1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garage Conversion with the garage door intact

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by gars, Jul 9, 2009.

1. gars

gars Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All
    I require some help regarding my garage conversion. I am planning to convert my garage into a bedroom with ensuite. My council as told me that I require to apply for planning permission for the conversion as they have removed the permitted development rights for the area. I was planning to have a knock through to the garage from my living room as well as have a front door entrance directly into the garage. As I live in a linked semi detached house there is no other away to access the back garden other than through the garage or through the house. I prefer having an entrance through the garage to the garden which will be easy for waste disposal and other things. Presently the council is happy with everything but not with the front door access. They consider it will become self contained even though I have clearly shown them in the plan that I have passage through my living room to the garage.
    After so much of thoughts I am planning to have the garage door with a wicket door cut through it and convert the room behind it into a bedroom. Also planning to have a skylight window for light. There is a back door for ventilation. My query is has anyone here converted this way in the past, this will mean technically the front portion is a garage door with a pedestrian door inbuilt in it. Opening that door will give me access to the bedroom and back garden directly.
    Will the council grant me the permission to have the garage door intact for the conversion, will there be any other issues raised regarding this? Your replies will be very useful for me to proceed further with the planning permission.
    Regards
    g