1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

George White has gone into administration

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by MarkyPancake, Jan 19, 2012.

1. MarkyPancake

MarkyPancake Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,505
    George White goes into administration - | Motorcycle News | Bike News | Motorbike Videos | MCN

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-industry/george-white-goes-into-administration/19890.html

Sad news. :(

I feel sorry for the staff and wish them all the best. I've had all my bikes from there and they've always taken care of me.

I'm surprised by the news after they appeared to be doing so well over recent years, what with acquiring the other dealership (GT Motorcycles) and the BSB sponsorship. I know bike sales are slumping, even the manufacturers admit things are not looking good, but I thought GW could weather the storm.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  2. Stinja

Stinja Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,343
    The nearest one to me is over by Liverpool Street station, and it always seems that little bit overpriced, never had the latest items, and felt a bit Primark TBH...

Sad for the staff, but might have to see if they've got a closing down sale.
  3. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,171
    Sign of the times.
    Bikes are simply too dear (over £8k for a 600....I ask you....:eek:)
    And I also feel the bike industry is miles behind the car industry in financing options.
    They just haven't caught onto PCP/PCH like car dealers have.
    If you're not selling bikes the normal way, investigate alternatives to get them shifted.
    If you make the bike affordable, you get servicing + spares + accessories.
  4. blicky_1

blicky_1 Member

Ratings:
    +151
    Such a shame, purchased a few from them in the past and a great place to go in the summer months as a stop off (and for the Superbites wagon!) also will miss the big weekend that is usually around April. As others have said its a sign of the times with pricing and also the the test changes has not helped :thumbsdow
  5. MarkyPancake

Ratings:
    +1,505
    I wonder if they could have survived the economic downturn it they hadn't bought out GT Motorcycles or sponsored BSB. I doubt you would take those opportunities if you couldn't afford it and it didn't make business sense at the time though.

Manufacturers are saying sales are down, yet Yamaha are charging around £14,000 for a new R1 when people don't have the disposable income to spend on expensive toys (I love my sports bikes, but let's be honest, we don't buy them because they are practical do we). They were expensive enough at £9,800 pre the 2009 model.
  6. FZR400RRSP

Ratings:
    +4,171
    Out with a mate of mine on Saturday, he works for the largest bike dealer in the area.
    He says the days of people changing bikes regularly seem to be over.
    When we were younger, wasn't unusual to change a bike within weeks/months of buying it.
    People are holding onto their bikes now, because they are all they'll ever need.
    It's the law of diminishing returns.
    Bikes are so good now that the latest model can't add anything to your enjoyment.
    This is why I've stopped buying bike mags.
    I got so bored of them saying this year's ZX10/GSXR/R1 is the "best ever"
    Yeah?
    That's what you said last year.:boring:

I've started buying 'Practical Sportsbikes' now, which concentrates on 80s/90s machines.
    Much more entertaining than the latest hot-poop bike.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  7. MarkyPancake

Ratings:
    +1,505
    Whilst I'm not in the position of some customers who are waiting for bike deliveries, etc, I am now left without anybody local who can service my RSV4 and who has Aprilia's Navigator, for diagnostic work and map changes, while it's still in warranty.
  8. Chester

Chester Member

Ratings:
    +149
    Got my new Kwaka last year, and I ain't looking to change it. It's the Z1000SX, and it nearly never happened because there is such a big selection of practically brand new bikes with next to no miles on them with a fair chunk of depreciation done. But at the time second hand prices were rising, so comparably new prices during Q2 last year made sense. I got almost what I paid for on my previous bike having owned it 5 years and putting 8k miles on it. Amazing!

But I have to agree, hypersports are now silly money considering the amount they get used in general, and unless you're pretty much an athlete, can't be used as an everyday bike in the summer. With my back and leg problems, money doesn't come into it! Manufacturers are catching up with these new breed of sports tourers and 'adventure' bikes that seem to be selling in droves. All too late maybe?

Sorry to hear about the guys and gals at GW though. My head's been in the paperwork of late, so this has come as a shock. I guess the only other question is who's next? I don't think this is the last closure we'll hear of this year somehow.
  9. Stinja

Stinja Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,343
    I dont think the sales numbers are "droves", but they are stable to minor +/- compared to super-sports/cruisers etc which are diving.

