Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide: 7MC, mkv and HD audio

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by wolvers, Feb 6, 2010.

?

Did this method work for you?

Poll closed Nov 8, 2012.
  1. Yes

66.7%
  2. No

33.3%
  1. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +235
    tried that last night and still no damn audio, if i renable M$ DTV aduio decoder it splits and works just fine. Just refuses to use FFDshow its like there is a reg entry somewhere.
  2. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +235
    in TSMuxer is there anyway to unselect everything in one go and going trhough unticking every track and extra etc is tedius.
  3. gamingdave

gamingdave Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Not that I have found, but you can resize the window to see more. I find using the keyboard quickest.
  4. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +235
    yeah i use hipporemote from my iphone and its a right effort :(
  5. UrbanT

UrbanT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,778
    Onto the next step. I had the Shark007 codecs installed, so have uninstalled them. Now, when I drop a file into Graphstudio, the audio has changed from 'ffdshow - ac3filter-directsound' it now shows 'ACM Wrapper - directsound'.

So how do I change ACM wrapper to ffdshow? Do I need to reinstall ffdshow?
  6. wolvers

wolvers Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,114
    Possibly.

More importantly though, what happens when trying to play the file?
  7. UrbanT

UrbanT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,778
    Really getting somewhere now.

When I played a film I just got a very quiet multichannel track and FFDShow wasn't starting. So I uninstalled FFDShow and reinstalled it. Set the options as per the first post and enabled stream splitter. Checked GraphStudio and all audio streams are going into one FFDShow and then onto Directsound.

Have checked all the films and in every case the audio appears perfect and all the HD audio tracks are playing as they should.

Having sorted that, I have a new problem :facepalm:

Films like Ironman and Star Trek are now playing perfectly with HD audio and video. Thats the first time for both. However, whilst the HD audio plays perfectly on films like District 9, there is no video. I assume this is because films are encoded in different formats on the original disc?

Can I try a different video renderer or is it something simpler? For example, in TMT3 the video on every file plays perfectly, so could I use that? Or am I just talking rubbish :rotfl:

Your help has been superb, I feel I'm a few steps away from getting it fully sorted. You won't be pleased to hear that I've picked up an HD5450 card today as the i3 can't do proper 24p. I'm not even going to worry about that until this is sorted though.
  8. wolvers

wolvers Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,114
    Good stuff. :thumbsup:

What video decoder does it show in graph studio for these problem files and what is the video format in them (you can check this with Mediainfo)? I suspect it may be VC-1.

You can use the Win7 filter tweaker to set the preferred video decoder but the MS one should do H.264 and VC-1 no probs. You can always set them to use the ffdshow ones as a test. Another option would be to register the MPC-HC video decoder (from the standalone filters pack) and then select that for H.264 and VC-1 with the filter tweaker. I have TMT3 installed and the filters for that aren't usable in 7MC AFAIK.

Codec Guide: Windows 7 Preferred DirectShow Filter Tweak Tool
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  9. UrbanT

UrbanT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,778
    Video Decoder = Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder

I've run Mediainfo on Star Trek (working fine) and District 9 (good audio but no video) and they both report exactly the same.

. Format: AVC
    . Profile: High@L4.1
    . Codec ID: V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
  10. wolvers

wolvers Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,114
    That's very odd indeed. Try either the ffdshow decoder or the MPC-HC one maybe?
  11. UrbanT

UrbanT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,778
    Right, I think I'm going to halt testing until the 5450 comes.

I've tried FFDShow processing using FilterTweaker and confirmed by Graphstudio but get similar results as the DTV standard decoder. I then tried the MPC-HC decoder (also confirmed as working) but as with MPC-HC player itself I get some weird video artefacts when playing files. I do wonder if the IGP in the i3 is the issue.

I'm assuming that using a new graphics card with a different set of drivers may alter how well the decoders work as video is the problem? Card should arrive by the weekend so will load it and see how things go.
  12. UrbanT

UrbanT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,778
    As an update to my problems, I've now found that the films not playing are all MPEG4 (according to MakeMKV) whereas all the functional stuff is VC1.

Tonight, Media Center won't play the problem films at all, it says it can't find the files. I've tried changing the decoders but nothing works, yet the files play fine in TMT3.

New card still hasn't arrived :(
  13. webego

webego Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Can't remember if this was in TSMuxer or something else but I remember you can right click on a tick box such as a subtitle option and click on "unselect all" to deselect all the other subtitles. Not at the HTPC at the mo so can't check sorry.
  14. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +235
    will take a look ta, im finding MakeMKV really good solution now so have started using that as it is really simple and quick.
  15. UrbanT

UrbanT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,778
    I've now tracked down the problem I've been having, now I just need a solution to fix it. :D

It transpires that mpeg4 encoded discs are the issue. The majority of my collection are VC1 and play perfectly, bitstreaming HD audio to the amp and perfect video.

However, any disc that is mpeg4 will only play if it has standard DD or DTS. If there is HD audio present either on its own or mixed with a DD or DTS track the file will not play. I've tried 3 matroska splitters and 3 video decoders all with the same result. I wonder if MakeMKV is the problem? I've made a post on their forum to see if this is a common problem.

