Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSII Nexus or Note - which to buy?

Discussion in 'Samsung Mobile Phones' started by birelwf, Feb 1, 2012.

1. birelwf

birelwf Member

Ratings:
    +1
    finally getting around to buying a Smartphone and wondered what the opinions were on which to choose, GSII, Nexus or Note. I listen to a lot of music, watch video although not a huge amount, browse web pages, use the SAT Nav (currently use an iPhone 3GS 32GB) and also get work email via DME. Issues I have from the Nexus is the available storage of 16GB, the Note is physical size, GSII is an 'older' model, also going to buy SIM-free

Any views? like to buy in the next day or so
  2. virgopunk

virgopunk Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I've just switched from the original Galaxy S to the Note and it's brilliant. The Note has a slightly more powerful processor than the SGS2 and the size of it is brilliant. Watching vids looking at photo etc is fantastic thanks to the 1080x800 screen.

The S-Pen is also a great addition. Using it with the Swype keypad makes writing notes/emails etc extremely quick and intuitive.

I honestly think that the Note is the best smartphone you can get right now and when the upgrade it to ICS it'll be an incredible device.

The only thing that could turn you off is whether your happy with teh 5.4 inch size but personally I love it! :thumbsup:

Additionally you can whack a 32gb microSD card in there and have 48GB of space (I also believe that it accepts the new 64GB cards too). I use Co-Pilot SatNav and it's amazing. The GPS lock is quick and utilises the Russian GLONASS sats as well as the US GPS sats. It performs as good as a dedicated sat-nav like Tom-Tom etc.

Hope this helps to convince you!?
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  3. kBm

kBm Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,169
    What he said ^^

Choosing the Note boils down to its size. If you think its too big (but could live with it) then maybe the Nexus is better choice - afterall both have a 720 display/ HD AMOLED screens.

Lack of microsd - i think the idea is to use more cloud services, that and a design sacrifice (Big no no for me though).

Processor - Yes, the Note is a more powerful phone, but give it 6/12 months and they'll both be lagging behing the quad core phones!

ICS - the Note should have it by spring.

Camera - 5mp for the Nexus, 8mp for the Note.

If you have [-]10 [/-]20 minutes spare, here is excellent and very comprehensive review of the Note. (be warned though, its over 10,000 words long! :eek:)
  4. virgopunk

virgopunk Member

Ratings:
    +5
    kBm, I was under the impression that the Note has a 1080p display with a res of 800x1280. There's nothing currently available smartphone-wise that can compare to the Note's screen.

The lack of a microSD slot on the Nexus is a pretty major flaw for a phone really. If you used a 64GB card on the Note you could potentially have 96GB of storage available to you (if you managed to grab one of tge 32GB models)
  5. kBm

kBm Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,169
    The screen is a WXGA (1280 x 800) screen, bumped up with the HD Super AMOLED. It can record to 1080p plus playback 1080p.

Agree on the microSD - the nexus doesn't have USB on the go so you couldn't hook up a usb drive/ card and etxtend the memory that way.
  6. Toshman

Toshman Member

Ratings:
    +56
    Don't be put off by the S2, it may have been around a while but it was streets ahead when it came out and it is still standing shoulder to shoulder with everything else.
  7. Gary D

Gary D Active Member

Ratings:
    +831
    I've owned all 3 devices in the last 6 months and i have just returned to the Note. I had a SGS2, then Note* then a Nexus and now a Note again. *first Note was faulty

The Note is simply epic yes its large but it just makes everything better. I wont repeat what Kbm & virgopunk say but i agree with everything they say.

What i will say is this, i was sat in a meeting today and there were 6 iPhones on the table. I pulled the beast from my pocket and placed it on the table. What's that i was asked "A note" i said. "Oh" came the response "its too big for a phone". "oh" I said. I don't really use it as a phone. Its all about, Music, messaging, social networking, news, email, document reviewing, watching sport videos and movies. Sometimes i call my mum on it". "oh" said my mate, "I do all of that on my iPhone", yeah "but i can see things on mine" i responded "and i don't feel think a brainless sheep whose been told what to buy". "oh" he said.

In short buy a device based on what you use it for NOT based on an outdated view of what a "phone" is or what it is used for. When a Phone is only one of the 1000's of things it could be used for.

