Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gas cooker help

Discussion in 'Home Appliances' started by dennis, Jul 12, 2006.

1. dennis

dennis Member

Ratings:
    +58
    ah well ive had help on a lot of things from this forum,but this?
    the cooker part of my gas oven has a problem,it will turn on and ignite but the flames wont go any higher when i turn the knob up ie to gas mark 1 to 9,
    any ideas? could it be a thermostat or something?,i cant really afford a new cooker.it,s a rangmaster by the way.

the things we put on here:rolleyes:
  2. Paulie-W

Paulie-W Active Member

Ratings:
    +521
    Could be a blocked valve.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. pave

pave New Member

Ratings:
    +179
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,881
    Try poking a pin through the holes in the burner in the back of the oven a spill or gradual build of food can cause this (did on mine)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. dennis

dennis Member

Ratings:
    +58
    the holes seem clear as it lights up ok,just wont go any higher than that,where would the valve be?
  6. hufartd

hufartd Member

Ratings:
    +67
    there is a theromostat sytem in gas ovens, the problem is more likely to be the flame sensing device I.e it won't allow the main burner to flow unless the flame is detected.
    Don't try to fix this yourself.
    Get someone in or buy a new cooker.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,881
    That's exactly what mine was doing, it would light up fine but wouldn't go any higher when i turned it up. quick poke with a pin and was sorted.

maybe yours is a different prob though :thumbsdow
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. metropolis

metropolis Member

Ratings:
    +173

hello dennis

without knowing exactly what model you have its probably better to speak in general terms about your problem.in the vast majority of cases like this its normaly the fsd ( flame sensing device ). the fsd is a gas control that will only let the main gas through to the burner when it senses heat ie a flame to light the gas when it comes through .the fsd has a small phial at the end of a thin tube which is sited over the flame on your oven burner , when you turn the oven on,if this phial is not correctly sited or there is a partial blockage in the burner under the phial then the fsd will not sense the flame properly and will not allow the main gas to come on.
    if the fsd itself is faulty then it will need to be replaced as i.t cannot be repaired.
    there is a possibility that there is a problem with the oven thermostat stuck in a clsed position and alowing gas through at bypass rate or there could also be a solenoid in the supply to the oven.

the only useful advice i can give you with your prob is to get a corgie registered engineer to have a look at it or contact rangemaster as they may have there own repair service as its not a diy job.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Carl Stock

Carl Stock Member

Ratings:
    +125
    Sounds like flame device or thermostat, etc., and you must get a Corgi or official manufacturer engineer in. Gas appliances and indeed electrical appliances must be checked by qualified engineers. (Sorry if I sound patronising.)

Our Stoves cooker has the same problem every few years, and we always think it is the thermostat. Stoves come round to fix it, and it is sometimes the thermostat and sometimes the flame device. Sometimes, it is both!

Do as metropolis says and get the cooker checked. (Nag nag! :))

Anyway, it is OK to mention cookers because how else are we supposed to eat when watching/listening to our hi-fis/home cinema/computers/games consoles? ;) Also, cookers make noise and pretty sights (the gas flames or halogen hob! :D), so I say they count as AV! :rotfl:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1