format which causes these errors. I also found that I could only FF at 4x too. A reboot brought it back to FF at 16x. It has only ever happened twice to me since January.
  7. scartlead

scartlead Member

Ratings:
    +120
    Cheers Rom for the great write up. Giving it a go right now.
  8. scartlead

scartlead Member

Ratings:
    +120
    Just completed my first rip and using the rough guide of 55-60 on video % , was a fair bit softer than the original movie. File size ended up at 1.1GB ( movie was 2hrs 10 mins - so cant complain lol ) , so going to re try at 70 and see how thats goes.
  9. Joystik

Joystik Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Rom,

I know you were helping Strodo previously with the subtitle issue and I am having the same problem. After ripping the file with DVDShrink and then encoding them with Handbrake I'm getting nothing at all. When playing the file in VLC & MPC it shows the subtitle is present but when you select it, no subtitles are displayed at all. I've run media info on the finished mkv and it states an English subtitle is present.

One thing I have noticed is that it only appears to happen with Asia films (that I've noticed so far). For example: I just done Jackie Chan's City Hunter as well as Carlito's Way, both region 2, both with single 5.1 audio and both with English subtitles. Both show subtitles are present within MediaInfo, yet only Carlito's Way produces subtitles in VLC?? To investigate the problem further I ripped it in MakeMKV and tested the mkv it produced in VLC, again it shows there is a subtitle present but doesn't display it??

I'm completely lost, any ideas as to what might be causing this or how to get around it?
  10. Rom

Rom Active Member

Ratings:
    +762
    What does the media info say for the text track in these? An example of mine (from crouching tiger) is:
    Code:
    Text
    ID                               : 4
    Format                           : VobSub
    Codec ID                         : S_VOBSUB
    Codec ID/Info                    : The same subtitle format used on DVDs
    Language                         : English

If makemkv also shows titles but won't play I'm not sure what is wrong as I have never heard of a subtitle fault when using that (not to say there aren't any).
  11. Joystik

Joystik Member

Ratings:
    +14
    It produces exactly the same readout with the exception of the ID# being different, which you previously explained was ok.
  12. StuIRL

StuIRL Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Rom

I have a few small questions, as a total beginner to the world of ripping dvds, i can't seem to find definite answers (that i understand :blush: ), im hoping you might help:

I recently purchased a Popcorn Hour A200, and am using a Macbook with "MacTheRipper" and "Handbrake" to backup my pile of DVD's.

I have managed to rip 2 basic DVD's so far without any issues, but the more i read up on guides, the more confused i am getting.

With Handbrake, you mention to set "Anamorphic = Loose". On other sites i have read that "Strict" is "the purists" preferred setting. I will be viewing my files on a 40" LCD, and ideally would like to see the picture as per the DVD and as the director intended, so to speak.

Would Loose be the better option to maintain the picture (I dont mind black bars etc).

Also regarding subtitles. What settings should i use to maintain subtitles that appear in films in parts where a foreign character is speaking, but the rest of the film is in English.
    And what setting should i use for films where full subtitles are needed.

Apologies for the total newb questions, any help is much appreciated.
    Stu.
  13. Rom

Rom Active Member

Ratings:
    +762
    @Joystik: Sorry mate, if it shows the same as my details and even VLC won't play the titles I do not know what is wrong unless they are some weird subtitle format on those particular discs that Handbrake does not work correctly on. You could try one of the subtitle rippers available, rip them from the DVD and then re-inject the subtitles with MKVMerge. Should only take a few minutes to do that. See if that works.

Anamorphic in terms of DVD simply means that the studio producing the disc has squeezed extra picture information into the disc where it would normally be wasted with the black bars for a widescreen presentation. A flag is then set on the disc encode to tell the playback device it is anamorphic and the player will then 'unscramble' the anamorphic encode. It has nothing to do with the actual aspect ratio really (cinema anamorphic & anamorphic lenses are different thing entirely).

Having handbrake set to 'loose' means Handbrake will try to detect if the DVD you are ripping is anamorphic. If it is then it will process it correcty for an anamorphic encode. If it is not then it will process it as a standard DVD (the DVD format has a fixed spec for 4:3 resolution so a non anamorphic DVD in widescreen will have black bars in the encode).

So, loose is the generally safe, lazy way and works most of the time. However, if you know your disc definately is anamorphic (it usually says on the box 'anamorphic' or 'enhanced for widescreen tvs') then you are OK to set to 'strict' in handbrake. However, if handbrake detects wrong or you set to strict when it is not anamorphic or set to none when it is anamorphic then your picture will be the wrong ratio - people will be short/fat or tall/thin.

