1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GAME Watch: Fewer stores, new app & now Steam codes!

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Forum' started by Guns_LotsOfGuns, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Goooner

Goooner Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,929
    It's the same in Milton Keynes, there's a Game and a Gamestation within 50 yds of each other, and in the same shopping centre there's another Game no more than 3 minutes walk away. It's a well known fact locally that the shop rental and business rated in MK shopping centre are on the high side, which is why a lot of shops seem to close down on a regular basis. So having 3 shops from the same group in a high cost shopping centre would seem crazy.
  2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook Moderator & Reviewer

Ratings:
    +3,273
    Agree. I'm really surprised at their management to have not acted on that issue.

If the leases on the shops are all far too long to cancel, then again that is a failing on management to have signed up for so long. If it applies to the Gamestation stores as well then they really should have looked into that prior to buying Gamestation.

There is really no need to have three quiet stores within a few minutes of each other. To anyone, that's uneconomical.
  3. Lurking Lawyer

Lurking Lawyer Active Member

Ratings:
    +932
    I'd guess that the management took the view that there was less cost in keeping multiple stores open post-acquisition than closing them. Bear in mind also that they would inherit not only the lease but the staff who worked in the shop, so not only would they have had to pay to get out of teh lease early but also to make the staff redundant.

I assume that it was appreciated that it would mean overcapacity for the period until the leases expired but that they gambled that those costs would be offset by the additional profitability once the leases had expired and the overheads reduced accordingly.

In reality, the gamble hasn't paid off. It doesn't mean it was warranted at the time - which, remember, was before the supermarkets waded into the games market and started their aggressive loss-leader prices to get footfall in store.

Hindsight is always 20/20.....

(I'm not disagreeing with you necessarily - just playing devil's advocate and pointing out that it probably wasn't that clear-cut at the time :) )
  4. Rorifett

Rorifett Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,113
    Yeah the EB, Game and Gamestation mergers/buyouts have been crazily thought out. Just too much expansion too quickly, maybe them just doing a retail EA/Rangers & Celtic and buying up the opposition before they get a good solid foothold.
  5. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,212
  6. Bamford38

Bamford38 Member

Ratings:
    +224
  7. Captain Speedy

Captain Speedy Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,021
    and now there is a bloody great CEX between Game and Gamestation in Crownwalk :facepalm:
  8. BluWarfareHD09

BluWarfareHD09 Active Member

Ratings:
    +165
    Onlive and streaming services are fine for people with great connections and people who don't care about a physical copy, but I neither have a good enough connection to stream a game constantly and I also love actuly owning a game,cd, blu ray etc. My mate is on a low income so has an internet connection with a 20gb bandwidth limit, so screaming games, music and films is not an option either for him.
  9. Greg Hook

Ratings:
    +3,273
    I don't disagree there. It is very easy for us to say what has gone wrong now with hindsight.

It's just that I would expect those in charge of such a massive company to know what they were doing, when it seems they actually don't. To keep an eye on the figures and trends etc and see that there is really no need for two stores next to each other.

Obviously asset stripping is horrendous and puts many people out of jobs, but when they bought Gamestation, they should have merged the brand and closed the stores near each other. I suppose they should be thanked that they kept so many people employed.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  10. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,212
    and people complained when Nestle was taken over and jobs were cut, nor was there any government help to bail out Woolies when it's high street stores closed, or Zavvi for that matter.
  11. Lurking Lawyer

Lurking Lawyer Active Member

Ratings:
    +932
    In an ideal world, yes.

But as I said, I assume that the costs of terminating leases (which presumably had no break clauses) was too much to make that viable, which is why they left them open. They gambled that the pros of the merger would outweigh the cons, including the increased rent costs, but that gamble doesn't seem to have paid off....
  12. tompop

tompop Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Thinking of it there are 3 games and 1 gamestations in both my towns, merry hill and Birmingham which is a bit mad. Carnt be good to have so many shops within such short area.

I am saddened that they are going down though.
  13. dieeasysteve

dieeasysteve Active Member

Ratings:
    +377
    The thing is, In belfast we didn't have any Gamestations. The three games stores in the centre where opened while the others where already there. We are talking about a 0.3mile walk that will take you past 3 game stores an HMV and a gamestop.
  14. Goooner

Goooner Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,929
    The thing is, originally there was only the Game and Gamestation within 50 yards of each other, but then an extension was added to the shopping centre, which is when they opened the seond branch of Game:facepalm:
  15. Katana

Katana Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Just Read this on Nowgamer Web site,

Hopefully they've sorted things out with EA.

Game and EA "committed to ensuring" Mass Effect 3 "inconvenience" doesn't reoccur.

Published on Mar 1, 2012

UK retailer Game has played down it's most recent issues - the cancellation of orders and confirming no stock of Mass Effect 3 a week before launch - that resulted in acquisition speculation and a 15 per cent share price drop yesterday.

"Today the Group confirmed that it will not be stocking a small number of titles from one supplier, Electronic Arts, during March and notes that this has caused speculation in the market," Game said in a statement.

"This situation, which is a result of ongoing discussions between the Group and EA, is a temporary one and indeed both businesses are already engaged in discussions about future launches together. It is always a matter of regret when customers are inconvenienced, and both the Group and EA are committed to ensuring that this situation does not occur again."

Game Group has also dropped stock of The Last Story and Ubisoft's (since restocked) PS Vita lauch titles.

"As part of the strategic plan development process which it announced on February 3rd, the Group has been working closely with its suppliers, as well as other stakeholders. In particular, the Group has been discussing with its suppliers the level of support and engagement it needs from them over the coming months. There have, during that process, been isolated instances where it has not been possible to agree launch plans for individual game titles," Game's statement added
  16. Greg Hook

Ratings:
    +3,273
    Slightly different from their laughable press release a few days ago. They gave the impression then that they had dumped EA for strategic reasons.

Now, they are saying the EA situation is just temporary.

Clearly EA are not giving them credit anymore. I'm not sure how they resolve that without a cash injection allowing them to pay up front. EA aren't going to suddenly change their mind and give them credit.
  17. noisecrime

noisecrime Member

Ratings:
    +206
    From what i've been reading in MCV (Market for Computer & Video Games - trade press), Game appear desperate to move to a 'consignment' base model, where retailers stock products without owning them until a sale is completed, in order to 'de-risk'.

Obviously this is a great business model for retailers as they don't buy stock upfront (unsure if that means there are zero costs though), but of course this just shifts the cash-flow issue to the publishers/suppliers and requires a massive amount of trust on the part of publishers/suppliers.

Personally I don't see it happening, not with the state Game are currently in, at least not without some serious collateral being offset against the practice should it all go tits up.

Honestly I don't see that publishers/suppliers need to bother. As sad as it may be for Game to disappear, especially for the thousands of staff working there, I just don't see them being that relevant these days, hence why they are in trouble in the first place.

If they go under, there are plenty of other avenues for publishers and hardware manufactures to use to sell and promote their wares.
  18. Beximus

Beximus Member

Ratings:
    +237
    Sounds like a posh way of saying 'sale or return'.

Game could be relevant, but I think they've removed themselves too far from the customer, and what a customer wants from a game store. Demo stations, more relevant advice, not being badgered to buy lots of pointless add-ons you don't need and - goes without saying - more competative prices.
  19. Lostsoul 301281

Lostsoul 301281 Member

Ratings:
    +176
    Add "leave me the **** alone when I walk into your store" to that list.
    GAME staff are the worst offenders.
    Pretty much as soon as you walk through the doors, they're on you, asking if you need any help.
    Then, as you already said, they're pestering you at the counter to buy points, add-ons, strategy guides.

The trouble with GAME is that they pretty much have the monopoly on video game sales.
    They are the only store that stocks all major releases on day one.
    When Skyrim came out, I went to the Lakeside/West Thurrock retail park store as it's meant to open at 9am.
    Not only was it not open til 10am, but when I checked Tesco, PC World, Currys and Toys R Us, none of them had SKyrim in stock, so I still had to wait til 10am for GAME to open.

And BTW, the retail park store was the third GAME store to at Lakeside.
    The first two are in the Lakeside shopping center, one of which has always been a GAME store and always been in the same location.
    The second one used to be Electronics Boutique and was practically right on top of the other, larger store, until it was moved half up the mall next to HMV.
  20. Rorifett

Rorifett Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,113
    Amended.

GAME, in my opinion, got sloppy and thought they had the market tied up so thought they could take over the public-facing gaming world. Unfortunately for them the internet exploded, everyone and their dog (well maybe not everyone but most) folks know better than to go straight to GAME for games these days and the check online. Probably just another case of someone not adapting with the times
  21. Graham27

Graham27 Active Member

Ratings:
    +788
    I don't like Game's service either, but you can't really blame them for it, their method was proven to add sales. That tactic's value is debatable now as people expect it and are ready to decline, but for a while it was a very worthwhile procedure.

So many shops do it. If I buy a bar of chocolate at 50p in a local newsagent, they ask me if I want to buy one of the bigger special offers bars at £1. Obviously, if I wanted the bigger bar I'd have bought it in the first place, but they seemingly sell several boxes worth every day to other folk, so it's a good technique for them.

Unfortunately, giving the customer what they want isn't necessarily a way to make money. Everyone knows how they wanted to be treated in a shop, and how they want a shop to be, but that sort of stuff doesn't often make financial sense.

I worked in a different industry, one in which people were always demanding demo facilities, and so we installed them. We did gain a few sales from the demo area, but we lost overall from giving up the selling space. Ripped out the demo area, turnover went back up again.

It's tricky :)
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  22. pixelpixel

pixelpixel Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,777
    Is it really that bad ? Do we need to get our pitch forks out and camp outside each game until they stop doing it ?

Back in the early 90's a store named GAP started a policy that each member of staff would have to approach a customer before they reached the back of the store. Some stories starting doing the same. I would rather see staff walking about than standing talking to each other.

You will probably find that Game have various stats to say that people who are asked if they need help spend more and maybe they even come back more often.

Its easy to say no thanks and leave it at that. I have purchased various counter offers over the last year.
  23. brumhee

brumhee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,113
    Awaits obligatory Simpsons pitch picture
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  24. King Tones

King Tones Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,142
    [​IMG]

:)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  25. tompop

tompop Member

Ratings:
    +45
    What shop doesn't do that now, its normal. Most shops will not let staff stand around now
  26. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,212
    If it was a "fit bird" that approached you I bet you wouldn't be so rude lol

Heck I bet she'd entice you into buying stuff you don't need :rotfl:
  27. Lostsoul 301281

Lostsoul 301281 Member

Ratings:
    +176
    When I go into a shop like GAME, I don't want to be bothered by staff as I know what I'm looking for.
    If there's something I can't find, I'll ask.

When I worked in Ikea they had a policy of getting on with what ever jobs you have to do and not bother customers unless they ask for help.

This policy of approaching customers all the time can very easily backfire.
    If I walk into a store and I'm constantly bothered by staff, I'll walk out and take my business else where.
  28. pixelpixel

pixelpixel Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,777
    How does someone who is told to approach you know this ? They can't read your mind. Just say no thanks.

Why don't you play the "game" like I do. When asked if you need help or looking something say yes. Then ask for a product that you clearly know they don't have or a game you know won't be out for a few months. I am currently looking ultimate marvel vs capcom 3 and a 8 button arcade stick. ;)
  29. Lostsoul 301281

Lostsoul 301281 Member

Ratings:
    +176
    I'm an awkward arse.
    I hate shopping, but if I want something right away I'll go to a store to get it, rather than order online and wait.
    I like to walk into a place, find what I want, pay and get out without being asked 20 questions.
    "Did you find everything you were looking for?"
    "Would you like a strategy guide?"
    "Would you like to pre-order [insert title]?"
    "Would you like to buy any points?"
    "Would you rather buy the ratty pre-owned copy of this game that's in worse condition than we'd actually accept if you were trying to trade it in?"
  30. BluWarfareHD09

BluWarfareHD09 Active Member

Ratings:
    +165
    Whats so hard in saying "no thank you, I'm alright at the moment" it's not exactly hard to do, also you said when you worked at IKEA you where told to get on with your job, well I'll think you'll find that thats part of there job. Also I don't mind them telling you about promotions at the desk" buy x game and get x guide at discount" when I went in to pick up battlefield 3 I didnt know they were selling the book(novel) until the guy serving said, and like I said before it's not that hard to so "no thank I'm not interested" if you dont want it.