Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gigaair 2727 Video Sender

Discussion in 'Sky Forum' started by Gooner71, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Gooner71

Gooner71 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Gigaair 2727 today (£40) to feed a standard sky ditigal signal from a bedroom to the dining room directly beneath. The picture wasn't fuzzy but had bad interference (horizontal distortion and a regular cracking sound). No amount of fiddling with the antenna improved it.

I've heard these devices can conflict with wireless networks so I switched off my router which didn't make much difference.

So I took it back to Comet.

Has anyone much experience of these? I work near a Maplin so thought I'd try picking up a Digisender but don't want to spend a fortune.

If the Gigaair didn't work, are there others on the market which give out a stronger signal? or is it not worth it?

Thanks
    Simon
  2. Jonnywishbone

Jonnywishbone Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Just bought the same device from maplins. Mine didn't work whatsoever so am going to send it back. This is the second such device I have tried and have come to the conclusion that you can't have it all! (homehub,dect phones etc)

Back to the drawing board, unless someone releases these devices on a different frequency to wifi then wired is the only way forward in my opinion. That's if the wife allows me to start drilling holes that is!

:mad:
  3. SamRadford

SamRadford Active Member

Ratings:
    +366
    They are available with a (much) higher frequency.
  4. lukeyluke

lukeyluke Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello.
    I've just bought a GigaAir 2727, and I can get clear sound in the bedroom but no picture.

Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong???

If I can't find a solution I think I'll have to take it back and buy another model...

Rgrds

Luke
  5. ijmunro69

ijmunro69 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    SamRadford, can you suggest a unit with a (much) higher frequency. I live next to a hotel which is a wireless nightmare for me and so doesn't work. All help appreciated.
  6. marc-h

marc-h Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a Thomson AV sender from Comet for £30. It has a number of different channels to try and avoid clashing with any other equipment using the same frequency. One of the channels seems to work fine and it is sat next to a Wifi device and we have 4 DECT phones.
  7. JayCee

JayCee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,574
    Scart plug at either end not plugged in fully?
  8. billytkid

billytkid Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Hiya,

sadly all of these senders work in the 2.4Ghz bandwidth, the same as ALL wireless networking gear, and quite a few phones, oh and also microwaves (they creep into this range).

I've just tried two different types of sender and both such, i do live in the middle of london with lots of wireless noise, which is probably the main problem - also 2.4Ghz doesnt 'do' corners, it either passes straight through or bounces, thats why wireless tends to be bad in old houses.

You can get 5.8Ghz (i think) devices from the states, they will probably be brilliant...BUT they are illegal in the UK because that licence is not for public usage.

:(
  9. debstar2005

debstar2005 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just wanted to say that i brought a Gigaair about 2 years ago and I have not had much problems with it. Yes when you use the micrwave or the xbow you get interference but apart from that its fine. If you hear any fuzzy noise coming from the telly that you transmitting to you need to adjust the other box and play around with it a bit like you would a normal arieal. When it set DON'T TOUCH IT even a slight movement can knock it out of whack. It works well Sky TV in my bedroom and the actually box is in the living room so it does what it says on the box it has saved me loads of money cos i have not had to invest in a multi room thing from Sky.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2009