1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G20 Firmware 2.703 - Possible Problem

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by JonUK, Mar 5, 2011.

1. JonUK

JonUK Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Updates are done via both services & also by the network connection, if connected.

The v2.703 update was a freeview only update but for some reason, even with a very good signal strength & quality, the installation of the firmware was corrupted.

JonUK
  2. Bumbler

Bumbler Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I've just got back from holiday, and found out about the 2.705 update.
    Panasonic CS told me last month that there was going to be an imminent update.
    Well, I downloaded it onto an SD card and hey presto, I can now see my network drive, and the Freeview EPG shows more than just now and next.
    I've also disabled the OTA auto-update, as I don't want the firmware corrupting again in the future.
    Crossed fingers, I hope the TV is now working again as it should.
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  3. robjs

robjs Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just when we thought it was fixed, it restarted itself twice over the weekend :thumbsdow. I guess it's back to Richer Sounds who will surely replace it - what else could they do??
  4. Tromchap

Tromchap Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Rob, have you tried update 2.705?

It can be found here and downloaded for an SD card update, safer than OTA.
    Panasonic Self Service Module

Might cure your problems?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  5. robjs

robjs Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I think I'll give it a go. I was a bit nervous about affecting my warranty doing things myself but as it's on the official Panny website it must be OK.

It doesn't mention the switching off issue but I do get the iPlayer drop out so worth a go.
  6. robjs

robjs Member

Ratings:
    +0
    2.705 update done - nice and easy. Let's see how we go with that...
  7. blacksprite

blacksprite Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I have been watching developments with the 2.705 with some interest. Somewhere way back in this thread, I was also having issues with switching on and off, epg, iplayer etc etc. Panasonic replaced my A board and it seemed to sort it but issues all came back about 2 weeks later. I then got a refund from Panasonic and replaced my G20 with a VT20 (I wanted to stay with Panasonic due to peripheral compatibility). This set is great, and everything works well with the exception of VieraCast which says I need to update the software before I can access - I think same applies with networking.
    The TV is currently on a really old software version (2.1XX I think), but as I say has had no issues. I guess I may be missing out on some picture quality enhancements from the later updates as well as the VieraCast so I am keen to update, but I don't want to go back to a problem TV!! I wrote to Panasonic with a question about rolling back software and several other related questions, but they never replied - guess in doing so they may have admitted some liability in the software updates. They did however, after several months, call me out of the blue and advise me of the 2.705 update and told me I shouldn't have any problems but to call back if I did - didn't fill me with confidence!
    I had read on another forum that someone had a "strobing" issue since updating to 2.705 when the picture went from a dark to a bright scene, but I have not heard of any other issues, and this appears to be a one off.

Anybody else had any issues at all with 2.705??
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  8. robjs

robjs Member

Ratings:
    +0
    @blacksprite - It's too early for me to comment on the software (although already noticed I don't get 'invalid channel' when I first switch it on each morning which is a good start!).

If you're missing out on features like VieraCast I'd update - after all, if it breaks then it's up to Panasonic to sort it out.
  9. JonUK

JonUK Member

Ratings:
    +24
    A firmware update is available via VieraCast which also upgrades the set to Viera Connect.:D

I hope this is the cure all and does not start any other problems.

JonUK
  10. Bumbler

Bumbler Member

Ratings:
    +1
    From my experience, the problems were with corrupted over the air updates of 2.703, and not software updates downloaded and installed via an SD card.
    The update to 2.705 cured the problems I had, and I am now happy.
    One thing to note. If you upgrade the software, you can't go back.
    The TV won't let you load an older version of software than the one already installed.
  11. JonUK

JonUK Member

Ratings:
    +24
    This is what I found when I had updated to OTA only v2.703
    My dealer had to change the A-Board to cure it. I told him that I never had the problem when I had updated the firmware via SD card but he insisted that I updated via OTA in future. I thought, yeah OK...

JonUK
  12. robjs

robjs Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just as I'm happy to have updated, they bring out 2.710! As this is a 'forced' update in that I can't use VieraCast until I download it, I'm just going to do it.
  13. Supersonic

Supersonic Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Before I start Googling, anybody know what 2.710 does? I went to look at Youtube on VieraCast and was forced to apply this update (just like robjs above)
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  14. robjs

robjs Member

Ratings:
    +0
    @Supersonic - Looks to me like not a lot. It's changed to Viera Connect which looks exactly the same as Viera Cast but with the addition of some pointless looking apps. I assume it's a forced update as Panasonic make money out of the apps, games etc. that Connect offers.

One thing I did notice was that whenever I launched Viera Cast in the past it would cut out the home cinema sound but this update seems to have fixed that.

Panasonic need to update their website as it still says "Currently there is no plan to update sets that have the Viera Cast service, to the Viera Connect service. Both Services are planned to continue."
  15. blacksprite

blacksprite Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I thought that one of the advantages on VieraConnect over VieraCast was the ability to access BBC Iplayer without the satellite signal. Can anybody who has been brave enough to update confirm this?
    Does anybody know if this update applies to the blu-ray players with VieraCast?
  16. robjs

robjs Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No iplayer on mine, unless it's well hidden.
  17. blacksprite

blacksprite Member

Ratings:
    +0
  18. leeroysilk

leeroysilk Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Have last yrs G20, updated to current firmware release, no iplayer. Not that arsed as I normally view iplayer through my Ps3 anyway.

Lee
  19. doobds

doobds Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I also have the 2.710 update, soon after 2.705 !

This is email reply I received from Panasonic on 30.8.11

Thank you for your e-mail enquiry.

In response, unfortunately the Viera television models with Viera Cast will not be able to access the Viera Connect service. However, Panasonic will continue to support the Viera Cast service and will also seek to offer updates for it.

We trust that the above information will be of assistance to you. However, of course, if you should have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on 0844 844 3852 or email us using the following email address:

customer.care@panasonic.co.uk

Nice of them to be so on the ball!
  20. Streethawk

Streethawk Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Well, like, HEY!
    Sounds like progress on the firmware front... Odd for there not to have been an OTA roll-out, but maybe not so odd as when I rang Panny they denied that anyone else was experiencing any issues (despite my quoting forums...)

When the news came (here) that we'd need the A-board replacing we finally decided that we'd leave it be.
    It had stopped switching off, the "invalid channel" isn't that annoying anymore & we can live without EPG (solution: look it up on TVGuide and program it!!). This was mainly because we didn't want to risk picking up any buzzing from the case being put back together poorly (as per some other threads) and if it had been replaced we risked getting a poorer screen if they decided to replace the set (I posted back in Dec/Jan regarding a side-by side test we performed of two G20s - one was significantly less black)

I'll give it a month or so and wait to see whether anyone comes back here with further feedback!!!
  21. Streethawk

Streethawk Member

Ratings:
    +5
  22. Streethawk

Streethawk Member

Ratings:
    +5
    So no more feedback - is no news good news? is everyone happy with their upgrades?
  23. robjs

robjs Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Good as gold for me. No problems.
  24. Tromchap

Tromchap Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Same with me, all good here............touch wood!
  25. JonUK

JonUK Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Since the A-board change I've had no problems and the update to v2.710 hasn't produced any anomalies so far as I can see.

JonUK
  26. ZakD

ZakD Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Help!

Just had exactly the same problem on my Panny P50G20B. Same story: bought TV in July 2010, not had any problems, love the TV, fantastic picture.

Suddenly just now, 18 months later, it switched itself off and won't come back on. It tries to start, blinks, then turns back off.

From this thread here there is one post explaning the potential problem:
    "As the back-lights get older, the power needed to turn them on goes up slightly. However, the control system sees this as a fault and then turns them off again."

Which kinda makes sense.

I've got auto-updates turned on, and have firmware 2.710.
    I've got a 2yr warranty, so maybe covered. Not tried the full reset yet. Will I need the A-Board replacing?

For info, I also have the Western Digital 1TB USB HDD

Appreciate any advice
  27. slc79

slc79 Member

Ratings:
    +160
    Does not make a lot of sense, because the G20 has no backlights. The plasma cells provide their own light.
  28. dogrelata

dogrelata Member

Ratings:
    +2
    The problem disappeared on my set, along with various associated issues, when I turned auto updates off. It might be worth giving that a try first.
  29. ZakD

ZakD Member

Ratings:
    +8
    @scl79 - Good point

@dogrelata - I've just done a full reset, and the TV is now back (hurray!) not sure for how long though. I'm switching auto updates off! I'll let you know how it goes
  30. ZakD

ZakD Member

Ratings:
    +8
    grrr it lasted 17mins and then switched itself off/on again ...:mad: