1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Nutrition/Bodybuilding and Fitness discussion

Discussion in 'Sport' started by Macca10, Jun 6, 2010.

1. JonnyConcrete

JonnyConcrete Member

Ratings:
    +191
    Where did you get tested Stu? I've never had it done, would be much more accurate to get bf% tested rather than using scales.
  2. BigStu1972

BigStu1972 Active Member

Ratings:
    +291
    We have a gym at work and subsequently we have two personal trainers and they do the test which also includes VO2 testing, Blood pressure, resting and working heart rate etc.
    I did have some scales which did a body fat test and it was fairly accurate although I could literally get off and on and it would give me two slightly different results in a 2 minute period.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. StevePSIV

StevePSIV Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,093
    Just starting to get into sport training/nutrition again because I'm trying out for a football team so thought I would blog my progress on here (check sig for details).

Legs are begining to tighten up after last nights session but I'm going for a swim tonight so hoping that will ease them before tomorrows session!
  4. DrPhil

DrPhil Active Member

Ratings:
    +4,143
    I'm now 16 stone 4! :clap:

(Started at Christmas weighing 18 stone 6...)
  5. JonnyConcrete

JonnyConcrete Member

Ratings:
    +191
    Good on ya Phil!

I'm doing well also. Took a few weeks to get back on a strict diet but finding it easy to resist the junk now.

Was 11st 10lb this morning (14st 7lb at xmas)

Doing about 4hrs 40mins weights per week and about 8 hours cv. Really got the training bug now and enjoying it immensely. Its easy to put the effort in though because I'm going on holiday in 6 weeks so its a good motivator.
  6. NooBish AbbZ 92

NooBish AbbZ 92 Active Member

Ratings:
    +417
    Oooh. Looks like i know what I'm doing at some point tomorrow :D

I'll post what time i get. Should be able to do it, but we'll find out, won't we :p
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2010
  7. StevePSIV

StevePSIV Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,093
    Nice one mate, you can't be looking to lose much more weight though surely. Not sure what height you are but your weight now seems about ideal.

Well done to you aswell Phil. Been reading through your MMA blogs (which is kind of the reason I started my football pre season blog yesterday).

Might give that army test a go this weekend and I'll post my time once I've done it. Use to run 10km sub 40 mins a year or two ago when I ran a lot of different events.
  8. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani Member

Ratings:
    +101
    hi, great advice, btw. i have a question regarding this bmr. is this the amount of calories you would need to keep your metabolism going if you stayed still for 24hrs or does it take into account daily activity outside of exercise? getting out of bed, brushing teeth, pointing at a dog with a funny look on it's face, making dinner... etc... etc.

thanks
  9. Geege

Geege Active Member

Ratings:
    +385
    I was 83kg only 2 weeks ago (home made curries with ghee has done that :rolleyes:) I've just done the Special K kickstart plan and now I weight 79kg. That's just over half a stone in only 2 weeks. Worth giving it a go.:smashin:

45g Special K serving in morning
    Main meal
    45g Special K serving in evening
    and you are allowed 2 x 100cal snacks in the day too.

Do this for only 2 weeks then go onto another diet plan (weight watchers or whatever)
  10. jabintendo

jabintendo Member

Ratings:
    +233
    I have been a bit naughty and haven't gone to the gym in 3 weeks. Really need to get back into the swing of things.

I just want to say do get too worked up over how much weight you lose. Because in some weeks you won't lose any weight even though you have been to gym and it can become disheartening. In a few weeks you will see real life changes such as going down a belt size and your clothes feeling looser.
  11. JonnyConcrete

JonnyConcrete Member

Ratings:
    +191
    This is so true.

For the last 5 weeks I have been doing 80mins weights immediately followed by 60mins cardio plus warmups, cool downs 5 days a week and usually do a quick hour cardio on Saturday as well and stuck too my strict diet about 99% of the time.

I have lost NOTHING. I hit 11st 9 lbs once but since then fluctuated between 11st11 and 12st2 and I must admit it has been very disheartening.

I went cloths shopping at the weekend and was well chuffed when I tried on a pair of 32inch waist jeans and they were too big :D. Ended up buying 30inch waist (although they were called "relaxed fit) I'd say I'm in 32's. For the last few years I've been in 38inch jeans so ya know what **** the scales I gotta just keep going no matter what they say.
  12. Andy

Andy Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,645
    My weight has always fluctuated, never really sure of how much I weigh at any given time, apart from when I caught some god awful bug a couple of years ago and ended up being around 11 stone :suicide:

Anyways, been unhappy with my weight for awhile so I've recently started walking at lunch times along with monitoring my intake.

