Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grrrrrr... region coding on blu ray

Discussion in 'Blu-rays, DVDs & Streaming Services' started by Jas H, Mar 8, 2009.

1. mikegambit

mikegambit New Member

Ratings:
    +129
    If you buy US New Line Bluray discs they still carry the DVD 1 symbol on the back.

This shows up on the Austin Powers set and Wedding Singer although all 4 are region free
    If they cant do it right what hope is there?
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  2. Broadsword

Broadsword Active Member

Ratings:
    +464
    Where can you get one for £269?
  3. bosque

bosque Active Member

Ratings:
    +558
    I too would be interested in hearing where you can get a £269 multi-region Blu-Ray from (hope it's not ebay :)).
  4. mikegambit

mikegambit New Member

Ratings:
    +129
    Up until last week you could get the Panasonic BD30 from Multiregion Magic just as you could have done for the last several months for £269

However they seem to have run out and as its a deleted model the BD35 may well be the cheapest on offer now at £329.( I would go for Panny over Sony also listed at £329)

Although of little real importance the BD35 is Profile 2 whereas the BD30 was only Profile 1.1

Don't confuse the listed players that are multiregion only for dvd with those that are multiregion for both

High Definition Players - Multiregionmagic The Home Of Multiregion DVD & Blu-Ray
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,259
    The BD30 is ancient tech and the BD35 is also obselete now with a new model BD60.
  6. mikegambit

mikegambit New Member

Ratings:
    +129
    The BD30 does enough for me.
    The BD35 appears to do sod all extra except be Profile 2.

And nether can hardly be described as obsolete - discontinued more like:lesson:

Laserdisc and HD DVD are obsolete:suicide:

And the others are not MR as yet
  7. StooMonster

StooMonster Active Member

Ratings:
    +299
    And by accounts on this very forum http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-...ing-seven-pounds-us-disc-not-region-free.html DVDworldUSA aren't always correct on their listing of multi-region or not.

My point is not that one can find out if Blu-ray discs are multi-region, I mentioned above that I found MovieTyme's listings (even if these are not infallible), but that an awful lot of them appear to be region-encoded; and from what I read, and increasing number are becoming region-encoded (quelle suprise).

I'm over in the US quite a lot, so it's not only the ability to get discs earlier and cheaper but also convenience of simply buying them in a shop that I lose. e.g. if the president of the USA gave me a boxset of the top-25 Hollywood Blu-rays many wouldn't play when I returned home.

So, I cannot buy many of the new releases unless I (a) get a mutli-region player, but do any of them match my requirements? (b) I get a second player, I really don't love the format enough to do that. So if I want to buy into this format it looks like I have to accept being treated like a second-class citizen and pay more to get releases later.

StooMonster
  8. StooMonster

StooMonster Active Member

Ratings:
    +299
    Region Free Movies reports that:
    610 Blu-rays are region free
    273 are region locked
    Therefore the Unlocked to Locked ratio is 2.23:1

I can see from that database that only 7 Fox titles as region free, which is better than nothing I guess.

But I wish they had some kind of symbol on the box that showed if Blu-ray disc was region-locked or not, then if I was in shops in USA I could simply avoid those titles.

Although I guess the alternative is simply not to buy Fox, Walt Disney, Sony Pictures, et cetera to avoid the risk of buying a dud.

StooMonster
  9. mikegambit

mikegambit New Member

Ratings:
    +129
    Many boxes do put the ABC symbol on the back so you can see its not coded.
    All the discs I have that are locked to region A have the A on the back and that would seem to be a logical thing to look out for.
    Of course New Line confuse matters by labelling their region free Blurays with the DVD 1 symbol on the back :confused:
  10. tomacwhite

tomacwhite Member

Ratings:
    +21
    I just ordered Planet Terror and Death (UK ver) after seeing the Germans versions which code free to discover the UK versions are locked! Doh!