Despite the controversy, i cant help but wonder if the future is in "motorcycles" like the Aprilia Mana and Honda NC700 :confused:
    I was up at Bert's Tea hut on the weekend, and it's funny seeing the incremental changes from Indians thru to more modern bikes, and how little the manufacturers have really changed / how resistant to new ideas they and bikers are.
  10. redaprilia

redaprilia Member

Ratings:
    +88
    Hope you don't mind if I divert this a little ?
    I have ridden a "Adventure bike" ( Aprilia Caponord ) for the last 10 years , been all over Europe on it etc and its been bomb proof and a lot of fun . Now I want to get a extra bike . Looking at - in no particular order but could I have your thoughts on :

Gsx-r1000 - banzai ! but need a lot of servicing every 3.5 k miles
    Fireblade ?
    Honda VFR 1200 - worried about fuel consumption
    Bmw K1300s - worried about un reliability ?
    any other suggestion pls

Looking at buying new and probably keep it forever
  11. Chester

Chester Member

Ratings:
    +149
    That's 2 very different types of bikes there. Personally I'd add the Kawasaki Z1000SX into the mix, but then I'm biased! If you're still serious about touring and don't mind shelling out for the most expensive bike, go for the Beemer. The options list is almost like a car's on that thing, never mind the accessories! I was very tempted myself but for only 3K miles a year I couldn't justify the money.
  12. redaprilia

redaprilia Member

Ratings:
    +88
    Yes I appreciate that the first 2 are very different to the last 2 but I probably would not tour on any of them . Loved the concept of the z1000sx but my huge feet were resting on the exhaust if i rode with the front of my feet on the pegs !

The BMW is now in 3 versions
    Standard
    Sport , that has everything added
    HP as above but with carbon everything and blue paint !

BMW seems the most sensible but if you read the forums there are "issues" with very expensive repairs in later life or high miles . Obviously I don't know how true they are though . That's where the simple and proven gixer comes in !
  13. FZR400RRSP

Ratings:
    +4,171
    You could always be one of those riders who rides with the peg tucked up into their instep, so it's right up against their heel.
    And their feet are pointing down like Spaniels' ears.:rotfl:
    Only joking, they're plums and you are correct to ride with the balls of your feet on the pegs.:smashin:
    Personally, I'd go for the GSXR out of those three.
    The other two don't interest me in the slightest.
    And as plenty of people have proven, a sports bike like the GSXR can tour no problem at all.
  14. redaprilia

redaprilia Member

Ratings:
    +88
    Yes the gixer puts up a very good case & its proven reliable . 3 % apr finance either on pcp or HP . But I may just buy it outright as even the new 2012 single exhaust model is very good value . Decisions decisions LOL . Going to London bike show on Sunday -- that should help me decide .
  15. Chester

Chester Member

Ratings:
    +149
    No better place to go and have a sit on them.

Personally I don't like sitting on my wrists for any length of time, but then if you never plan to go touring on it, that's not a problem. Saying that, if your feet are that big, I'd assume you'd be quite tall, in which case don't shy away from a Triumph. They're built for men! Really miss my Daytona 955i sometimes.
  16. FZR400RRSP

Ratings:
    +4,171
    Older Triumphs like the 955i were big old beasts of things.
    But to compete with the Japanese, they've had to get away from this.
    The 675 (Daytona and Street Triple) models are tiny.
    My mate's Sprint 1050 is no bigger than any other Jap touring bike either.
    I just wish it looked a bit better.
    Fitting USD forks would be a start, RWU forks don't half look old-fashioned these days.
  17. Chester

Chester Member

Ratings:
    +149
    Yeah, love the new Daytona 675R, but it would kill me! Can't wait to see what Triumph decide to build around their new 1200.
  18. Exemplar

Exemplar Active Member

Ratings:
    +509
    Shame that any business goes to the wall. Oh and what is a Ducati carbon? My boss keeps going on about buying one....
  19. alexs2

alexs2 Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,709
  20. FZR400RRSP

Ratings:
    +4,171
    It'll be this.
    Not my idea of a bike, but each to their own.

Ducati Diavel Carbon - Ducati
  21. alexs2

alexs2 Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,709
    That's not such a good look.

Mine was definitely better if a little pricier.
  22. FZR400RRSP

Ratings:
    +4,171
    Definitely.
    I'm afraid I'm a bit of a CF junky.:blush:
    If it's done properly, of course.
    Not 'stick on' accessories.:thumbsdow
  23. alexs2

alexs2 Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,709
    I think there may be a few of last years carbon framed Dukes going cheap.
  24. MarkyPancake

Ratings:
    +1,505
    I picked up on this conversation on Twitter yesterday:

I might go and have a look at the Swindon site this weekend and see what's happening.
  25. chrisowe

chrisowe Member

Ratings:
    +16
    I do hope they find a buyer. I've enjoyed the open days there in April the last couple of years.
  26. MarkyPancake

Ratings:
    +1,505
  27. blicky_1

blicky_1 Member

Ratings:
    +151
    Yea me and my family too :thumbsdow