Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good signal strength but 'no satellite signal received'

Discussion in 'Sky Forum' started by SGH42, Jan 24, 2009.

1. SGH42

SGH42 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Bought a new Pace box from Tesco's today because my old Thomson had been giving me 'No satellite signal is being received errors (25)' & I thought it was the box. Got the card paired with the Pace box this afternoon & all channels were working ok whilst I was on the phone to sky so I thought the new box had cured it, but now I'm getting the error messages again....arrghhh ! Signal test & quality show around 95% on both feeds, any ideas pease ? This is mainly affecting channels 101 to 105 but is pretty intermittent.

Thanks
    Steve
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  2. SGH42

SGH42 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    :lease:
  3. Andy4k6

Andy4k6 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    I would check the connections on the Dish, I have had problems in the past causing daft faults because the connection was a little dirty / rusty.

Worth a try anyway,

If thats not solved it i would consider changing the LNB and/or the Cable.

Hope thats a help

Andy
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. SGH42

SGH42 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Just had a go a that, I was able to tighten the lnb connections at the dish end by hand. Signal strength & quality are lower than before but it seems to be working at the moment (fingers crossed). Brrrrwwww i'ts cold out there this morning !

Steve
  5. Silver Serpent

Silver Serpent Active Member

Ratings:
    +451
    As Andy said, you may need an LNB change, or the dish you have could be rusted?

Could you watch the behaviour of the signal strength and quality by just leaving them on screen for awhile, to see if they lose lock quickly or their strength fluctuates constantly.
  6. SGH42

SGH42 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Dish isn't rusted (about 3 years old) & signal is now constant on both feeds strength 80%, quality 60% - no fluctuation.

Thanks
    Steve
  7. Silver Serpent

Ratings:
    +451
    Ok, but remember, it's the signal quality you want a high percentage on.

That's the important one.
  8. SGH42

SGH42 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Do you think I need a new LNB or would it be more to do with alignment ?

Thanks
    Steve
  9. Silver Serpent

Ratings:
    +451
    It's hard for anyone to tell without seeing it.

Your problem could be caused be several things.

If it continues to be a problem, might be best to call someone and get it looked at.
  10. kenedin

kenedin Active Member

Ratings:
    +316
    That's OK. Just as I have had for 2 years now. No probs to report.
  11. cooper_ski

cooper_ski Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Experiencing the same problem at my end. Temporary fix solution: unplug and plug the sky box from the mains.

I believe my problem is either the LNB or the cable----had same issue w/ my SKY + box prior to upgrading to the HD box. It's not the box.
  12. SCL411

SCL411 Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Hi,

I have a Samsung box that's a couple of months old and I'm getting a similar thing.

I've switched the box on (out of standby) to see the blue screen with the "No sat signal" error. Both inputs are on about 90 - 95% for strength and quality and a simple reboot (plug out of wall socket, wait a few mins and plug back in) clears it.

Each time it's happened, it has occured overnight while the box has been in standby. I'm wondering if some of the 'housekeeping' that goes on during the early hours has something to do with it.

If it happens much more, I'll call Sky but from the comments on here I don't hold out much hope :(
  13. MStrutt

MStrutt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have had the same problem for weeks and it finally ****** me right off so I got onto Sky tonight. Initially got through to their support desk who couldn't do anymore than I had already tried so they said I would have to pay for a service call.

At this stage I told them to poke their subscription (which I have had for 9 years) where it hurts and funnily enough they changed their attitude and are sending me an engineer in two days to fix or replace and a new warranty. All for free!! :thumbsup: