Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grand Slam Tennis 2009 - discussion thread & opinion poll

Discussion in 'Wii & Wii-U' started by tony kop77, May 23, 2009.

?

How do you rate GST'09? (please vote only after playing)

1. 10 (Genre Defining/Perfect)

6.7%
  2. 9 (Outstanding/Excellent)

26.7%
  3. 8 (Very Good)

46.7%
  4. 7 (Good)

6.7%
  5. 6 (Above Average)

3.3%
  6. 5 (Average)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4 (Below Average)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3 (Poor)

3.3%
  9. 2 (Very Poor)

3.3%
  10. 1 (Appalling)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 0 (Utterly Useless)

3.3%
  1. dognuts

dognuts Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Dont know what you mean with a or b??

Are you using the wiimote on its side, not facing up or down. The side of the wiimote needs to be facing the TV when you place the shot. Also, its worth playing without the nunchuck to start, bit of a nightmare using both to begin with.
  2. Tiger Feet

Tiger Feet Active Member

Ratings:
    +590
    Its definately easier to place shots with motionplus. Ive actually managed to win a set! Although ive been useless since!!

A few tips:

Stand square on to your tv.

Concentrate on placing your player properly.

Dont try and hit winners everytime.

:)

Has anybody sussed the serving yet? I havnt served 1 ace?

I toss the ball up, then ive noticed if you press one of the buttons just before swinging you get more power -but im not sure ive got the best out of it yet??
  3. raigraphixs

raigraphixs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,542
    I don't have this game yet, but am interested, this guy makes it took easy, BUT he does mention with our without the motion plus, the player follows your moves.

I guess the the addition off the motion plus, it rotates the racket, like he demonstrates, if your roll the wiimote in your palms the racket will roll.

YouTube - Grandslam tennis Wii motion plus trailer
  4. Miyazaki

Miyazaki Active Member

Ratings:
    +861
    If you look at the options in game it says under advanced to press a and swing creates a different kind of shot.

I was asking if the wii motion plus control method didn't require one to press a for a particular shot?
  5. Miyazaki

Miyazaki Active Member

Ratings:
    +861
    IRL you have to hit the ball at the height of the arc to get the most out of a serve.

I am still struggling to get a good serve in this game as well.
  6. dognuts

dognuts Member

Ratings:
    +23
    As far as Im aware A button performs a lob shot only, I think this is regardless of using motion plus or not.

A for lob (plus stroke)
    Z for net shot (plus stroke), best used with slice for backspin
  7. Goooner

Goooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,413
    Happy to say, having played a bit more, but this time actually holding the control in the correct manner, it does actually seem to work really well :)

I've gone from random swings, complete misses and shots going anywhere, to actually being able to put the ball within reason, pretty much where I want it.

I've managed to win a few games, no sets or matches as yet, but a definite improvement. I've even managed a few pretty decent powerful serves, although I think that's more by luck than design, as I can't do them with any consitency.

I think I'm going to try and play with the nunchuck from now, as without it positioning does seem a bit random and I don't want to come to rely on it too much and then have to unlearn it.
  8. Jbev

Jbev Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Is no one playing the career mode? I lost out in the Aussie Open but won The French (on easy mode I may add)

Have I mastered this game already?

Joel
  9. Degs

Degs Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I find that the motion plus makes this game more difficult and intensely frustrating.

My player often makes his stroke too early (OO-ERR!!). For example while I am moving the controller back into position to make a forehand swing the player makes the swing and is then unable to play the shot at the correct time. This doesn't happen if I use the wiimote au naturale.

Anyone else have this problem and how did you solve it? What am I doing wrong?
  10. C225

C225 Active Member

Ratings:
    +694
    I get that too its as if the contrioller is a bit too sensitive. I try to minimise motion between shots and only move it when i'm taking a shot and if i have to move go as slowly as possible.
  11. Cowden_harley

Cowden_harley Active Member

Ratings:
    +217
    so whats the general thoughts then? is this worthwhile? I cant decide between this or ghostbusters for ps3
  12. Tiger Feet

Tiger Feet Active Member

Ratings:
    +590
    Ive found if i stray too far away from the TV where the sensor is this happens now and again.

I think it also helps if you calibrate your controller after every game (Just place it on a flat surface for a few seconds)

Hows everybody playing this? I use the numchuck and have been using Federer and Nadal - but i find these too play quite differently - which is nice but may be hindering trying to master the game.
  13. Miyazaki

Miyazaki Active Member

Ratings:
    +861
    I'd give this game 5.5/10 and ghostbusters 6/10 TBH.

Neither are worth £30 IMO.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Goooner

Ratings:
    +2,413
    I've been having the same problem this afternoon. Are you using the nunchuk to move? I'm wondering if that may make a diiference.

Can't get my motion plus to work like in that video a few posts up though:)
  15. z5461313

z5461313 Member

Ratings:
    +57
    I bought this from asda for £39.00 which seems a good deal

Quite like it though it is one step forward compared to Wii Sports Tennis

I think it is more like real tennis in that you really have to watch for the ball coming at you

Played a doubles game on easy and I won. Think I had Serena Williams as my partner playing againt Federer and someone else - was quite alot of fun

Haven't really had problems with the motion plus. Just been holding the wii remote as normal

Thumbs up so far
  16. Goooner

Ratings:
    +2,413
    I'm still yet to win a set on easy, so you've certainly mastered it more than me:rotfl:

I am playing carrer mode though. What match lengths are you playing? I'm playing the full length, 6 game sets, 5 set matches, which I'm finiding pretty tiring in this heat :) So am limiting myself to no more than a match or two a day1
  17. Degs

Degs Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Not using the nunchuk to move yet. To be honest I haven't tried it but get the impression that the cord would get in the way.