The titles that show when a foreign language is spoken in an english film for example (and it shows you titles for the foreign part) are called 'forced'. Your first job is to find which subtitle track is the forced one on the disc. Select this as you would any other subtitle track and tick the 'forced' checkbox in handbrake. Another thing to look out for is that on a lot of players a forced track needs to be the first (top) subtitle track and has to have the 'default' flag set for it to work properly.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. StuIRL

StuIRL Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Cheers Rom, much appreciated...That clears it up nicely for me :smashin:
  15. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,178
    The guide for this is superb :smashin:

However, i have a problem with this bit below. If i select this option my rips aren't actually visible, but if s select the 'Video File' option, they're all there as VOB files.

I use DVD Decrypter for the ripping and i just select the largest files from the window on the right.

Am i on the right track with this way ?

16. Rom

Rom Active Member

Ratings:
    +762
    As long as DVD Decrypter is not splitting the film into multiple VOB files you should be ok. If it is in multiple VOBs then there should be an accompanying .BUP and .IFO file. If this is the case, put all the files in a folder called VIDEO_TS and it should detect it fine.

Normally a film is on multiple VOBs as there is a restriction in the DVD VOB standard of 1GB size limit. The .IFO file is instructions on which VOB follows which for a full movie etc.
  17. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,178
    I'm currently ripping some TV Series, and i do get multiple VOB files with .IFO files etc. In DVD Decrypter i just select the largest VOB files from there.

Do i create my own VIDEO_TS folder for storage ?

Apologies for the questions, but i'm just finding my way around all this ;)
  18. Rom

Rom Active Member

Ratings:
    +762
    The VIDEO_TS folder is just a suggestion to make Handbrake recognise it as a 'DVD folder structure'. It will then use the .ifo file and know how to link the vob files together. Once you have the MKV then you can delete the VIDEO_TS folder and its contents.
  19. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,178
    That doesn't seem to work for me ! Although i set it as the destination, there are no files found.

In the source button i have to click on the 'Video file' option to find the folders to encode.
  20. Rom

Rom Active Member

Ratings:
    +762
    Then I really don't know what you are doing with DVD decryptor to create the files/folders. It works fine with AnyDVD and DVD Shrink (the only 2 I have used).
  21. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,178
    OK, i'm going to try using DVD Shrink.

For a TV series, once the analysis has been done, do i just select 'main movie' for the backup ?

Any other tips for using DVD Shrink would be welcomed ... :thumbsup:
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  22. Rom

Rom Active Member

Ratings:
    +762
    I would rip the whole disc without compression (to keep the quality) and let handbrake get what it needs.

When in handbrake - 90% of the time a TV series is held in seperate VOB sets and handbrake will break these into individual episodes - so encode each one one at a time - you will see a number of 'titles' in the drop down list to select.

Some series are not in seperate VOB sets but are by chapters eg:
    Disc1 has 3 episodes, 1 title and 12 chapters. Handbrake only sees 1 'title' with 12 chapters.

In this situation you can get the individual episodes by encoding 'Title1 - Chapters 1-4' then 'Title 1 - Chapters 5-8' and finally 'Title 1 - Chapters 9-12'.

you will get 3 MKVs with an episode in each.
  23. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,178
    I'm giving it a go now. If i set to no compression, i get told that the DVD size is too big, so i've set it back to automatic.
  24. lmaolmao

lmaolmao Member

Ratings:
    +157
  25. Rom

Rom Active Member

Ratings:
    +762
    No, set to No compression. If you set to automatic it will compress the video and make it crap.

The warning about being too big is if you are going to burn it back to a dvd (which you are not)
  26. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,178
    OK, re-doing it now ;)

Thanks for your patience, as you may gather, i'm on a learning curve :D
  27. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,178
    OK, DVD Shrink has done it's stuff. I've opened Handbrake and located the folder but i get a message that says 'The process cannot access the file'

Flammin 'ell ..... :mad:
  28. Rom

Rom Active Member

Ratings:
    +762
    Do you still have DVD shrink open? If so, it may be locking the file.

If you are not going to use the batch encoding facility in Handbrake then you don't have to rip the disc to your hard drive. Handbrake will encode (most) videos straight from the disc.
  29. luabad

luabad Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys, thank you all for the valuable information posted here.

I'm using HandBrake to generate a MKV file with VOBSUB soft subtitles instead of having to burn then in the movie. But when using VLC to watch the movie, the soft subtitles looks smaller then the burned-in subtitles. I mean smaller in height not in width. Does anyone knows how to have the VOBSUB subtitles showing like the burned-in?

Thanks
  30. dilfred

dilfred Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Has anyone played with the settings in Handbrake recently as the latest download does not have the same scale for Framerate.
    It used to be that it be set at around 60, but now the scale default is around 20. (doing this from memory as not on the PC with handbrake installed to check)

What have been the findings of people recently as I would like to setup handbrake on my new PC?