Usually at lunch I do about 4 miles as I walk to the nearest village and back to work, I've since decided it's not really enough so I am going to local gym this weekend to see about joining.

I'd imagine that the person I see will point me in the right direction, it may sound like a silly question but is there anything that I need to know beforehand ?

Thanks
  13. jabintendo

jabintendo Member

Ratings:
    +233
    I think the reason why you are not loosing weight is that you are gaining weight from your muscle (this is good).
    Plus you will also burn more calories the more muscle you have while resting aparently.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. JonnyConcrete

JonnyConcrete Member

Ratings:
    +191
    Hahaaa your bloody right and you've just made my day.

I measured my arms after the first few weeks of my cut and lost 2 8ths so I haven't measured them for a while because its depressing when you're losing muscle.

Just measured again and I've put 4 8ths back on my arms, an inch and half on my chest and lost half inch on my waist.

Just what I needed to give me a boost.

I'll measure my arms again tomorrow because I've just done triceps so they are pretty pumped but still looks like Ive banged a bit of muscle on in the last 5 weeks I've been blitzing the gym.
  15. danz1985

danz1985 Active Member

Ratings:
    +219
    Hello all,

After some discussions in some member specific threads, myself and a couple of users thought it would be a good idea to have a general thread.
    I'm hoping here we can all share tips, routines and information on all things to make us fitter. Then in the end we all can hopefully reach the goals we have, or may set for ourselves.

This is an invite to all users who want advice/opinions to post up anything they are unsure of. Also to those who have a great knowledge to share their experiences to help others. :)
    I like to think of the AVForums as a close knit group and would much rather share my experiences here as they happen than anywhere else.

I'll now get the thread going and post some info on myself and goals.

I'm 25 years old and I'm currently classed as overweight. I'm 5'9'' and weigh 13 and a half stone. I've recently lost 2 stone due to a diet change and light cardio exercise.
    3 weeks ago I decided to get serious with my fitness as too many members of my family have passed away, alot I feel being due to bad lifestyles (my dad included).
    My main long term goals are to be healthier, stronger and to be around as long as possible for my 2 girls giving them the best life I can.
    Short term goals are to get into shape for our first cruise holiday in less than 4 months.

I am now starting a programme by a user called all pro on another forum so all credit to him for this.

I'll be working out 3 days a week to start with. Day 1 will be my heavy work out. Day 2 being medium using 10% less weights than Day 1. Day 3 being light workout with 20% less weights than day 1. This gives me time to recover and is classed as having a build in deload. Remember this is a beginners course.

There are 7 exercises with 4 sets each in a workout. 1st set is a warm up using a quarter of the weights I will use per exercise. 2nd set also being a warm up using half of the weights. Sets 3 and 4 will use full amount.

Example- Overhead Barbell press.
    Set 1 - 10kg
    Set 2 - 20kg
    Set 3 - 40kg
    Set 4 - 40kg

Exercises are-
    Squat, Bench Press, Bent-Over Rows, Over-Head Barbell Presses, Deadlifts, barbell curls and calf raises.

Cylce runs for 5 weeks and I won't be increasing the weight until the start of cycle 2, only increase will be in number of reps.
    1st week will be all 7 exercises, 4 sets each with 8 reps. Each week you increase a rep on each set. Week 2 will be 4 sets or 9 reps. Week 5 I will be hitting 12 reps.

I have also starting a whey protein shake to help with my recovery and muscle building which is widely regarded as the best suppliment you can get. I also have cod liver oil tablets too. But please research and take care with anything nutrition wise in a diet.

Again I really hope I haven't bored you all and would love someone to post advice or your own goals and experiences.

Thanks for reading and any questions or tips to make this original post easier to read or understand please let me know as writing isn't my strong point.

Dan :thumbsup:
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  16. StevePSIV

StevePSIV Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,093
    Nice routine you've got there Dan.

Said this a few times but for me my long term overall goal is just to be fitter and stronger and feel more comfortable in my own skin. I am getting married next year and want to look/feel my best for that day!

Short term goals are:
    Better cardio fitness - achieved
    3.2km in 12 minutes
    5km in under 20 minutes
    Increase in muscle/strength by the summer

Longer term goals:
    Raise money for Struge Weber by completing different events such as the Bupa 10km and Run to the Beat 1/2 marathon. Also looking to compete in a triathlon at some point either this year or next.

Current routine is:

Monday - 12min Run & Core
    Tuesday - Chest & Triceps
    Thursday - Shoulders, Back & 5km+ run
    Friday - Chest, Biceps & Swim
    Saturday - Rest or Swim
    Sunday - 10km run & Legs

Planning to switch the cardio soon to HIIT just to mix things up a bit.

Been training hard since just after christmas and still really enjoying it!! (& haven't missed a day yet!!)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  17. danz1985

danz1985 Active Member

Ratings:
    +219
    Congratulations and great goals. Love the charity run and would love to do that myself one day. A goal I may add in the future, thank you.

I have just changed my routine and tonight is the first night of that. I have a spreadsheet that does all the calculations of my routine if anyone was interested, again credit goes to a member helping all pro with that.

I'm still undecided on cardio myself, I think I'll leave it out for now and see how my weight goes. If too much of an increase I'll add cardio on my days off.

Suppliments added in original post...
  18. mr:w

mr:w Member

Ratings:
    +132
    Well done on what you've achieved so far, and good luck for the weeks / months ahead!

There are loads of different techniques which give different results, depends what your overall plan is. The one main thing I've always stuck to when weight training to is working opposing body parts over your week's exercise. When I used to train, I did day 1 as chest & triceps, day 2 as back & biceps, day 3 as legs & abs, day 4 as shoulders and arms (2 sets only for triceps & biceps, lighter weights than days 1 & 2).

I usually did 4 or 5 sets per body part, 8-10 reps per set. Again, lighter weights & higher sets / reps or heavier weights & lower sets / reps give different results, depends whether you want to tone or gain mass.

I think the most important thing in the early stages is to concentrate on form - you see guys in gyms grunting and puffing and throwing around the biggest weights they can lift but with such poor technique they'll be getting next to no benefit. Spend time on getting your technique nailed in the early stages and you'll notice changes much quicker.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  19. danz1985

danz1985 Active Member

Ratings:
    +219
    Great advice thank you. Form is vital and on some of the exercises I have done it has been so hard getting good form.

Before this routine I'm trying tonight (which does seem alot for a night) I was on Starting Strength which was great. It's primary focus was core groups and my strength went up quickly as I would be increasing weight from workout to workout. However my short term goal is to look better as well as be stronger. This new routine is more about endurance and mass I believe. I can then go to an advanced routing doing less reps but more weight. I'll probably do this after the 4th cycle and do 5 - 8 reps rather than 8 - 12.

Also when I become more experienced was to do 2 heavy days and 1 medium on the routine I'm doing. That's for anyone who does want to try it :smashin:

I'll update with how my first night went and how I feel tomorrow.:thumbsup:
  20. jabintendo

jabintendo Member

Ratings:
    +233
    I would also just like to add that don't go on any mad diet. While you may lose weight in the short term, you will put the weight back on very fast after you stop the diet.
    I am sorry to say, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to lose weight. To make sure that you keep the weight off, you need to eat healthy and do some exercise. It may not be as quick as a diet, but you will be better for it in the long run.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. danz1985

danz1985 Active Member

Ratings:
    +219
    Yeah I agree, my diet has been better for a few months. I have a love for cooking now where 6 months a go it was an Aunt Bessies Toad in the hole etc. Now me and my partner just have home cooked meals. I feel so much better for it and lost 2 stone mainly because of this along with cardio.

I'm glad a mod merged my thread with this one. That BMR calculating post above is great and I wouldn't of seen it otherwise.

Weight lifting wise, my lifts are pretty poor. I have worked in an office for last 4 years and done nothing outside of work. I know I'll improve across the board but I'm worried about the squats. I only have a bench and the bar is too low for me to get under it. Is there any cheap equipment that is easy to store away just for squats and calf presses?
  22. benhaha85

benhaha85 Active Member

Ratings:
    +431
    I do dumbbell squats. Ok you can't lift as much as with a barbell but they still hurt!! Or you could try hack squats.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  23. Coffin

Coffin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,796
    Dumbbell squats and dumbbell lunges are a great way to begin your leg work outs. You could also try 'skateboard' squats'

Home Bodybuilding Leg Workouts :thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  24. eireann10

eireann10 Member

Ratings:
    +207
    really good reading on this thread and some good ideas / routines.

ive been pretty active / Fit playing hurling for 25ish years, training 4 - 5 times a week. i finally quit at the end of last year mainly due to have racked up to many injuries.

What i want to aim on now is building my strength up, mainly upper body / core strength, Danz seems a very good routine, anyone any more good tips or advice.
  25. danz1985

danz1985 Active Member

Ratings:
    +219
    My current routine is for mass and endurance. Plus I have a fair amount of reps which I imagine will burn plenty of calories.

If you want pure strength I would recommend starting strength.
    Credit to Mark Rippetoe for this.

This involves alternating workouts weekly.
    Week 1
    Mon workout A
    Wed workout B
    Fri workout A

Week 2
    Mon workout B
    Wed workout A
    Fri workout B

All workouts are 3 set and 5 reps (3x5) apart from Deadlift. Sets don't include warm up sets.