I take those who are using the nunchuk are having to make 2 handed swings?
  18. Tiger Feet

Tiger Feet Active Member

Ratings:
    +590
    Finally won a MATCH on medium using numchuck :thumbsup:

It was made all the more sweeter as my victim was the nob-ed Lewton Hewitt :D

Fantastic game this if your willing to put the time in. Wouldnt really recommend it for the young or rubbish! :rotfl:

Ive been off my gaming lately but this has brought the magic back for me.

:clap:

Edit: Won a Match not just a game! Doh!!
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  19. dognuts

dognuts Member

Ratings:
    +23
    For people still struggling with the controls, its worth resting the controller face down for 2 seconds after every point or so to reset it. Not convenient but it helps the motion plus get its bearings.

Also, this is worth watching as it gives a bit of useful advice on helping with your shots

YouTube - Grand Slam Motion Plus Help/Tutorial WII
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  20. z5461313

z5461313 Member

Ratings:
    +57
    How to hold the wii remote

The buttons have to face up to the ceiling

In between rounds, make sure the wii remote is level, buttons facing up to the ceiling, and point the wii remote directly at the motion censor on your tv

If you do this, you will immediately see your swings left and right are mirrored on screen, and you can feel more confident then, because your actions are being mirrored exactly then!

Think this is the best way to keep in sync

I created 2 characters, and am playing 1 against the other, so I don't get out played yet by Federer

And then its practise, practise - also helps swinging your shoulders like proper tennis - the game seems to respond to swings of your shoulders

Being playing tonight for about 2 hours, and I am definitely improving my game, and winning rounds more

Could be one of the best video games made people are saying as practise will make you better (and holding the wii remote correctly)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. Miyazaki

Miyazaki Active Member

Ratings:
    +861
    Considering the wii is all about casual gaming it is a travesty if you have to be so precise with a control method to get it to work.

Especially if it is supposed to be an improvement in the control method.
  22. jim_is_ere

jim_is_ere Member

Ratings:
    +118
    I think you may be missing the point. The whole idea with motion plus is for the control to be more precise, so you get a more realistic experience. Imitating the feeling of playing tennis will make the game more difficult, but more rewarding due to the greater level of control and immersion.

Lets face it, playing tennis for real isn't easy!!

If you want the casual option, don't use the motion plus.

Just my ten pennies worth :)

Cheers

JIm
  23. z5461313

z5461313 Member

Ratings:
    +57
    Yes this game is the next level of tennis playing and tennis is not easy

Wii Sports Tennis is for the casual gamer,

Grand Slam tennis has added another layer of skill on top which, if you want to practise, then is fun and challenging to get better and to start wooping your opponents
  24. Moogle

Moogle Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,448
    Exactly. Definitely missing the point. In any case the Wii is not just for casual gamers even if it is heavily marketed as such.

Besides writing off MotionPlus just from using it with one game is premature IMO.
  25. Miyazaki

Miyazaki Active Member

Ratings:
    +861
    I might have been poor in my use of English.

What I meant to say was that if the control method is so inaccurate, i.e. you need to keep resetting it for it to track you accurately then what is the point of having a control method that is supposed to be more accurate?

Either the game is inherently faulty or the wii motionplus is very poor.

The casual gamer doesn't want to keep resetting a controller every 5 seconds. It makes gaming less accessible. If the control method is recognised as being inconsistent then it shouldn't have been released in the poor state it is.

People who don't want the casual option don't play on the wii. :)

As for a first impression of wii motionplus I am not impressed having spent £35 for two of them.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  26. Jay

Jay New Member

Ratings:
    +2,111
    By all accounts it's the game that's meant to make bad use of the add on.

I expect wii sports resort to really show how it's done.
  27. Miyazaki

Miyazaki Active Member

Ratings:
    +861
    I'm hoping and praying mate.
  28. Jay

Jay New Member

Ratings:
    +2,111
    Yeah me too, I haven't got the motion plus add on yet as not many games use it yet.

I haven't heard much positive yet, but the hopeful side in me is thinking that it's down to the devs rather than the hardware.

As I said though Wii sports resort will show us the best of it, although the hardware might not be as good as some people are hoping or Nintendo made out.
  29. Haggler

Haggler Active Member

Ratings:
    +662
  30. dognuts

dognuts Member

Ratings:
    +23
    I agree, constantly resetting the controller is a work-around and thats not good enough really.

What I would say is that investing time in it does reap rewards, some of which you probably cant get from any other control method at the moment. It feels great winning an important point with a cross court backhand for example, but it frustrates in equal measure when it doesnt seem to do what you want it to and you miss the shot completely.

Ive found in the last few days that the face down for 2 seconds reset doesnt seem necessary at all, just pointing directly towards the screen between shots/points is enough.