Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Audio from laptop into amp

Discussion in 'Windows' started by andi1977dog, May 28, 2008.

1. andi1977dog

andi1977dog Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Im trying to get the audio from my laptop to run out of my amp, cant figure out how to do it so need some more hlp from the forum experts !!

its a dell, running xp, its in a docking station running a dvi to hdmi cable into my amp but the sound still comes out of the laptop and not from the amp.
    ive selected the 5.1 audio setting in the sound setup but cannot get it to go to the amp.
    any ideas ?? thanks again everyone
  2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,300
    DVI won't normally carry audio, does the docking station have any analogue jacks or optical audio connection you could use?
  3. andi1977dog

andi1977dog Member

Ratings:
    +1
    hi, oh i thought dvi did carry audio, bit of an oversight on my part by the looks of it. the docking station has a headphone socket, something called a SPDIF socket and a round socket with a tiny tv symbol and an arrow going out of it. excuse the poor desciptions but im new to this !! thanks
  4. nburg01

nburg01 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Run a cable from the SPDIF OUT on the laptop to the SPDIF IN on the amp.

If your amp hasn't got a SPDIF socket then you'll have to use the laptop's headphone socket for the sound. Run a cable that has a 3.5mm jack one end (to plug into the laptop headphone socket) and 2 phono plugs the other end, to plug into the amp's Phono In.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. MickMack

MickMack Member

Ratings:
    +1
    SPDIF is the Sony Phillips Digital InterFace or something like that, it's a digital output so make sure you're connecting it to a digital input. I think if you're putting it into an amp using the normal red and white connectors you would be better using an analogue output.

Mick.
  6. MickMack

MickMack Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Oops didn't see nburg's answer, he covered what I said, sorry to repeat.