Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grundig GUD300HD

Discussion in 'Freeview Forum' started by Timmy., Jun 12, 2011.

1. Timmy.

Timmy. Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hey,

I recently moved house for the summer, and I'll be living in this flat until September. I have a PC Monitor with me, never had a TV. I didn't bring my PC with me because there's not really anywhere to put it. Anyway, I was wondering what I could do with the monitor besides using it as a big screen for my laptop. I have decided that since the monitor has a HDMI socket, I could get a Freeview HD box and watch TV on it.

The trouble is that the monitor of course has no speakers. The Grundig GUD300HD (only £39.99 at play.com) I've been looking at has a SPDIF out, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me what exactly would be output there? Would it be a Dolby bitstream or just LPCM? Would I have the option of choosing?

I have a Multichannel Amp at home which would mitigate the issue entirely, but I left it there because it's big and I wouldn't know where to put it.

So, can anyone help me?
  2. lbear

lbear Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    The Grundig GUD300HD has several clones. The most obvious is the Goodmans but others in a different shaped back case and front panel include the Alba from Argos, the Manhattan Plaza 700 and the Tesco Technika STBHDH2010. The last is currently on sale on the Tesco site at £30.

Tesco also have some of their other Freeview HD box, the STBHDIS2010 in store at £30. In my view, this is a better build than the Grundig clones and has the advantage of a channel display on the front panel -the others have a blue LED status light. The IS is a different box and needs to be updated from Support on the Channel Zero web site (www.ch-zero.tv) The instructions for that state "PCM data is router through the Digital Audio output."

BTW, the Tesco "IS" and the Grundig/Goodmans do not include an HDMI lead. The Tesco "H" comes with one.
  3. Timmy.

Timmy. Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the reply, Ibear. That "IS" model looks great, though unfortunately the Tesco website is saying it is discontinued and therefore unavailable.

I did find a comment somewhere in the amazon reviews for the GUD300HD which says something about picking Dolby Digital output in menus... so presumably the alternative options would be either DTS (not likely) or PCM...?
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  4. lbear

lbear Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    They moved all of their remaining stock out to their stores that have electrical sections. As of last month, they were still issuing firmware upgrades and Channel Zero state that they are working on getting the BBC iPlayer and other IPTV services on there.

If you can get to one or two of the bigger Tesco, in particular an "Extra" one, you should find them on the shelves.

Freeview HD uses a system for transmission of the surround sound that few of the existing cinema amp setups will recognise so the boxes "transcode" to Dolby Digital or PCM.
  5. lbear

lbear Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    BTW, the secret of the IS box is the upgrade. The original software wiped the HD channels at the drop of a hat so they tend to get returned unless people are directed to the update (they are unconventional is using the data stream on Channel Zero to send OTA updates but this was only for a week or two last month). The latest software adds functions like single mux tuning and auto changing to BBC1 HD from BBC1 or BBC HD from their other channels when a HD simulcast starts.

Because the original software is a real pain (there are get-arounds), you might find the boxes open as returns - hopefully not - or them coming up on the Tesco Outlet pages on Ebay
  6. avhpmassive

avhpmassive Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I agree with everything Ibear says about this box. I was lucky enough to pick a couple up for 30 quid each while they were on offer. I originally bought one for my mum and was so impressed with it, I went out and got myself one too. I also have a Humax HD recorder and that's in standby for most of the time, it only gets fired up to watch recorded stuff. The less it's fired up, the cooler it'll stay. The cooler electronics stay, the longer they seem to last.

So the IS box is that good. I can compare it side by side with the Humax recorder and its tuner picture is as good, if not even a tad sharper than the Humax.

As Ibear says, the upgrade makes this a very stable unit. I was originally a little concerned my almost 74 year old mum might not get along with it if it proved unstable or quirky. But she's just fine with it, and very pleased that all her tv channels looks better now, not just the HD channels. It upscales SD very well I think.

So if you can find one for 30 quid, definitely pick it up and upgrade its firmware before even switching on the original firmware.

At 60 quid I'd say it was maybe a tenner overpriced.
  7. Timmy.

Timmy. Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Right. Thanks for the info guys. I'll pick up one of the IS boxes if I can find one. How exactly is the update delivered? Ethernet? Over the Air?
  8. avhpmassive

avhpmassive Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I don't know if there are any over the air downloads at the moment, but the best way to do it is via USB.

You can find the stable firmware here:

Channel Zero*•*Support

Edit:

I should add that if you unzip the file to a USB stick, it will unzip inside a folder. Usually, you just place the .bin file in the root directory of your storage device. However, with this box, you leave it in the folder it unzips to on the USB stick. Otherwise, the box won't find the upgrade. To apply this firmware, power the box off at the plug and then power it back on again while holding down the 'menu' key on the front of the box. Do this until 'USB' is displayed on the front of the box, you can then let go and the firmware will update.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  9. lbear

lbear Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    Oh, and they have missed out from the instructions that there are other messages including the slightly worrying "FuS£" during the updating process. Don't panic, just leave it to do its thing.

The IS is actually more tolerant of the USB memory stick used than the Humax but you may have to try a couple and make sure they are formatted to FAT32
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Timmy.

Timmy. Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Right, I was in Tesco on Saturday and the IS has gone back up to £60 now. I can't really afford that at the moment, but I may still consider it.

Another problem is that signal in my flat with an indoor aerial is atrocious... and there is just on outside aerial socket in the flat.. laying long cables throughout the flat isn't really an option so I'm probably need a HDMI AV sender kit... which I am guessing is probably even more expensive than the freeview box to begin with.

EDIT: Wow. I just found these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet®-Extender-Cat5e-network-cable/dp/B002ECYEYA/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_2_0

That's ideal. I have a few Homeplugs I could use for that. Awesome. Didn't even think of it as a possibility.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  11. B Tank

B Tank Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Guys I'm hoping somebody with the GUD300HD can help me out.

I've forgotten my pin, and can't reset the box or update or do anything. What can I do to reset the parental control pin?
  12. lbear

lbear Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    I believe you will find the default passcode is 0000
  13. B Tank

B Tank Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I have tried that but it won't work because someone has changed the default pass code to something else.
  14. lbear

lbear Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    Are you able to use it to do a factory reset?

Harvard should be able to tell you the master passcode as they still list the Goodmans variant. If not, call Tesco's support line and tell them you have a STBHDH2010 and ask them if they have the master passcode (the electronics are the same but the software may be different). A further source may be manhattan-receivers.com whose Plaza HDT-700 is also a Harvard clone.
  15. B Tank

B Tank Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I can't do a factory reset without the password, I guess I will have to chase the sources you gave.

Is the master passcode different for all models? Just wondering if someone had one on here.

Hate these damn things, people have enough passwords and codes to remember as it is.