1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GAME Watch: Fewer stores, new app & now Steam codes!

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Forum' started by Guns_LotsOfGuns, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Guns_LotsOfGuns

Guns_LotsOfGuns Moderator/Games Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,399
    Story seems to be breaking that GAME are having issues with publishers

UPDATE: UK Retailer Game: 'Publishers To Withhold New Games' - Source - NowGamer

They then updated the story

MCV have another update

New releases WILL be at GAME this Friday | Games industry news | MCV

Guess that trade in business isn't as good as it seems!?

I dislike GAME as much as the next person but since they are the last Gaming retailer on the high street i woiuldnt like to see them disappear.

Interestingly I have had a problem finding new releases in GAME recently, both Saints Row and Skyrim have been unavailable new in my local stores for several weeks.
  2. Guns_LotsOfGuns

Ratings:
    +2,399
    Eurogamer weighing in

GAME in trouble as doubt cast on ability to stock new games • News • Eurogamer.net

Doesn't sound good at all!
  3. Cerberus30000

Cerberus30000 Member

Ratings:
    +105
    my heart bleeds for them lol shame they had to drag gamestation down with them
  4. Bamford38

Bamford38 Member

Ratings:
    +224
    It would be a shame if GAME shuts down. Until recently i always liked shopping there (online, not in the stores) they generally had very reasonably priced pre owned games and the weekly deals they had were usually quite good.

But since xmas the website is ridiculous. They have almost no stock of anything. They even have a sale on at the minute with pre owned games for a fiver, but if you look through the offers hardly any of them are in stock, especially the PS3 games where only 2 out of the 16 games on offer are actually in stock.

I was one of the many people who wanted to pre order MGS HD and i couldnt believe it when they didnt even list it on their website, considering they are the only specialized game shop left.
  5. Rorifett

Rorifett Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,092
    It's just part of the boom bust cycle of the capitalist regime
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Lurking Lawyer

Lurking Lawyer Active Member

Ratings:
    +929
    I think that's the nub of it, isn't it? Other than taking advantage of trading a couple of the offer to trade GoW3 plus £5 for Batman, and then Batman plus £5 for Skyrim, I haven't bought anything from Game in years. They're just not competitive compared as a rule. Still, it's better than having no games store on the high street....

I suppose we have to either support them and buy stuff or accept that they (and HMV) are going to disappear, sooner or later.
  7. brumhee

brumhee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,107
    You grasp on economics astounds me :facepalm:

There's more to this than boom and bust and it doesn't just affect Game.

With companies tied in to high rent rates, which they aren't always able to renegotiate until the find themselves on the brink of bankrupcty, changing consumer patterns, people being told they have no money, online and supermarket competition underselling, these shops will find it hard to trade. I think we may see ourselves going back to an indy games shop in each town and city with no big chains.

I well expect Game/HMV and other similar stores to collapse by the end of this year.:thumbsdow
  8. Guns_LotsOfGuns

Ratings:
    +2,399
    A new challenger appears!

New and Used Xbox 360 Games, PS3 Games & Wii Games | Grainger Games

In our shopping centre Grainger Games and GAME are across from each other and GAME have a white board outside saying they will match GG and you get GAME points :facepalm: reeks of desperation!

I didn't realise GG were such a big chain TBH 68 stores nationwide :eek: fairplay!, not so bothered about losing GAME as a high street retailer now lol.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  9. Lurking Lawyer

Ratings:
    +929
    Nor me! I'd seen the name a few times in the Bargains section but thought they were a small indie chain.

Still, not a lot of use to me, though - the nearest is 20-ish miles away. Any saving on buying there is offset by the petrol burned getting there and back :facepalm:

I wonder if GAME's woes will take Gamestation down with it? I know they're owned by the same holding company but I don't know whether it trades separately - and hence has its own credit terms.

I could live with that - my local town has a Gamestation and I do actually shop in there from time to time, albeit usually to trade stuff in rather than buy new.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2012
  10. Guns_LotsOfGuns

Ratings:
    +2,399
    I wouldn't be surprised, its probably half the problem. They are essentially operating 3 stores here in Notts all minutes from each other, that's three lots of rent; staff etc, surely it would make sense to re brand under one name and down size to one decent sized store per city rather than 3 small ones?

Plus when I go in Gamestation its a carbon copy of GAME now anyway with the same offers and stock issues.
  11. Bamford38

Bamford38 Member

Ratings:
    +224
    Grainger Games is actually really good. I went in one near me recently and picked up probably about 10 games and didnt pay more than £6 for any of them.

Also the staff were great and we had a good old chat about some games that are coming out soon. Which is a lot more than you can say for the staff of GAME, they either dont have a clue what games are out or are coming out, or they simply dont care.
    I wouldnt be surprised if most of them didnt even like games!
  12. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,212
    I wish GAME did that. All that consumer psychology, brand association malarky all works. How many people now shop at Iceland because of Stacy Soloman :rotfl:

Get some hot girl gamers working at GAME and people will be queuing up. :rolleyes: :laugh:
  13. Bamford38

Bamford38 Member

Ratings:
    +224
    Do these exist?? :eek:

I thought they were only an urban myth
  14. King Tones

King Tones Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,125
    Its the same in any town or city really.
    Swindon has 3 Games and a Gamestation all within 3 minutes of each other.

