Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good headset for music/games

Discussion in 'Headphones & Portable Music' started by Silverfox, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Silverfox

Silverfox Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Hello my Creative Fatal1ty headset is on its way out so I need a replacement headset. I listen to alot of music and also use them for games when at my PC. I do have the Sony's XDR 700's which I think are great but they don't have a mic which I need.

I'm a bit mad on high levels of bass and think it really adds to the music as long as it doesn't kill the high-ends too much. Anyway the headset I'm looking at is the "Sennheiser PC360" and was wondering if anyone owns them and what they think of them. Or does someone else have a different headset they can recommend? I know its hard to get a good sounding headset with the mic attached but I use Skype alot so its a necessary.

2. Drubbing

Drubbing Member

Ratings:
    +158
    High bass levels will always affect clarity - it's acoustic physics.

Gaming headsets universally suck for music, and they don't perform any better for gaming than a good quality stereo headphone, no matter what all the marketing BS and 5.1 fakery say.

The PC360 is massively overpriced mic bling that doesn't sound that good. Get a good closed back headphone (which will provide decent bass without affecting SQ) like Shure 440/840 or AT M50 and a clip on mic. Mics are all pretty simple, the headphone sound is the important thing.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  3. Silverfox

Silverfox Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the reply. When I was younger we had 12" sub with some 6X9 speakers in our car and the bass levels were amazing but the sound didn't sound muddy like you'd get when you set something to a bass setting. I doubt headphones can match this but I would like to get as close as possible.

I've been looking at the DR Dre beats before as I've heard these are the best headphones you can get for large amounts of controlled bass without ruining the overall sound completely. I did try the £350 ones in a HMV store but there was a volume limiter on them so I couldn't turn them up to see how good they really were.

I used to have some Ultimate Ear 220vi in-ear headphones and they had nice bass levels. It seems in-ears can produce alot higher levels of bass than a headset to me.
  4. Drubbing

Drubbing Member

Ratings:
    +158
    They're not. And just because something can go very loud without distorting doesn't mean it's any good. If you judge SQ by bass, and lack of distortion up loud, you're missing the point of what good SQ is. It's very easy (and cheap) to make bassy phones. I understand why people come to equate bass with SQ, but people who want to enjoy all the music will prefer phones that deliver it. Too much bass can't do that.

Beats bass levels are completely out of kilter with the rest of the sound. They're a sub 100GBP sounding product being flogged at an unrealistic premium off the back of Dre's signature and must-have street bling.

If it's a bassy phone you're after look at Ultrasones, or the Audio Technica Pro700 or WS70.

Practically anything on the market is better value than Beats.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  5. Silverfox

Silverfox Member

Ratings:
    +5

I might buy myself a new sound card with a headphone amp built in (ASUS Xonar, £20) and get a mic and use my Sony MDRXB700's. The Audio Technica Pro700's have really good reviews from people about the bass however they do cost £140 and have no mic attached so I'm in the same boat as before (Headset without mic).

The issue with a desk mic is it picks on the sound of me typing and stuff as it needs to be more sensitive because it's not right by your mouth and this would annoy other people in my chat. It's a shame there are no shops around here that would allow me to listen to the headphones as I feel if I heard them I'd be more inclined to spend £100+ on them.
  6. Drubbing

Drubbing Member

Ratings:
    +158
    You can get clip on mic that will fit anything. As soon as you look at a product that's built in, you're into headset territory, and as advised, they're bad sounding, not well made and crap value.

100 quid is where headphones start to get good, and is where you'll need to get familiar with lesser known brands, that are big names in the audio game. It's worth finding a store with decent demos. Even Sennheiser make a good deal lot of crap even over 100 quid though (IMHO). Solid brands are Beyer, Shure, Audio Technica, Koss, AKG.
  7. Silverfox

Silverfox Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Right I'm going to buy a cheap £3 mic and give it a shot with my Sony's. If no one complains about the sound (Reviews are good for the mic) then I'll upgrade to better headphones. Still annoying no company has just stuck a mic on their headphones and sold it as a high quality gaming headset :/
  8. rhodri

rhodri Member

Ratings:
    +1
    sorry to hijack the thread, but Im thinking about getting the mdr-xb700's because the 500's are out of stock for a while. Can you tell me what you think of these headphones, or whether its worth waiting for the 500's.

