Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genuine XP product key, but no disc...

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by PenguinWithHair, Nov 27, 2010.

1. PenguinWithHair

PenguinWithHair Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hello you wonderfull clever av computer folk, I was hoping I could ask you something...

I'm looking to format/reinstall Windows XP on my sister's prebuild Acer computer right, here's the thing... I have no Windows XP disc specific to that computer. Will any old Windows XP disc be compatible with the geniune (pre installed) product key, or will I need some sort of dodgey 'Windows for Acer' disc?

I ask this, becuase the only disc I have at hand is a 'Windows for Dell' XP sp2 disc from another computer. Will that disc work? If not will a generic XP disc work with an OEM Acer XP product key?

Many thanks in advance.
  2. Stiggy

Stiggy Active Member

Ratings:
    +669
    Are you sure the Acer doesn't have some kind of recovery partition?

You can try the Dell CD, but I think the chances are slim that the key will work.

I always wonder where all these OEM disks disappear to!
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  3. PenguinWithHair

PenguinWithHair Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hey, thanks for the reply. Believe it or not the computer wasn't sold with a Widnows disc :( I didn't think Microsoft liked that...

But anyway, yea there is a recovery disc but to be honest I'd much rather a proper format with a fresh install. Get rid of that daft partition (I don't care if there's logic to it, it annoys me) and annoying Acer utilities.

The reason I want to format and reinstall XP by the way is the computer is really slowing down now, I want to get rid of the partition on it and I think it may have a virus on it which is being stuborn to remove.
  4. ncmoody

ncmoody Member

Ratings:
    +129
    You probably need an OEM disk rather than a genuine Microsoft one.
    And you may have problems re-validating as they key you have will have been through validation.
    It may be as simple as calling the MS help line, providing you have not altered the hardware too much
  5. Stiggy

Stiggy Active Member

Ratings:
    +669
    If you use the recovery disk, you can remove the Acer utilities afterwards. It's a lot quicker and easier than trying to install XP with a disk you don't have!
  6. Matt_C

Matt_C Active Member

Ratings:
    +771
    I've installed a Dell OEM disc on loads of different computers other than Dell ones and not had a problem (using the license key on the sticker on the computer I'm installing onto, not the Dell key) For example, my Compaq pc I was using as a media PC - that has a sticker on it for XP Pro, so I used my Dell XP Pro (OEM) cd and that installed fine and accepted the Compaq key...
  7. PowerLee

PowerLee Member

Ratings:
    +24
    I've used a Dell OEM Window's XP Home disc to install XP on my gf's computer after hard drive failed as it only originally came with a recovery disc ( not much good when the hard drives dead :rolleyes: ) I used the product key already stuck on the tower & it validated fine.
  8. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,086
    I agree with Stiggy on this. If you do a clean install from a standard XP disc there is a very good chance you are going to need to go searching for drivers, and if the LAN needs a driver you wont be able to get online to find drivers :rolleyes:
    A full system restore from the recovery partition will get rid of everything that has been installed since the PC was bought - you go back to how it was shipped from the factory. If the PC does have a virus then the recovery will get rid of it.
    To uninstall all the rubbish that you get with a new PC you can use a tool such as This or just manually uninstall them. To remove the separate partition (I hate these as well as you end up running out of space on the C: drive) you can use a free tool such as This.

If you do want to use the Dell XP disc to do a clean install then you need to make sure it is exactly the same version as the license key you have on the PC - ie Win XP Home OEM as you can't use a retail disc with an OEM license, or an XP Pro disc with an XP Home key.

Mark.
  9. the_beast

the_beast Member

Ratings:
    +26
    I'd go with a standard disk if you can - getting rid of the crap can be a real nightmare with AOL and the like refusing to lie down and die.

You code should work, although you will probably need to call to activate - I just did this recently on my Toshiba laptop rather than use the install disk.
  10. PenguinWithHair

PenguinWithHair Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hey everyone, thanks for all your input :) I'll double check exactly what version of XP the computer has and get back to you.

Thanks again.
  11. ncmoody

ncmoody Member

Ratings:
    +129
    Have you resolved your problem ?
  12. PenguinWithHair

PenguinWithHair Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Heey, only just looked on here. I just looked on the side of the pc case and I didn't realise it's actually XP home edition, so that won't work with the oem dell XP pro disc I have in anycase :) I'm pretty sure it's an OEM version of XP home on the pc though just to mention.

I think I'll give in and give the recovery disc a go for now and see what improvement it makes.

Many thanks all the same.
  13. ncmoody

ncmoody Member

Ratings:
    +129
    Keep in touch and let us know if you still have problems.