Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuji Finepix S8200 any good?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mossmanfly, Jul 15, 2013.

1. mossmanfly

mossmanfly Member

Ratings:
    +33
    My girlfriend is after a new camera, basically shes got a compact which shes had for 3 or 4 years and she wants to upgrade. Shes interested in bridge cameras because a) she doesnt want to spend loads and carry different lens for a DSLR b) she wants good level of zoom c) be able to take decent night shots.

Shes mainly going to use it on holidays, so thats why she wants good zoom to be able to take pictures of scenery, buildings etc, same with night pictures, because with her compact camera night shots arent anything to shout about.

So my question is the S8200 any good? Specs

Looking online we can get it for about £180, thats her limit as she would need to get memory card, carry case etc.

I came across one thread that said that compact cameras can be equally as good as a bridge camera is that true? My main thought is that the bigger the lens and sensor the more light is let in, so in theory better night pictures? Also its rated at 12800 ISO from my little knowledge that again is down to how much light is let in or something similar. So is higher ISO better as ive seen some compacts at 1600 or 3200.

As the S8200 has 40x optical zoom and she wont ever use a tripod, is this a waste, can you use 40x optical zoom by hand?

In all honesty shes not going to be messing around with settings etc, it will probably be left in Auto mode 99.9% of the time, she just wants good zoom, and decent night shots.

Ive tried searching online for professional reviews but have yet to find any.

Any advice will be much appreciated, im not an expert on cameras as you can tell.