Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great, cheap electric screen.

Discussion in 'Projector Screens' started by ozz1983, Jul 24, 2006.

1. sunama

sunama Member

Ratings:
    +22
    But how do direkt2u's prices compare to exclusiv-home's?
  2. nigelbb

nigelbb Active Member

Ratings:
    +498
    They always had that web site with much higher prices than Ebay. I assumed that they were knocking out the shop soiled & damaged stock through Ebay hence the low prices.
  3. avman147

avman147 New Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Little bit more expensive mate but he is in the UK and best off all a kean member on here so he is just a PM message a way. any problems he will look after you.

Buying the cheapest screen out there isn't all ways the best way mate can you imagine having a screen with ripples in it or wouldn't role up right and the stress you would have to go through emailing some one who only speaks a certain amount of English.

If you are really on a tight budget then buy from this guy as they are decent for the price.

If you have the money but are just being tight ! then pay the extra for peice of mind. I am sure quite a few members on this thread wished they had
  4. sunama

sunama Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Hehehe, I think most of us fall into this category. Does this guy direkt2U have a website, I'd like to see what he has to offer.

Thanks.
  5. Fred Flintstone4

Fred Flintstone4 Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Of course we have a website! It's probably not as swish as we would like but the man who is supposed to be rewriting it has been rather busy for the last 6 months. Being a Yorkshireman (and proud of it too) I don't like to spend a lot of money on things like advertising. Websites come under that banner so I'm paying for the new website with some of my in-house AMX kit which I'm re-programming for a company that does PR work. That way I'm not spending loads of cash - your cash, if you think about it. If a product has lots of flashy advertising then you can bet your bottom dollar that you're paying for it in some way.

The Grandview series of screens are from a new factory in China. I've been dealing with them for a few years now and I wouldn't be surprised to see that they've overtaken Da-Lite as the world's largest projection screen manufacturer. The models they produce (and we stock) under the Grandview name are Crystal, Elegant and Cyber. We have Grandview tripod, pull down, electric, table top and mobile screens in stock. They also make screens for other companies which badge the screen. It's nice to see that a few of them are well thought of on this forum.

If you have a requirement for any kind of screen or just want to know how to pick one then please feel free to PM me. It's fairly normal to get an answer from me at any time of the day or night as screens are my hobby as well as my job, in fact I can say that I don't just shift boxes - I sell screens!
  6. AV Nik

AV Nik Member

Ratings:
    +106
    I think China probably produce the most amount of screens in the world but I very much doubt one company in China makes more screens than the Largest Screen manufacturer in the world (Da-Lite). Da-Lite actually supply many manufacturers in China with surface material as they have the largest manufacturing plant of screen material in the world. Da-Lite are also one of the oldest screen manufacturers in the world and everyone thereafter has Copied Da-Lite's idea's.
    Saying that, it probably won't be long before the Chinese manufacturers take over!

I have 11 screens setup here and at least one from every manufacturer and which is available within the UK.
    I have screens made several Chinese manufacturers and many others. None, other than OS Screens, actually compare to the superior high quality of Da-Lite in my own opinion.
    All are welcome to come and test for themselves.
  7. sunama

sunama Member

Ratings:
    +22
    What is an OS Screen?
  8. AV Nik

AV Nik Member

Ratings:
    +106
    Hi Sunama,
    OS Screens, the leading projector screen brand throughout Asia, respected internationally for its manufacturing excellence and the premium quality of their screens. OS Screens range available in the UK for the first time.
    Sorry, I cannot find a link to them at the moment.
    I can supply but not listed them online as yet.
    Hope this helps.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. wokster

wokster Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I was wondering if anyone could help or has had a similar problem with this screen?

I normally keep the screen down all the time, but thought I would may be put it up from time to time.

Unfortunately when I use the remote the light on the box goes on, and the light on the remote goes on, but the screen doesn't move at all.

It does however go up if I press the up button manually on the box.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem may be?