Workout A
    Squats
    Bench Press
    Deadlift only do 1x5 on this though

Workout B
    Squat
    Standing Military press
    Bent over rows

With this routine you will be able to increase weights from workout to workout as it is very basic but effective. I increased 10kg in 4 workouts on this.
    The workout I'll be following I only increase the weight every 5 weeks but apparently it gives you more muscle mass and not so much strength.
    If I wasn't going on holiday in 4 months I would have kept at starting strength for another 7 weeks. Taking it to 10 weeks total.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  26. mr:w

mr:w Member

Ratings:
    +132
    Don't be afraid to use what you might think are pathetically light weights to get your form right first. Also slow things right down if you need to to get it right.

A good friend of mine, who owned the gym I used to go to, checked out some of my exercises when I first joined. I thought I was okay so picked up some weights and started showing what I could press / lift / curl etc.

The next week he said we'd do the same exercises only concentrate on form & speed rather than weight, and I probably halved what I was lifting the week before - it also burnt a whole load more!

So don't be afraid of light weights, it may not feel it at the time but you're still getting benefit from them.
  27. Coffin

Coffin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,796
    Form is everything, something I've learnt this past 6 months

A classic example is the conventional press up. Some people do them 100mph and say '20, done!' yet if you ask them to do the same exercise with a movement of 2/3 seconds up and 2/3 seconds down, they struggle
  28. Basil Plumley

Basil Plumley New Member

Ratings:
    +733
    I'm not really interested in body building as such but I'm quite keen on general fitness and well being and there's a lot of good reading in this thread.

I am nearly 46 years old now and spent 22 years in the army - infantry. As you can probably imagine, the amount of "fizz" I did was quite high and I was always pretty fit - 5'8" and never went 11 stone in 22 years. Never failed a fitness test or assesment and was always on the go.

After leaving the army full time and taking up a less active part time role with the army, my fitness levels dropped and the weight piled on quite quickly. Everybody told me it was down to bein the "wrong side" of 40 and that it happened to everybody. I didn't feel good about myself and I certainly didn't look great - going from a 30 inch waist to a 38 and at my heaviest I weighrd 13 stone 7...however, last October I took a good long look at myself and found I was basically doing 2 things wrong:
    1 - Drinking to much beer - though I really wasn't drinking a great deal more than I had in the past...
    2 - Not enough exercise - which combined with 1 above = the weight and body fat gain...

So - I gave up drinking altogether for 6 weeks while I gave my body a good re-introduction to the gym. My aim was primarily to lose weight but at the same time, I wanted to improve the way I looked and my physical fitness. I hit the gym every other day and did 30 minutes of CV on a cross trainer followed by Pilates and general strength and core stability. My core had become flabby and I felt very weak. I spoke to an army PTI and he identified as my main problem so my secondary task was to work my TVA and obliques as well as my back and hamstrings...

After 6 weeks of no drinking at all and 3 or 4 gym sessions a week, I lost a stone and four inches of my waist. Everybody that bought me clothes for Christmas got me size medium and it all fits with room to spare. I've yet to have a fat content check but part of my job involves having an (out of date) BMI every year - and I've gone from 32 last year to 26 this...which I'm chuffed with. I now have the odd beer but if I buy a six pack, I don't have to quaf the lot in a oner...six cans will last me more than a week now.

I've always watched what I eat - even when I was whacking the poundage on - so knew deep down the problem I had was me and my total and utter lack of motivation.
    I'm not aiming for a particular weight and to be honest, 12st 7lb for a 45 year old man with a 32 inch waist I'm told isn't that bad up there with the national average.
    I feel happy within myself and if anybody here feels that you don't think you'll benefit 'cos you're to old, then think again.
    Start slowly and remember to stretch off so you don't ache (so much!) afterwards...don't tell the Mrs, but I was actually getting chatted up by some hot chick in Satrbucks the other day who must have been half my age and very tasty - me a grand dad as well...:eek::D
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  29. danz1985

danz1985 Active Member

Ratings:
    +219
    Basil that's fantastic result for any length of period but 6 weeks is amazing :thumbsup:

To be happy within yourself is one of the most important goals for me and one I'm aiming for in the short term.

Side note, I just completed my first workout of the circuit I posted in post #75 and wow do I feel worked out. Felt really good but not to the point where I'm sore or feel burning. I also identified I need to either lower weight or work on my form for over head press. That one was extremely tough.
  30. StevePSIV

StevePSIV Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,093
    Anyone used creatine before?

Friend of mine is using it so thought I would look it up on google and it seemed to be useful for gaining muscle/strength..