G20 Firmware 2.703 - Possible Problem

Early this morning after the 03:10 update my set had the 2 blank adverts and no RT symbol. Then after another update at 09:10 the RT symbol returned.

Just a thought but does anyone with a G20B have any adverts showing in their Freeview EPG.

JonUK

Just checked my G20 and all I have in the 2 boxes on the left is "Viera". There used to be a radio times advert and probably something else, never really noticed how log it has been like this.

I don't suffer any issues though since upgrading to the latest firmware.

Lee :)

Just a thought but does anyone with a G20B have any adverts showing in their Freeview EPG.

JonUK

I don’t recall ever having adverts appearing in the Freeview EPG, even before V2.703.

There has been some progress to report in the re-booting saga though.

On Saturday night I wanted to watch the Champions League final so decided to disable the HDD again. This time I chose not to power it down but went for the “Safely remove USB” option instead. Freeview ran with no problems for 3 hours followed by 30 minutes with the HDD reconnected, albeit watching a movie on the Humax box.

Encouraged by this I decided to try Freeview again last night with the HDD connected and it ran for 90 minutes without a problem. Today I’ve been watching the tennis on Freeview for over 2 hours with the HDD connected and it has once again been trouble free.

The experience of others tells us that this problem can go away for a while before returning, so it’s difficult to get too excited about this turn of events, but it will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

This fault must only occur on certain TV's as I have the G20 with the latest firmware and to date haven't suffered any ill affects from having the latest firmware. Can watch TV for hrs without it powering down or re-booting.

This fault must only occur on certain TV's as I have the G20 with the latest firmware and to date haven't suffered any ill affects from having the latest firmware. Can watch TV for hrs without it powering down or re-booting.

I don’t think there’s any doubt about that and it also appears the fault manifests itself in different ways on different sets and configurations.

There’s also a suggestion that those having problems are in a fairly small minority as I can’t find much discussion on the internet beyond this forum, and only a few have reported problems on here. All of which probably means there’s very little incentive for Panasonic to address the issue...:confused:

UPDATE

I had a look at the guide this morning & low & behold it's now back to 1 advert box with missing data in the guideplus settings, even though there is a postcode in the guideplus setup.:mad:

This v2.703 update is causing major problems for certain users & I hope I don't start getting the EPG returning to NOW & NEXT like blacksprite above.
It seems like a programming error has found its way into the v2.703 firmware going by blacksprites' post. We need to get Panasonic to correct this if this is the case, otherwise if mine goes like it again I will request a GT30 as a replacement if Panasonic say I need a replacement, as I to bought the G20 because I wanted freesat. I do not require or particularly want 3D, that's best left to the cinema.

UPDATE 10:50

Just had a look at the guide again as the adverts were supposed to be downloaded by 09:10.
I now have the same infomation as in post #71 above. What the hell is going on?:confused:

JonUK

Hi jonUK, thanks for the pictures. The last one's you posted are the same as mine, I can't remember it being any different. I haven’t had any of the other issues you mentioned, I don’t use a hard drive with it, but I do have Freesat and internet connected. And I have the post code in the guideplus settings.

Hi jonUK, thanks for the pictures. The last one's you posted are the same as mine, I can't remember it being any different. I haven't had any of the other issues you mentioned, I don't use a hard drive with it, but I do have Freesat and internet connected. And I have the post code in the guideplus settings.

You mentioned that you have Freesat & the LAN connected....Do you have Freeview connected?

JonUK

Last edited:
Yes mate, I do have freeview connected.

Seems strange that you don't have data on the guideplus info page then.

JonUK

Seems strange that you don't have data on the guideplus info page then.

JonUK

Yeah, I also tried deleting the post code and putting it back in again. But all I get is the same as your last picture you posted.

Early this morning after the 03:10 update...

JonUK

The 3:10 update is kind of interesting.