Why we need 4 of the same stores I have no idea, only use them if its a good trade in deal like the new release for a Fiver thing or when they do good deals on a new game like Skyrim for £20 a few weeks after release.
  15. Rorifett

Rorifett Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,092
    Really, please, enlighten us with some words of wisdom...

BOOM

BUST

BOOM

BUST

BOOM

BUST

*EDIT*

Sorry Guns, the 'irk' button was firmly pushed ;)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  16. Guns_LotsOfGuns

Ratings:
    +2,399
    [MOD COMMENT]

No need to get so worked up about it fellas economics isn't that interesting, lets keep it civil please!

[\MOD COMMENT]
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  17. DJSigma

DJSigma New Member

Ratings:
    +1,910
    It's a shame to see people losing their jobs (potentially at least), but I've never really rated GAME. Most of the experiences I've had with them were frustrating ones, usually involving trying to convince their staff that a particular "nationwide" deal is supposed to apply to the store they're working in, lol. I was also a bit annoyed when they got exclusive rights on something I'd pre-ordered elsewhere at a lower price (before the other shop found out that GAME had snapped up the rights). I don't find them that competitive on price, so I rarely have any reason to use them.

I didn't have much luck with Grainger Games when I tried them either. I ordered Homefront and they didn't send it. It took them a while to respond to my emails too, although once they did it was sorted out quickly. Mind you, the way Homefront turned out I think they probably did me a favour.
  18. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,212
    The only reason I'd shop at game is:

1. Trade in a game.
    2. Demo a product.

Otherwise internet shopping is more convenient and cheaper.

I think that there are 3 GAME stores in the Trafford Centre. The main one was busy when I went a few weeks ago, the other ones are just a waste and not needed.
  19. VivaFathom

VivaFathom Member

Ratings:
    +84
    Theres a grainger Games in derby literally two or three stores down from Game, i could probably fit them both into the same photograph. Then theres CEX, HMV and Gamestation all within 2 minutes walk.

One of them needs to fold so the others can survive.
  20. Beximus

Beximus Member

Ratings:
    +237
    Better spend my christmas Game vouchers soon then.

We've got a Gamestation as well, which I like. I still use Game a fair bit actually. so it would be a shame to see them go under, especially if they just give a year or so of shoddy service and disappear.
  21. jason g

jason g Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,271
    [​IMG]

:laugh:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  22. Bamford38

Bamford38 Member

Ratings:
    +224
    I think ive just found a new screensaver :smashin:
  23. mattclarkie

mattclarkie Member

Ratings:
    +937
    That explains the £14 of cashback I have on Top Cashback that was meant to be paid in November but is still confirmed :mad:
  24. DJSigma

DJSigma New Member

Ratings:
    +1,910
    From EA via Eurogamer: -

EA concerned at financial health of "major European retail partner" • News • Eurogamer.net

And another one: -

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...lenders-have-begun-hints-at-overseas-sell-off
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  25. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,212
    Doesn't look good for Game at all. It's hard times for everyone, I can't see why Game in particular are going under when it should apply to Grainger, Bee, Gamestation and every high street gaming outlet.
  26. BenchyUK

BenchyUK Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,221
    GAME has such a hold on the UK Market that you can tell that in an attempt to not go under, they will indeed sell off they're overseas stores. I would feel very sorry for the people who loose their jobs, but i wouldn't be upset if GAME goes under here.

My local store hasn't had any new titles in Ages. Never even got the Sly Copper HD collection on PS3. Poor excuse of a company
  27. TheFantabulator

TheFantabulator Member

Ratings:
    +11
    We don't know what Game's balance sheet looks like. They could be living on an overdraft. If their sales are down, then investors may be demanding a "restructure" i.e. closing/selling unprofitable stores. They seem to have spread themselves very thinly by having multiple stores in the same town. The per week rents on some units will be astronomical - think of what one store would need to sell just to break even.
  28. Lurking Lawyer

Ratings:
    +929
    1. I think that's a fair assumption, given the comments quoted above about discussions with their bankers. A usual indication that they're either in breach of their banking covenants, or are heading towards breach.

2. Quite so. Someone pointed it out above - and I assume at least part of it must stem from the merger and acquisitions of other shops, whose leases they can't get out of. It's madness though - in the shopping centre near where I work, there are two GAME outlets, one directly above the other on different floors :facepalm: Plus they have a Gamestation a few minutes walk down the road, outside the centre.

It's not tenable in the long term - but I assume that they must have worked out that it would cost them more to try to get out of the leases early.
  29. Simon Coates

Simon Coates Guest

Ratings:
    +0
  30. pixelpixel

pixelpixel Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,777
    Did yo ever see this: How an Unknown Games Retailer Committed Suicide at a Gaming Awards Event | Gizmodo UK

If Game do go then thats the last store that I can pick up a game with. My local Tesco and Asda have a very small collection. Last week Game Stop closed also.

I have noticed how empty my local game store looks :confused: