Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

grandview cyber screens

Discussion in 'Projector Screens' started by reevesy, Feb 28, 2012.

1. reevesy

reevesy Active Member

Ratings:
    +237
    hi all

had my 5ft draper luma for a few years which i'm using with my old trusty themescene 480p H30....which i'm thinking of upgrading to full hd.

...looking at possibly getting a slightly bigger screen ie the grandview cyber 77" diag. viewing area 1.1 low gain....looks like a good screen which is the biggest case length i can go really...plus the flexible mounting system looks to be handy.

also going with a tadge bigger screen will help finding a pj with the correct throw ratio as my current screen is limiting my options.

question is would this be a good all rounder and does anyone know what the maximum border drop is from the top?....cant seem to find it in the downloaded manual

cheers in advance
  2. reevesy

reevesy Active Member

Ratings:
    +237
    anyone know the drop border size?

cheers
  3. mathew

mathew Member

Ratings:
    +8
    65cm on electric screens, 'tis on the website.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. reevesy

reevesy Active Member

Ratings:
    +237
    thanks
    buggered if i could find it!....i even downloaded some cad files from japan!

...thats a big drop though!.....twice my current draper one

one could assume its the same for manual

..suprised more people on here have had no experience of them?

looked to a be good mid range screen from a reputable company

cheers.
  5. toddy28

toddy28 Active Member

Ratings:
    +344
    I have the 92" cyber and it's a lovely screen really good mounting system and the ir control is gr8 and the big border drop is handy as I have very high roof , and no ripples yet after 4 years
  6. reevesy

reevesy Active Member

Ratings:
    +237
    so the big drop measurement of 65 cm is correct...for the electric screen anyway

cheers.
  7. toddy28

toddy28 Active Member

Ratings:
    +344
    Yes it is I must have nearly all of it out ,
  8. reevesy

reevesy Active Member

Ratings:
    +237
    so it is adjustable ie in the case of a manual screen pulling it down to the required level

....could be a pain unless you placed a mark on the screen where you want it level

cheers
  9. toddy28

toddy28 Active Member

Ratings:
    +344
    On the electric version You adjust it's start and stop point with an allen key do it stops in the same place every time or you can stop it at any Hight with the remote

I had a manual version of the Grandview crystal screen and you pull it down and jerk release and that's your Hight , bit of a pain getting it the same every time so I went electric
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  10. reevesy

reevesy Active Member

Ratings:
    +237
    thanks...think that might put me off

found a 77" manual for around 170 quid if i rember rightly ....which did'nt seem a bad price

...if i'm going a bit bigger i would like something which is a bit of a upgrade over a draper luma

cheers
  11. reevesy

reevesy Active Member

Ratings:
    +237
    not sure if the grandview is going to be suitable....helluva lot of manual screens out there
    any reccomendations for a half decent pull down one which would be an upgrade/improvement over my draper luma....would want to go as big as i could for a case size of 200cm...ish (bit lower would be better) long

need a drop of about 30 cm as my current one....or a lot more and the screen would have to mounted higher.....which would mean i would'nt be as constrained on the case length

been looking at beemax and saphire ...any others and what are the bit cheaper ones like...likes of optoma,panoview etc ??

any help would be most appreciated

cheers
  12. Cobalt123

Cobalt123 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Have you considered just suspending the screen case from the ceiling? I have a 4.5 meter ceiling, and instead of having a screen with a huge amount of drop I just use two thin steel cables to suspend the case from the ceiling.

I had to build two mounts (the screen came with ceiling mounts, so all I needed was a bit of wood to attache these to, and two hooks) which took about 5 minutes - can post photos if you are interested.
  13. reevesy

reevesy Active Member

Ratings:
    +237
    thanks for the reply
    used to have it suspended from the ceiling when the screen used to drop down in front of a cabinet...now ther cabinets been replaced by a 50" panny plasma...which is also making my current 5ft screen small

...trouble is i'm after the biggest screen i can view from 3m away...problem is it's between a window and a door
    screen could be offset slighty to avoid the door and go more over the window (this is where the sliding brackets available of some models would be useful)

i've spent 3 days now looking at manual screens now and having trouble finding exactly the length of case i need to fit between the door and window....found a beamax r series which has a case length of 187cm which just might do it ...giving me a diagonal viewing size of 196cm ....77" in old money .....
    or a panoview 84" diag screen with a case size of 2004mm.....which would be a lot better screen wise but was trying to keep the case size under 2m(would have confirm throw ratios for a couple of new pjs i've in mind...as i keep getting conflicting results :()

thinking i might be able to go a tadge bigger if i can get a big border drop and mount the screen higher above the door and window :rolleyes:

draper luma have some options but was hoping to try a different make of screen....but the case size compare to the screen size does'nt seem to add up to me!....the online documentation states a viewable diagonal size of 83" with a case length of 77" :eek:...which would be perfect but to my eyes the maths dont add up

cheers

cheers
  14. reevesy

reevesy Active Member

Ratings:
    +237
    ..been trawling through old threads and not a lot of comments on reccomended manual screens

with all the pj owners out there there must be a lot of electric and fixed screens owners
  15. reevesy

reevesy Active Member

Ratings:
    +237
    been looking at loads of alternative manual screens...mainly based on case size in order to get the biggest screen i can

...came across 'eyeline' screens ...which will give a slightly bigger screen for the same case size

i suppose in the 'budget' ...ie up to 200 quid....all screens will more or less be of the same quality???
  16. ChildOfRarn

ChildOfRarn Member

Ratings:
    +118
    Assuming 2" either side for the border gives a viewing width of 73".
    At 16:9 the viewing height would be 73 x 9 / 16 = 41".