Every time I turn the TV off the HDD goes into ‘sleep’ mode about 2 minutes later, i.e. the green power light goes off. So every night before I go to bed the HDD is in sleep mode but every morning when I go back downstairs, the green light is flashing. A few weeks ago, after a late night, I got in about 3:30 and noticed the green light flashing, so something in the early hours of the morning is causing the HDD to activate in some way. I usually turn the TV on in the morning for a few minutes to catch the news, etc and turning it off puts the HDD to sleep again. I can’t remember any instances of the HDD green light coming on during the day when the TV’s been switched off.

Because I’ve come to associate the problems I’ve been having with the HDD, I’ve started to focus on it more. On thing I’ve started to notice is that if I start the TV from standby when the HDD is in sleep mode, the TV makes a double clicking sound after I press the start button on the remote but it starts without any clicks if the HDD is already active, i.e. the green power light is flashing, as in first thing in the morning.

On top of that, every time the TV has re-booted itself, it has been accompanied by the same double click it makes when coming out of standby when the HDD is in sleep mode. In addition to this, on the only occasion I had re-booting issues whilst watching a recording on the HDD, the picture froze for 3 to 4 seconds before each re-boot took place, a total of 3 times during the session. I didn’t notice if the green power light on the HDD went off during these 3 or 4 second periods, so can’t be if sure the HDD switched itself off and then on again and somehow caused the TV to re-boot.

I’m not able to test this at the moment because the TV is continuing to behave itself, at least for the moment.

Every time I turn the TV off the HDD goes into ‘sleep’ mode about 2 minutes later, i.e. the green power light goes off. So every night before I go to bed the HDD is in sleep mode but every morning when I go back downstairs, the green light is flashing. A few weeks ago, after a late night, I got in about 3:30 and noticed the green light flashing, so something in the early hours of the morning is causing the HDD to activate in some way. I usually turn the TV on in the morning for a few minutes to catch the news, etc and turning it off puts the HDD to sleep again. I can’t remember any instances of the HDD green light coming on during the day when the TV’s been switched off.

Try to disable the auto-update setting.
(the one that wakes your set up to check if a FW update is available)

Every time I turn the TV off the HDD goes into ‘sleep' mode about 2 minutes later, i.e. the green power light goes off. So every night before I go to bed the HDD is in sleep mode but every morning when I go back downstairs, the green light is flashing. A few weeks ago, after a late night, I got in about 3:30 and noticed the green light flashing, so something in the early hours of the morning is causing the HDD to activate in some way. I usually turn the TV on in the morning for a few minutes to catch the news, etc and turning it off puts the HDD to sleep again. I can't remember any instances of the HDD green light coming on during the day when the TV's been switched off.

Because I've come to associate the problems I've been having with the HDD, I've started to focus on it more. On thing I've started to notice is that if I start the TV from standby when the HDD is in sleep mode, the TV makes a double clicking sound after I press the start button on the remote but it starts without any clicks if the HDD is already active, i.e. the green power light is flashing, as in first thing in the morning.

On top of that, every time the TV has re-booted itself, it has been accompanied by the same double click it makes when coming out of standby when the HDD is in sleep mode.

Yes, I have noticed all of this since v2.703 got installed. I had my HDD before this update & it did not do this on the other firmware versions, it just stayed in sleep mode until the TV was turned on.

When the TV checks for ads & updates the HDD powers up. After it has finished the HDD should go back into sleep mode, which is what it did on the other firmwares.

JonUK

Last edited:
Try to disable the auto-update setting.
(the one that wakes your set up to check if a FW update is available)

Cheers Orso.

When I checked this morning, the HDD was in sleep mode. I notice that another couple of small, niggly issues that have arisen since downloading V2.703 have also disappeared.

I had the same issue with switching off and on with a variety of sources. Did the full reboot and it was fine for a few days, but started again.

I called John Lewis, Panasonic and eventually a local shop was to come take the telly away. Meantime I started switching the tv off at the side switch at night and ever since the tv has worked perfectly. I cancelled the repair visit.

That was 3 weeks ago ... if the fault recurs I'll post back.

UPDATE

So far so good.
I've had no rebooting since the A-board change & the EPG stays fully populated (must have been corrupted firmware). I have also disabled the firmware update check which has stopped the HDD staying on when the 03:10 check was carried out, it stays in sleep mode.

Still haven't seen an advert in the EPG since 4-5 weeks ago.

JonUK

Last edited:
UPDATE

Still haven't seen an advert in the EPG since 4-5 weeks ago.

JonUK

I've had my set for the best part of 6 months and adverts appeared in the Freeview EPG for the first time ever last night.

Nothing else to report - the set continues to be re-boot free after the changes made two weeks ago.

I've had my set for the best part of 6 months and adverts appeared in the Freeview EPG for the first time ever last night.

Nothing else to report - the set continues to be re-boot free after the changes made two weeks ago.

Was away yesterday until this morning, switched the TV onto freeview and also noticed that I to now have adverts.

JonUK

Cheers for the warning Jon - I came a-seaching again when I saw the update offer, wondering whether they had finally fixed the EPG issues that came with 702

seems not.

I repeat - has anyone else considered a class action?

Hi, one of my Sisters got a 50G20 few months back, shes on cable & no Aerial on roof etc. So no way for over the air FW updates. Few weeks back, checked out FW updates on Panny site for download, latest was 2.702 (never seen 2.703, think it said for 2.702 update for iPlayer ie not for mll drop ? in time probs). So i loaded on a SD card & gave card to her, when she came over few weeks back,, she still hasn't done it. However latest on Panny site is now 2.505 weird ?
Don't know what to tell her to do, think she can do catch up with her Virgin box anyway, so if thats missing no loss + she won't connect TV to internet anyway.

Cheers BOB

Hi, one of my Sisters got a 50G20 few months back, shes on cable & no Aerial on roof etc. So no way for over the air FW updates. Few weeks back, checked out FW updates on Panny site for download, latest was 2.702 (never seen 2.703, think it said for 2.702 update for iPlayer ie not for mll drop ? in time probs). So i loaded on a SD card & gave card to her, when she came over few weeks back,, she still hasn't done it. However latest on Panny site is now 2.505 weird ?
Don't know what to tell her to do.

Cheers BOB

Bob
v2.703 is only available OTA. v2.702 is the latest downloadable version HERE.

JonUK

Hi, thanks JonUK, at least you made me think :)
Tried link i had bookmarked, then click on region. Been quick checks, with by the looks, my brain turned off. Been clicking on Europe (2.505 for there) rather that UK & Ireland :laugh: . Getting same as your link now 2.702 . She'll get around doing it at sometime :)

Cheers BOB

I have exactly the same problem as jonuk, since firmware 2.703. My G20 was switching on and off for about a week but stopped and has not switched itself off for a month or so which is good.
Have lost EPG and only get now and next which i have to wait for when i enter the EPG as its blank. All was fine untill 2.703 i had adverts in the EPG which i didnt want but i also had a fully fuctioning EPG. I have tried everything postcode, reset. I think we need a 2.704 so that if its a corrupt firmware issue then it will be overwritten. It would be nice to be able to go back to 2.702 and see if that works but the TV wont allow you to load an older firmware.

Firmware is being broadcast 6th July - 8th july 2011 OTA

check http://www.firmware.org.uk/Panasonic/G20B.html

If you already have 2.703 i wouldnt think it will overwrite it.

2.702 was 23.5mb A lot of information to recieve over an aerial in my loft.

Last edited:
I have exactly the same problem as jonuk, since firmware 2.703. My G20 was switching on and off for about a week but stopped and has not switched itself off for a month or so which is good.
Have lost EPG and only get now and next which i have to wait for when i enter the EPG as its blank. All was fine untill 2.703 i had adverts in the EPG which i didnt want but i also had a fully fuctioning EPG. I have tried everything postcode, reset. I think we need a 2.704 so that if its a corrupt firmware issue then it will be overwritten. It would be nice to be able to go back to 2.702 and see if that works but the TV wont allow you to load an older firmware.

You will need to contact your dealer who will need to replace the A-board. Your set has developed the same symptoms as mine, corrupted firmware due to a faulty OTA download. The only cure is a replacement A-board. Mine got so badly corrupted that it wouldn't even do a self check.

JonUK

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom