Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gamecube games in widescreen?

Discussion in 'Other Gaming Chat' started by Jen, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Jen

Jen Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I'm planning on getting a Gamecube to connect to my 37" Panasonic plasma screen. For this reason, I'm looking at an import cube to use component connections and to get progressive scan capability.

My question is, are the games on the cube in widescreen? I don't fancy playing in 4:3 with massive black bars down the sides!

TIA,

Jen
  2. groundy

groundy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As ever, some games support Widescreen, some don't. For the record, it seems that those games that support Progressive Scan also support 16:9. Some titles which include these features are Rogue Leader, Eternal Darkness, Pikmin and Luigi's Mansion, as well as many others.

Definately go for an import Cube as Progressive Component is superb. ;)
  3. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Luigi's Mansion does not support widescreen. It just doesn't look bad when stretched.
  4. groundy

groundy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Reading over my post I can see it wasn't really that clear in this respect. Luigi, Rogue Leader, Pikmin are all Progressive Scan compatible, not 16:9. Eternal Darkness is both. I was outlining some games that included either/or of the aformentioned features. :)
  5. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass Active Member

Ratings:
    +289
    Hi,

Does anyone have a list of PAL gamecube games which have a widescreen mode, either released games or upcoming ones?

Thanks.

RDB :)
  6. fuzzybee

fuzzybee New Member

Ratings:
    +73
    Not that many mate all I know of is Virtua striker 3.
    A bloody travesty that RL2 has no widescreen option.

:D
  7. McPastry

McPastry Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Burnout's got a widescreen mode as well...
  8. keyser

keyser Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I nver got a reply on this...What I don´t get in eternal darkness... I´ve just begun playing it and I have a widescreen tv, but when I swich to widescreen in the menu at the start of the game, then the cinema sequences don´t fill the screen, but they do fill to the sides when i have it set to 4:3 on the start menu... whats up with that?? Does it matter if I have the computer connected component or not as far as that goes?
  9. groundy

groundy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Keyser, it's nothing to worry about - it's just the way some of the cut scenes were encoded. It happens on mine too :).
  10. NeoBlade

NeoBlade Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Its also annoying when the new Tosh basically forces the widescreen aspect ratio on progressive scan images
    (like all GameCube games). If theres a 16:9 option then great, but if there isn't one then its a pain in the arse IMO. Still.. I can't complain too much, the image quality is nothing short of amazing and I can't wait to get my DVD player now ^_^
  11. fuzzybee

fuzzybee New Member

Ratings:
    +73
    Neoblade

I take it you have your new tosh then/
    Well what do you think of it?

I have been playing Eternal Darkness all day and I have to say it is the best game I have played so far on my GC.
    A proper 16:9 option and pro logic II FANTASTIC
  12. NeoBlade

NeoBlade Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Fuzzybee, its damn sweet indeed ^_^ I wish I could take some pics but my digicam died on me. You can read my initial thoughts on this this thread.

The progressive scan is supeer sweet and the amaount of detail on the games has to be seen alright. Wave Race seems to have the largest jump in quality so far but Smash Bros Melee is a close second. So far I've tried it with Smash Bros, Sega's Soccer Slam, Wave Race and Rogue Leader... All of which sadly was forced into a widescreen format.

I really want Eternal Darkness now but I must resist... I have a DVD player and a servo sub-woofer next on the hit list, and with Mario on pre-order it looks like the rest of the year will be pretty sweet indeed ^_^
  13. fuzzybee

fuzzybee New Member

Ratings:
    +73
    Neoblade

Nice one mate glad the tv is ok I know how long you have been waiting for it,
    You seem to be building a nice home cinema setup.

My missus won't let me sell my 36ZP18 for the new tosh:mad:
    but I am happy with it anyway:confused:

A word of advice though mate you must get Eternall Darkness do not resist it's amazing.

All the best fuzzybee
  14. NeoBlade

NeoBlade Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Fuzzybee, I've spent an awful lot on this AV rig but then whenever I sit back on the leather sofa and spin a DVD, I know its been worth it. I'm still 20 which means an awful lot more spending on other things (I haven't even taken any driving lessons yet!!!) so I need to get on with with it.

The Tosh ZP18 though is still a looker with a great picture when there isn't any faults. To be honest with you there isn't a massive difference between the two in terms of quality until of course you run in prog.scan.

Are you using Picture Mode 3 yet btw? The dynamic contrast on that set is pure evil IMO. Best of to tweak picture mode 3 and then buy a THX DVD (like T2) and setup your TV. If you have a dedicated setup DVD then thats even better.

As for Eternal Darkness.... Must.... Resist... I'm almost neck high in bills so most of my resources will be spent on that first. Once I have my finances in order I'll get Eternal Darkness, but its not too long before Mario comes out now...
  15. fuzzybee

fuzzybee New Member

Ratings:
    +73
    Neoblade

The spending never stops mate,
    theres always an upgrade option somewhere be it home cinema,games consoles,cars,houses,clothes the list is endless.

You seem to be doing ok for a 20 year old,I was 25 before I got into home cinema 7 years ago AHM.

I have worked out with a bit of overtime and cutting back hopefully in a year or two a plasma will be mine.

I have tried picture mode3 and to be honest I did not like it?
    The missus came in when I was tweeking it and she went mad.
    I have to please her with my AV rig so it restricts my speaker purchases especially.

I have plenty of THX discs by the way my dvd collection is around 150 now(which is nice).

Do not get yourself in debt tho mate I made that mistake in my younger days and it takes years to get out of it.

All the best fuzzybee
  16. NeoBlade

NeoBlade Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, it does take a while to get used of Picture Mode 3, since the image might look a bit flat to some. The contrast though for me was way too high that ghosting appeared on any text (esp. Sky digi menus) so I turned it off.

I know mate >_< Thats probably why I wasn't eager to get my own car and that since knowing me I'd want to mod it >_< Clothes is a killer as well since I've ran out of storage so my room is exactly like a students one now, with shirts on the chair etc. Its nit neat, but it works as a temp storage ^_^

A plasma would be sweet alright but it is a lot of cash. As always do a bit of research into it beforehand and the guys on this forum are often happy to help out. Right now I'm trying to put away any temptations until the summer of next year. Mainly because I'm off on holiday and then on a small shoping trip in HK <g>

As for debt, I would really hate to be in that situation so I tend to avoid it with careful planning on my purchases. Of course everyone gets into debt once in their lives, but its best to prevent it from happening in the first place. Things have gone rather lean thanks to this AV stuff (can't go out to town to check out the great sales at Envy or River Island.. And no new games >_<) but at least its almost there.

Once all this is done I just need to get back into education I reckon. I have a fair bit of Computer Science knowledge so I might as well get some other grades to prove it, and then hopefully land another job.

Keep it real Fuzzybee
  17. keyser

keyser Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Why tweak picture mode 3? Why not just set the contrast to 60, brightness and color at 50, sharpness -10 and tint at +10, which I think looks good?? Is picture mode 3 any differente once you tweak it.
  18. NeoBlade

NeoBlade Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Keyer, me and DoubleDoom have stated before that using Picture Mode 3 will get rid of Dynamic Contrast. On my Tosh set before with dynamic contrast on, the text on Sky Digital had far too much contrast to the point that there was major ghosting. IMO it really did ruin the set and was extremely thankfull that it could be turned off.

You should try setting the image to Picture mode 3 (tweaked of course) and try that DVD again in prog.scan Keyser, and see if that grain is more evident.