thanks
  9. Silverfox

Silverfox Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I really like them but I find they are alot better when using a headphone amp, nice bass levels. However it's hard for me to say as I have not tried the 500's so I don't know how much of an upgrade the 700's are. I know the 700's have 50mm speakers were as the 500's have 40mm so there should be a considerable difference. How much? I have no idea sorry.
  10. Drubbing

Drubbing Member

Ratings:
    +158
    Amps do not add bass to headphones, especially when they don't need an amp to begin with. Unless you're using a cheap amp/bass booster, you're probably experiencing more volume.

Driver size has no influence whatsoever on headphone sound quality. A good 40mm driver will be better than a bad 50mm one.
  11. Silverfox

Silverfox Member

Ratings:
    +5
    The amp I have is cheap but does have a "Bass Boaster" on it and I can tell the difference.

True I guess, but with both headsets being from the same series and one costing more than the other I would assume the 700s should be better than the 500's especially in the bass department?
  12. Drubbing

Drubbing Member

Ratings:
    +158
    Boosting bass doesn't make SQ better, it gives you more bass, so there's less of the other freqs that can be heard, many would say that reduces SQ.

More bass doesn't make for better headphones. If that were the cases then audiophiles who spend $1k on a pair would be strapping sub woofas to their head. The better headphones get, the less they bias bass and aim instead for balance and clarity, with a tight and fast bass that doesn't smother the rest of the range.
  13. Silverfox

Silverfox Member

Ratings:
    +5
    IMO I prefer large amounts of bass as long as it doesn't make the music sound "muddy". This is another reason why I find it hard to justify dropping large amounts of money into a headset. I want more bass. With a good hifi they sometimes have a sub so you can turn up the bass.
  14. Drubbing

Drubbing Member

Ratings:
    +158
    I get that's what you like, but unless you've heard and compared higher end stuff, you can't appreciate what muddy actually is. At its worst it's a bloated distortion, which anyone can hear and know is bad. At best, it's overpriced headphones like Beats, that have nothing but bass, but can crank to ridiculous sound levels without distorting. It's still muddy, woolly and slow though, encroaching on all the other available sound.

You can't have large amounts bass without it being muddy. It's impossible to get clear, tight bass when you have slabs of it, whether it's a hifi + sub or headphones.
  15. pooley

pooley Member

Ratings:
    +32
  16. Silverfox

Silverfox Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Some headphones do handle large amounts of bass better than others and I just want the ones that handle it best. I'm no audiophile but I like the double bass drums in metal to sound powerful and thump at your ears, the same with explosions in games. If it doesn't have that I feel like I'm missing it. It makes the experience better to me. Might be just me that feels this way though :rolleyes:
  17. pooley

pooley Member

Ratings:
    +32
    No you not alone, I like DnB and play BF3 so I know where you are coming from but as Drubbing points out there is a trade off when it comes to bass and sound quality.

My setup consists of a Xonar STX With some Beyerdymanic DT 880's and I use a Speedlink clip on mic when gaming.

The 880's are considered a neutral HP, but the 990's are more bass centric so I would suggest having a look at those.
  18. rhodri

rhodri Member

Ratings:
    +1
    thanks. ive just gone and found a pair of xb-500's from ebay. out of stock everywhere but the guy selling them lives 10 mins away from me!

have read the other posts regarding bass so hoping that this 40mm driver does sound good.

have also got an adaptor to attach the headphones to my amp where I have ps3, sky hd and PC connected to, so will be interested on sound quality. Be nice if there was a way to get 'surround sound' out of them

cheers
  19. HiFi Headphones

HiFi Headphones Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +83
    Another option if you want an integrated headphone and headset is the GermanMaestro GMH C 8.100 D. It's very similar to the GMP 8.35 D, but with a very nice cardioid microphone.

The GMP 8.35 D are nearly indestructible and sound excellent. Bass is chunky, but with excellent clarity.