Mpeg4 discs I'm having this problem with include Terminator Salvation, District 9 and IRobot if anyone else wants to test a rip.
  16. jameson_uk

jameson_uk Active Member

Ratings:
    +580
    I seem to remember I had a similar problem which may have fixed itself with a different version of FFDShow :confused:

I assume by mpeg4 you are talking about H264 (mpeg4 has a lot of different flavours). Are you using FFDShow for decoding H264? Have you tried a different codec? I am using the PowerDVD H264 codec and this seems to work ok with bitstreaming (but that is on XP with an Asus Xonar HDAV)
  17. UrbanT

UrbanT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,778
    Make MKV just reports the problem discs as mpeg4, whereas the working discs are VC1. I've got mediainfo but that doesn't seem to offer a huge amount of info unless I'm looking in the wrong place. Is there an easier way to tell?

I've used FFDShow to decode, but also tried the MPC decoder and standard Windows DTV decoder with the same results. I have Powerdvd but not sure how to register the decoder in the chain so 7MC uses it. Can you point me in the right direction?
  18. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +235
    i dont have any of those disks to test damn, you could always send me district 9 :D
  19. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +235
    have you tried using MPC-hc as the player with default settings and then you can start adding new decoders in that without messing up windows.
  20. Hambox

Hambox Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I have IRobot. I'm using MakeMKV and the setup described in DaveyBryce's thread with a Sapphire HD5670 for bitstreaming. I actually take both the DTS HD and DTS core tracks as my Acer Revo in the bedroom cannot do HD audio so I need them both. This seems to work fine for my needs and all I do in MPC-HC is switch audio tracks on the Revo.

Let me know if I can run a test for you to assist?
  21. UrbanT

UrbanT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,778
    If I understand correctly, you are using a Revo but that can't play HD audio but your file still runs correctly but with normal DD or DTS?

With my IRobot file with both sound tracks, it won't play in 7MC but it will play normally in TMT3. But like your Revo, TMT3 doesn't play HD audio either.
  22. Hambox

Hambox Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I have my main HTPC in the lounge with the HD5670 and my Revo in the bedroom. Both are setup according to DaveyBryce's thread; 7MC > Media Browser > ffdshow > MPC-HC. HD audio downstairs and normal DTS/DD upstairs. The Revo streams content via a 100MBps network from the main HTPC no problems at all. Just need to get my Harmony working now.
  23. scumball

scumball Active Member

Ratings:
    +389
    Are you using DXVA when you decode your H.264 and VC1 files in MPC-HC? If so are you using the MPC DVXA filters or ffdshow DXVA filters? Maybe there is an incompatibilty with the i5 IGP and one/both of these?
  24. UrbanT

UrbanT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,778
    I've tried both with no luck. It did occur to me that it could be a problem with the i3 Clarkdale. As it doesn't do correct 24p either I bought an HD 5450 from Amazon, which arrived this morning. I'll install that tonight and see if it makes a difference.
  25. scumball

scumball Active Member

Ratings:
    +389
    It could be as this is the exact way I do it using a HD 5670 - MPC-HC with ffdshow DXVA filter and it plays back H.264 and VC1 no problem with acceleration including District 9 and T4 both with DTS-MA.
  26. jameson_uk

jameson_uk Active Member

Ratings:
    +580
    Thinking about it PowerDVD is a real pain to get working now as they stopped their codec working outside of PowerDVD with an update a while ago.

If you load the file in GraphStudio and disconnect the audio side does the video play ok?
  27. UrbanT

UrbanT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,778
    As always, incredibly helpful responses by everyone, and lots to consider later.

Current plan is to fit the card as soon as I get home and see if that makes any immediate difference, and take it from there. I'll post up how I get on.
  28. sniffer66

sniffer66 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,315
    Many thanks for the guide I've been trying to get things running today. I wanted to try out bitstreaming prior to the TMT3 patch

Anyone having any issues on Win 7 x64 ? I've created the mkv fine. Matroska splitter is registered Ok and now I can run the mkv from inside Media Center.
    But when I play the mkv I only get the video ffdshow icon and not the audio one. Obviously I get no sound

Previously I had neither icon but somehow managed to get video with a re-install. Is there anything different I need to be doing with x64 ?
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  29. gvers

gvers Active Member

Ratings:
    +581
    Terminator Salvation is MPEG-4 AVC encoded. I'll MKV it and give it a try.

Rip tested and working fine. I'm running native in 7MC 64 bit. Just FDSHOW audio, MatroskaSplitter.ax and MP4Splitter.ax. ATI catalyst 10.1 on a 5770.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  30. wolvers

wolvers Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,114
    Only make sure that you are using the x64 version of ffdshow and the matroskasplitter.ax from the x64 MPC-HC standalone filters pack, registered in the correct method for 64-bit splitters.

You don't have Haali installed as well do you? That's the most likely reason for not getting any sound as windows will be trying to use that instead of the MPC-HC one to split the mkv.