G
  8. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan Active Member

Ratings:
    +266
    The S2 is a great phone for sure, and I know it still tops techradars top 20 phones of all time list, but I actually think that it is starting to be surpassed now by rivals. I think the Note, if you can live with the size, looks to be a great device. However, my choice would be the Nexus. Although in some ways the specs aren't as good on paper as the S2, the reality is, for day to day use, the Nexus is the better device. There is a lot to be said for having a pure Android experience, and the quick updates you get as a result, and the 720 screen is bound to be better for browsing and video playback. It really brings it up to iphone 4 levels of sharpness (although in my view, even the SGS2 screen is on par with the ip4).

However, once Cyanogen Mod v9 is stable enough as a daily driver, the SGS2 will be well worth considering (in fact it is anyway) as it'll be available much cheaper than the Nexus, and deliver much the same experience, and even potentially be faster while still retaining the AOSP Ice Cream Sandwich on steroids.
  9. stepp

stepp Member

Ratings:
    +35
    All 3 are good phones, think it comes down to size really and nothing else.

Personally the S2, its a perfect size and as said above its still as fast as the new phones, if not better.
  10. hardcastle

hardcastle Member

Ratings:
    +161
    What a fantastic dilemma to have!

Enjoy whichever of the three you choose, as they are different strains of the same of the same phenomenal family.

Personally though, after using an SII, I'd go for the Note. It's a thing of beauty.
  11. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan Active Member

Ratings:
    +266
    It is a pretty nice dilemma isn't it?? :D

Says it all that I am still happy with my S2 even after best part of a year that its been released. This is a phone that will still be viable for years to come. The others are even better though, IMO.
  12. Cviewmaster

Cviewmaster Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Well I have just spent a fill day having fun with my new Note, bought from e-bay & I can't fault it at the moment great improvement over my xperia arc & so much better size wise!
    Have been giving it really heavy use all day to check battery life & it has just asked to be charged, so for the size of the display with 6 hours display on time acounting for 53% battery usage & the rest on all other systems including bluetooth.
    Glad i made the change!
  13. hardcastle

hardcastle Member

Ratings:
    +161
    A few weeks back I struggled for days against my conscious before eventually deciding against not picking up a Note. It's a fantastic device, possibly the best out there at the moment but it's just a smidge too big for me at the moment.

If I could justify the outlay purely for playing around with in the house then I'd be fine, unfortunately tablets and laptops already have that area bang to rights.

I am jealous to say the least!
  14. Cviewmaster

Cviewmaster Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Oh well I have found that if you buy carefully second hand & look after the device you actually loose very little money, & just have a pay monthly sim only contract it is a cheaper method per year & you are not stuck with your mobile for 2 years!
  15. Jay Z

Jay Z Member

Ratings:
    +103
    I have owned a S2 and have to say it's still my favourite phone, I have the Nexus right now and do miss the option of a expanded memory. For some reason though the signal drops or the person on the other end can't hear me properly, I don't know if it's a problem with my phone but it's getting annoying, might ask Sammy to exchange it under warranty.

I am contemplating swapping my Nexus for a Note though, yes the size of the Note is big but am sure it's just as slim as the original S2 and display and the sd card option will be welcome.

But guys with regards to software updates, will models from the Nexus upwards get the newest updates first? Followed by the Note and S2?

That is the only question I am asking myself as I don't want to wait forever for models below the Nexus to receive the updates if I was to change to a Note?

Regards,

Jay
  16. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan Active Member

Ratings:
    +266
    Just tried this ROM
    [10/02][UPDATED][ROM]HYDRA0SP[Team HYDRA0SP][AndroidOpenSourceProject] - xda-developers

Its a 2.3.7. AOSP based (i.e. plain / vanilla Android Gingerbread).

Needs flashing twice for me. Flash once via CWM, boot into the new "touch CWM" and flash again.

Overall boot times and responsiveness of the phone are truly outstanding. Going to wait for a good AOSP ICS ROM to replace it. Next time, if I get android, it'll be a Nexus phone. I'm tired of unresponsive, bloated phones. In fact any OS that has "added fat" never feels quite as quick as a basic, no frills one. And the "eye candy" gets old, quick.