Thanks in advance.:smashin:
  10. avman147

avman147 New Member

Ratings:
    +9
    seems probelm with the censor or something. email the guy you bought it from mate he will help you out.

any one else got any better ideas ?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. rich2000

rich2000 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Battery run out perhaps?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. wokster

wokster Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks guys. It's definitely not the battery as that was the first thing I checked.
  13. blicky_1

blicky_1 Member

Ratings:
    +165
    Have you tried to re-sync the remote as I had a problem with this a while back....
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. wokster

wokster Member

Ratings:
    +8
    blicky 1 - how do you re-sync the remote:confused:
  15. dUnKle

dUnKle Active Member

Ratings:
    +331
    My screen died a while back (covered above) but know of someone wth one suffering same problem with the remote

Also his screen seems ever so slightly warped - if you pull slightly on the one end it straightens up - just wandered if its possible to somehow add extra weight to the bottom of the screen ?
  16. cybrey

cybrey Member

Ratings:
    +62
    The screen price isn't that much difference and to be honest the quality difference is huge. ( in favour of the grandviews sold by direk2u). On top of this Walter ( Head honcho at direkt2u) gives fantastic customer service, mind you so did Rich. The only big difference between the screens is that the grandview electric don't include a remote by default. Walter offered me a cheap alternative that would have probably sufficed but I may have struggled integrating it with my pronto so I went with a more expensive / reliable alternative.

In the end I am staggered by the quality of the screen / service and would highly recommend them to anyone.
  17. dUnKle

dUnKle Active Member

Ratings:
    +331
    anyone >?
  18. KW1816

KW1816 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    FWIW >> I was never that happy with the supplied remote control/controller so I replaced them with an X-10 shutter switch.

I already use X-10 for lighting control etc using http://www.homeseer.com so it was nice to be able to centralise all the controls. I have an IR-X10 converter that receives the IR signal from a Pronto (e.g A1 ON) which then sets all the lights to a 'Cinema' scene and drops the screen etc.

The swapout is very straight forward as long as you're comfortable working with electrics. Shutter/motor switch is this one http://http://www.letsautomate.com/10337.cfm.

Cheers
    Kevin.
  19. rubenm

rubenm Member

Ratings:
    +9
  20. TonylikeAV

TonylikeAV Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Is £80 to cheap for a 100" (2.5m) projector screen. i have a dell 2300mp projector which will be 5 metres away from it. Can anyone tell if the one linked below is any good or is it too cheap?

100" Motorised Projector Screen Electric DLP LCD HD on eBay, also, Projectors, DVD Home Cinema, Consumer Electronics (end time 21-Feb-09 19:22:41 GMT)

Cheers for your advice as i will be buying one in a few days as I want to put it into the ceiling before the builders put the plasterboards up.

Cheers,

Tony
  21. AV Nik

AV Nik Member

Ratings:
    +106
    Hi TonylikeAV, I've already touched on this screen within another post. My opinion here could be construde as personal. I'll leave you to decide but I think it's fair to offer critisism.

The screen you mention:
    DLP LCD HD, Max Resolution (pixels): 1920 x 1080

This is false advertising which makes me angry.
    Only the projector can offer resolution. This screen is glass beaded which turns a Full HD image into a pixelated or grainy image therefore lowering the quality. I have proved this several times, LIVE to customers.

Although I appreciate there are smooth surfaces which some people believe to be better for Full HD, there is no such thing as a projection screen being HD Ready or with Resolution. A smooth surface does not make it High Definition and the screen you link to on ebay is certainly Not smooth. It's like sandpaper.

Cheap price though. Mainly suited to offices.
  22. nigelbb

nigelbb Active Member

Ratings:
    +498
    The description of the screen looks OK it's just that like many Ebay listings all sorts of related terms are entered into the title so that it will be picked up when searching on those other terms.

It's bloody cheap & got to be worth a punt if you are in the market for a cheap electric screen.
  23. dUnKle

dUnKle Active Member

Ratings:
    +331
    I have just managed to get hold of an exact duplicate of the original "Great, cheap electric screen." as seen in post 1

My first one developed numerous faults so it was junked - just got this replacement however no remote. Did not think this would be a problem as I have a Harmony but although I choose the correct device the up / down buttons do not work

Anyone know anything in the harmony database that will def work and not require the remote ?
  24. Adopted Hobo

Adopted Hobo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if I sound stupid or it's been said before, but what make is the screen?