1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grrrrrr... region coding on blu ray

Discussion in 'Blu-rays, DVDs & Streaming Services' started by Jas H, Mar 8, 2009.

1. mikegambit

mikegambit New Member

Ratings:
    +129
    If you buy US New Line Bluray discs they still carry the DVD 1 symbol on the back.

This shows up on the Austin Powers set and Wedding Singer although all 4 are region free
    If they cant do it right what hope is there?
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  2. Broadsword

Broadsword Member

Ratings:
    +464
    Where can you get one for £269?
  3. bosque

bosque Active Member

Ratings:
    +558
    I too would be interested in hearing where you can get a £269 multi-region Blu-Ray from (hope it's not ebay :)).
  4. mikegambit

mikegambit New Member

Ratings:
    +129
    Up until last week you could get the Panasonic BD30 from Multiregion Magic just as you could have done for the last several months for £269

However they seem to have run out and as its a deleted model the BD35 may well be the cheapest on offer now at £329.( I would go for Panny over Sony also listed at £329)

Although of little real importance the BD35 is Profile 2 whereas the BD30 was only Profile 1.1

Don't confuse the listed players that are multiregion only for dvd with those that are multiregion for both

High Definition Players - Multiregionmagic The Home Of Multiregion DVD & Blu-Ray
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,222
    The BD30 is ancient tech and the BD35 is also obselete now with a new model BD60.
  6. mikegambit

mikegambit New Member

Ratings:
    +129
    The BD30 does enough for me.
    The BD35 appears to do sod all extra except be Profile 2.

And nether can hardly be described as obsolete - discontinued more like:lesson:

Laserdisc and HD DVD are obsolete:suicide:

And the others are not MR as yet
  7. StooMonster

StooMonster Member

Ratings:
    +299
    And by accounts on this very forum http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-...ing-seven-pounds-us-disc-not-region-free.html DVDworldUSA aren't always correct on their listing of multi-region or not.

My point is not that one can find out if Blu-ray discs are multi-region, I mentioned above that I found MovieTyme's listings (even if these are not infallible), but that an awful lot of them appear to be region-encoded; and from what I read, and increasing number are becoming region-encoded (quelle suprise).

I'm over in the US quite a lot, so it's not only the ability to get discs earlier and cheaper but also convenience of simply buying them in a shop that I lose. e.g. if the president of the USA gave me a boxset of the top-25 Hollywood Blu-rays many wouldn't play when I returned home.

So, I cannot buy many of the new releases unless I (a) get a mutli-region player, but do any of them match my requirements? (b) I get a second player, I really don't love the format enough to do that. So if I want to buy into this format it looks like I have to accept being treated like a second-class citizen and pay more to get releases later.

StooMonster
  8. StooMonster

StooMonster Member

Ratings:
    +299
    Region Free Movies reports that:
    610 Blu-rays are region free
    273 are region locked
    Therefore the Unlocked to Locked ratio is 2.23:1

I can see from that database that only 7 Fox titles as region free, which is better than nothing I guess.

But I wish they had some kind of symbol on the box that showed if Blu-ray disc was region-locked or not, then if I was in shops in USA I could simply avoid those titles.

Although I guess the alternative is simply not to buy Fox, Walt Disney, Sony Pictures, et cetera to avoid the risk of buying a dud.

StooMonster
  9. mikegambit

mikegambit New Member

Ratings:
    +129
    Many boxes do put the ABC symbol on the back so you can see its not coded.
    All the discs I have that are locked to region A have the A on the back and that would seem to be a logical thing to look out for.
    Of course New Line confuse matters by labelling their region free Blurays with the DVD 1 symbol on the back :confused:
  10. tomacwhite

tomacwhite Member

Ratings:
    +21
    I just ordered Planet Terror and Death (UK ver) after seeing the Germans versions which code free to discover the UK versions are locked! Doh!