Using Pythagoras, the diagonal works out at 83.7"

So the online documentation does sound correct.

Trevor
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. reevesy

reevesy Active Member

Ratings:
    +237
    thanks ...that confirms it then.....just seemed odd that all the other screens of the same case length gave a lot smaller viewing screen sizes

....me and pythagoras never really got on ;)

cheers
  18. reevesy

reevesy Active Member

Ratings:
    +237
    been looking at screens again

....currently i'm humming and harring about a grandview or a beamax

are the sapphire screens the same ....though i heard somehwere that all these screens are basically the same?

also i'm looking a new dlp model with 2000 lum and a con figure of 5000...does anyone know if these screens will be a problem....i guessing in a dark room....non bat cave....they should be fine?

cheers.
    cheers
  19. reevesy

reevesy Active Member

Ratings:
    +237
    77" grandview cyber manual screen ordered at 5pm last night from forum hifi,nottingham
    .....turned up this morning!

great screen and a class above my draper luma
    ...the drop border is not a problem as it turns out ....you pull down to required height and hold for 3 seconds and it stays put....pull once and let go and up it goes slowly back into the case

cheers
  20. akarit1

akarit1 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Congrats Reevesy, I am also seriously considering the 77" electrical version of this screen with an RF trigger module seeing as my communications with Beamax has stalled for some reason at their end. Does your screen hold flat when down and is the material quite thick?? Love to see any pics if you have them...I need approx 50cm of top border.:smashin:
  21. reevesy

reevesy Active Member

Ratings:
    +237
    considered the electric...but a could hide the cable...a lot dearer and with my particular set up its just as easy to pull it down.....it even retracts a bit like an electric motor

yep i contacted a dealer regarding beamax delivery times and i never heard anything...the grandview was 30 quid more but as i say was here the morning after i ordered it!

...the material its certainly a bit thicker than my draper....but thats the only one i can compare it too...the white case is glossy white over my draper matt white one....the weight bar at the bottom is also white which i feel looks beter than my draper black when retracted.

the viewable area is flat with only a slight curl out on the very edge of the black border but nothing really to get excited over in my opinion...dont know if that will improve over time and as i understand it will normally be the case with manual screens

could take some pictures when i get time...but i dont know how much it will show really

cheers
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  22. akarit1

akarit1 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    If you can post the pics it would be great :thumbsup:
  23. reevesy

reevesy Active Member

Ratings:
    +237
    took a few pictures..
    the edge shots dont show much ...best i could do

cheers

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  24. akarit1

akarit1 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    That looks a bit uncannily like how mine will look after I've got it all set up..:clap:
    My refurbs is going ahead in June and my home cinema is incorporated into it with chasing the cables into the wall and the fitting of the screen inside a purpose built pelmet along with the installation of the projector and LED lighting around my plasma. The screen will fall in front of the plasma on the wall. Once it's all done I will post pics in the galleries section with a before and after comparison so look out for it. Probably be sometime in August 2012.....:thumbsup:
  25. akarit1

akarit1 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Interesting to note that you have your screen dropping in front of your TV. How have you mananged to do this so that the screen is protruding from the wall enough for it to clear the TV??:smashin:
  26. reevesy

reevesy Active Member

Ratings:
    +237
    a couple of enamel coated brackets from homebase...not the cheapy ones...then bent the ends over so they're about 6 inches from the wall

.....could do with being back an inch or two really....the fixing brackets with thegrandview make the screen sit forward a tadge more than my old screen....the brackets were bolted directly through the case on that one

when you walk into the room and first see it you dont really notice it's away from the wall

cheers
  27. akarit1

akarit1 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for that, I'm thinking of letting the builder do the fitting of the screen so that he can box it in a purpose built pelmet and hard wire it in as well. I'm concious of the fact that my screen will need to fall approx 6.5" from the wall in order to bypass the wall mounted plasma. This will mean that the screen case will stick out even further as the screen drops from the middle of the case almost and not the rear.....looks like it will be a wooden plank/baton that will need to be fixed to the wall first of the exact amount and the screen and its wall brackets fitted to that.......:eek:
  28. reevesy

reevesy Active Member

Ratings:
    +237
    quick snap of the bracket...as i mentioned it could do with going back an inch or 2....you can see how the cyber screen bracket brings the screen forward a bit as well

...cant be bothered to change it/adapt it again just yet...too busy using my new projector :thumbsup:

cheers

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  29. akarit1

akarit1 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Yes I see what you mean, we'll need to allow for the thickness of the screen bracket before calculating how thick the wooden batton will need to be in order to have the screen fall exactly to a precise distance from the wall. Will need to purchase the screen and then take the exact measurments before finally fitting...:thumbsup:

Meantime, many happy hours of enjoyment to you ...:cool:
  30. akarit1

akarit1 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Took delivery of my 6ft wide electric Grandview Cyber screen and my Epsom TW9000 pj. Well happy withthis but have not opened the sealed boxes due to a family emergency however, the builder will be able to measure up the screen in order to make the pelmet and work out the installation.....keep an eye on the galleries section in august 2012 when I should be able to post my completed home cinema pics....fingers crossed.......will call it "Akarits' Screen 1"...:clap: