Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GAME Watch: Fewer stores, new app & now Steam codes!

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Forum' started by Guns_LotsOfGuns, Feb 1, 2012.

1. SID 6581

SID 6581 Active Member

Ratings:
    +347
    If that's for Special Delivery (which is the only next day delivery Royal Mail offer) then it's under the £5.90 Royal Mail charge at the counter. However, if that's for 1st class then I agree it's a rip off.
  2. BluWarfareHD09

BluWarfareHD09 Active Member

Ratings:
    +180
  3. AdsterUK

AdsterUK Member

Ratings:
    +76
    Picking a game with no release date yet isn't not really a fair comparison.

If you compare Binary Domain, chosen purely because its released in 2 days, then play have it for £29.99 and Game for £39.99.
    Or Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend, also £29.99 at Play and £39.99 at Game.

Also worth remembering that Game online prices have no bearing on instore prices, and its the stores that have been the brunt of most comments in the thread.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  4. Simon Coates

Simon Coates Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I (obviously) went for the standard delivery - I've already received the 'dispatched' email.
    What I'm really getting at is that you can see how Game are losing out to places like Asda and Morrisons. The game I ordered was Skyrim - £37.99 at Game (£42.94 for next day) but £35 at the local Morrisons.

Also, regarding Play.com pricing - I've recently noticed that Play and all other Channel Island retailers have recently increased their prices. They are all currently fighting the upcoming law regarding LVCR - the Jersey and Guernsey States are taking HMRC/Treasury to the High Court next month. It looks like they've increased their prices to be more inline with the mainland in an attempt to appease UK retailers.
    No more 2100 points for £14.99 :(
  5. Graham27

Graham27 Active Member

Ratings:
    +797
    I'm not sure that's the case :) The retailers in the CI have no need to appease UK retailers.The majority of retailers are trying to milk the last days of LVCR, rather than putting their prices up.

Play's prices have fluctuated a fair bit since the takeover, some things are more expensive than they were, some things are cheaper. One item I've been keeping an eye on has gone from £35 to £20 and back again. I don't think it's the case that they're universally raising prices, unless they're preparing VAT-inclusive prices, which would be a bit naughty.

Who else has put their prices up? Amazon/Indigo Starfish aren't making changes yet, although they have warned staff that they'll likely be made redundant if the States lose the case.
  6. Simon Coates

Simon Coates Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I've noticed it with items within the LVCR limit. Anything over £15 is subject to VAT. For example, recently you could buy 2100 points for £14.50 to £14.99 depending on supplier. eg the Hut/Zavvi, Play, 7dayshop etc... but they're all up the £17 mark at the moment. Putting their prices inline with the UK helps the court case since the basis of the new ruling is unfair competition.
    I hope they manage to successfully fight it as I've got a business interest in the CI fulfilment industry :(
  7. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,256
    Unfair competition. Rip Off Britain springs to mind. Maybe UK retailers should reduce their prices? I recently bought a monitor £70 cheaper than the cheapest UK competition from the EU. Savvy consumers don't like being shafted with over the odd prices and will do anything to get an item cheaper.
  8. Rorifett

Rorifett Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,014
    Simon, prices for points are tied in with the exchange rate, they've not been available for sub-£15 for a while now
  9. Graham27

Graham27 Active Member

Ratings:
    +797
    I don't think it would make any difference. If there was no VAT applied, even if the CI companies were the same price as UK retailers it'd still be unfair. They'd be making a far higher profit on each item as part of the price wouldn't be made up of VAT. And the taxman wants his cut of goods coming from the CI, so they're not going to give up on that.

The CI retailers are making the most of the last days of LVCR, many of them are going out of business if the case is lost, so they're carrying on while they can.
    I hope so too, I live here :) But if I were you, I'd be thinking about cashing in those shares, or checking what the company's strategy is. Most of them are half way to Switzerland...
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  10. noisecrime

noisecrime Member

Ratings:
    +206
    Game to close gameplay.co.uk next week and 35 stores.
    All gameplay.co.uk customers will now be served via Gamestation.co.uk as of March 1st.

Source MCV

My gut feeling is that it doesn't look good for Game, I'm not even sure these closures is anything like enough to help and even if they survive another year, without drastic changes to combat online purchases I just don't see a future for a game centric national store chain. Obviously that's rather a sad state of affairs, although they wont be the only ones.

Same with HMV, at xmas I needed to get 'waking the dead' series 7 (I think the most recent) last minute for someone. I phoned up my local HMV in town and was told it was £25! I was shocked and asked them to double check as I had Amazon open at the time where it was £12.99. They confirmed, I said thanks very much and promptly click the buy button in my browser.

Seriously if that's the difference between online and 'bricks & mortar' then they don't stand a chance.

I suspect the high street in 2-5 years will look very different, as it appears for media and to a lesser degree electrical/white goods that they simply can't compete. I mean the high street goes through changes anyway every few years (boom/bust etc), but you would never have previously thought that large chain stores like HMV, Currys, Dixons etc to simply disappear. Nowadays I feel that's a definite possibility.
  11. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,256
    Dear Gameplay Customer,

We have some very important news for you - as of March 1st the Gameplay website is merging with our sister site, Gamestation.co.uk.

The gaming experts at Gamestation.co.uk offer the same great value and service as Gameplay, and they'd love you to shop with them. As a valued Gameplay customer we'd like to offer you a £5 voucher code to spend at Gamestation.co.uk*

Interested? Here is your code - (Removed as I will most likely use it ha)

We'd like to thank you for being a great customer over the years, and we've truly enjoyed delivering the best in gaming to each and every one of you. It's been a pleasure!

The Team

Gameplay » Buy Cheap Video Games and Consoles + Free UK Delivery
  12. Beximus

Beximus Member

Ratings:
    +239
    Selling off, or closing some of their sideline assets is the best move for them right now. They haven't touched Gameplay for years, so it's an obvious first choice to close I guess.

Hopefully they'll have the sense to close stores in areas where there are more than one in the town.
  13. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,078
    I'm a customer, I'm also self employed so I appreciate the "value" of goods and services.

Business is all about attaching a value to an item/service you want/need (and when you want/need it).

In this case, your need wasn't that great, as you opted to wait and get it cheaper, but if you were stuck and opted to buy it, then I say fair play to HMV for having what you wanted at short notice.

I'm not having a dig at you directly here BTW, but people need to understand more how business works.

Having said that, I do think HMV fall on the wrong end of the perception of "value" when it comes to their every day pricing and personally, I wouldn't buy from them.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Ico.

Ico. Active Member

Ratings:
    +505
    I know it's a wii game but still...
    Link
  15. TcT Sid

TcT Sid Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,312
    Should we be getting worried about Mass Effect 3 CE's? i hope not.
  16. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,256
    Ranjeet, the dude who runs the local corner shop always says "Service with a Smile but No Discounts." I think everyone should follow his ethos :D
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. noisecrime

noisecrime Member

Ratings:
    +206
    Unfortunately not, at that price I simply wouldn't buy it and get something else, it simply wasn't worth the price, let alone the additional cost in time and parking getting into town.

Conversely someone else wanted the book 'Monsters in thefilm' by John Landis. A high quality 'coffee table' book. I found it on Amazon for £17 (R.R.P £25), but they were going to take at least two-three weeks. Speaking to Waterstones in town they had it in stock at the R.R.P, which I felt was worth the price. However last minute the person it was for changed their mind so I didn't end up going in.

So whilst I take you overall point, that having a product at short notice can have an impact its not guaranteed and in the majority of cases I'd simply go for the waiting option. I'm not even sure i'd give points for HMV having it in stock, I'm pretty sure it had only recently been released.

Yeah, no problem about the discussion and I'd agree that not everything is cut & dry.

But isn't that the point? At the prices they were charging unless you have money to burn, most sensible people will shop around instead. I mean before the internet I wouldn't have bought it at that price straight off anyway, I would have walked around town and checked out the price at other shops first.

I'd say in this case it was HMV's business sense that was lacking, you simply can't charge double the price compared to competitors and get away with it.

Indeed at the price they were charging I would more likely have driven to the outer of town shopping center with two major supermarket chains and free parking as there would have been a good chance of getting it and cheaper too.
  18. Guns_LotsOfGuns

Guns_LotsOfGuns Moderator/Games Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,485
    Saw several people being given bad news and having their deposits refunded for The Last Story on the Wii this morning while I was picking up Syndicate.

The staff seemed to be a little oblivious as what was happening and why, not sure if they were playing dumb but hopefully the Mass Effect launch wont get effected by this :lease:
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  19. pixelpixel

pixelpixel Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    I have ordered Street Fighter vs Tekken SE from my local Game. The price has already dropped £10 this week. I might have to cancel my preorder and set it up again at the new price.

For special editions of games I really only have Game to buy from. :(
  20. Bamford38

Bamford38 Member

Ratings:
    +224
    I think the Mass Effect 3 CE is safe as GAME is one of the only places selling it and its been sold out for a couple of weeks now.

If for some reason they did cancel the pre-orders then that would be it for them.
  21. AdsterUK

AdsterUK Member

Ratings:
    +76
    I always wonder why Game don't price match. Yes they'd lose cash to the odd savvy customer who was going to buy from them anyway but has checked around first for prices, but they'd gain a LOT of sales they currently miss out on. And a sale with a small margin has to be better business than no sale at all.
  22. pixelpixel

pixelpixel Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    I have a friend who got sent an email today telling him that his special edition has arrived and was safe in the warehouse.

I remember my local Game in Manchester offering a price match. I know Gamestation do and so do HMV. I have 2 Game shops and both can have different deals and also different prices.
  23. AdsterUK

AdsterUK Member

Ratings:
    +76
    My understanding is that Gamestation will only pricematch trade-in value, not purchases. And I'm sure I've checked before in Game who wouldnt even match their own website.

A quick google suggests neither Game nor HMV pricematch
  24. Graham27

Graham27 Active Member

Ratings:
    +797
    Price matching isn't feasible in many cases. If it was an easy way to make profit, all retailers would do it.

If you introduce a price match policy, it prompts people to seek out the best price before they come in, whereas most of the customers of Game clearly don't bother at the mo.

And it's not necessarily a case that you'd still make a small margin on price matched products, it can be a loss. Supermarkets have loss-leaders on games in the hope that you'll buy the rest of your shopping there. If a Game shop had to match that they'd lose money on each copy sold.
  25. Beximus

Beximus Member

Ratings:
    +239
    Slight aside - someone on another forum I read had bought a pre-owned game from Game last week, took it home, opened it last night and instead of a game, it contained a bag of white powder. Took it to the police station today and confirmed it was coke. Blimey!

I agree though, I often wondered why Game didn't price match, even with their own website.
  26. tompop

tompop Member

Ratings:
    +50
    That sounds like bull, for one they never keep games in boxes they get the game from behind the till so you could actually see the game put in. When you trade in they always check the disk then as well so they would of noticed straight away.
  27. AdsterUK

AdsterUK Member

Ratings:
    +76
    I'm not suggesting its an easy way to make profit. I just think it would work for Game.

People who currently buy from Game cant be price sensitive or they'd buy somewhere cheaper. I can't see many of them shopping around for the best price. Also any conversation about game is filled with comments from people who went in, saw the prices and left, those are all lost sales.

Game needn't introduce a carte blanche price match either, they could give a list of retailers they will match, set a floor price, or exclude specific launch promos. None are ideal solutions but thats just a few seconds thinking, Game have a business to save, I'd be considering all angles.

At the very minimum they should at least match their own website.
  28. Bamford38

Bamford38 Member

Ratings:
    +224
    This isnt an issue, as very few businesses match their online prices.

Its quite funny how we have this thread going on and over in the blu-ray section theres another thread about how ridiculous the in store prices are at HMV for blu-rays (which is also true for games).

The only problem really is that we (as consumers) have far more choice of where to shop than we ever have before. So anyone who is in the least bit savvy will search around for the best price on anything we want to buy.

If i see a good deal on something i will always check the price at a few other places before i buy it, and im sure most other people do the same.

Theres only 2 stores i still use, CEX and bee.com, and thats only if i want to trade items in.

I really dont see how its gonna change. Bricks and mortar retail for games, blu-rays, etc is definitely on the way out, its just a matter of time.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  29. Mr Noble

Mr Noble Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,516
    I for one shall be waiting in the darkness like a vulture ready to swoop on the inevetable closing down sale bargains.

they should just do online only sales that way they can be competitive without charging £10+ more than competitors.

Still no doubt they will bleed dry as many non-internet savvy oap's before they go down the pan
  30. Graham27

Graham27 Active Member

Ratings:
    +797
    But that's the point, introducing price match makes people more price sensitive. In a lot of cases, such as where I used to live, Game was the only option unless you fancied a long drive, so you had to pay their price. Their USP is that they likely have a branch near the customer whereas their competitors don't. If they introduce price match it's all too easy for the customer to check competitors prices beforehand, then get a cheaper deal on something they were prepared to pay full price for.

I appreciate that Game would get extra turnover if they matched prices, but would it increase profit? with the greatest of respect, the guys running the company know better than you or I, so if something seems obvious to us it'll be really obvious to them. If they thought price matching would increase profit, they'd do it. I see a lot of threads suggesting what struggling retailers should do, but people maybe aren't considering that the retailer will likely have thought of the idea they've suggested, but discarded it.
    If you put in what the public perceive to be 'catches', you'll create bad feeling. Especially if the terms are variable, such as launch promos, etc. If people travel to your store and try to price match and then you quote an exclusion, people will either complain or think the price match policy useless. They'll never shop with you again. Look at what happened when JL changed their policy ever-so-slightly, it was all over the papers.
    Why though? Online and high st have very different costs. Shops that have uniform pricing on and offline are usually closer to the normal offline price.

What Game, and others, are trying to do is offer the best of both worlds. What people aren't realising is it's actually a pretty fair way to do it. Many other retailers do the same, including HMV. If they merged on and offline, shop prices would come down, online prices would go up. So they'd likely gain a little on the high st, but lose their entire online market.

People think Game are ripping folk off, and I'd agree they're expensive, but they're charging a price that isn't even covering their costs.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012