1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview PVR with Ethernet Streaming

Discussion in 'PVRs' started by ldoodle, Aug 16, 2006.

1. ldoodle

ldoodle Active Member

Ratings:
    +571
    Hi there,

Is there a Freeview PVR available that will stream it's Live TV/recordings over an ethernet network?

I'm wiring my home with Cat5e and this is something that I would love to be able to do!

Thanks/...
  2. nwhitfield

nwhitfield Member

Ratings:
    +261
    Nope; while you can adapt a Topfield to work via a network, even then it's not really suitable for streaming. Although with the USB working in turbo mode you can watch something on the hard drive via your laptop, for example, to run the port at that speed uses up so much of the CPU that the box won't respond to the remote or start up scheduled recordings.

What you could do instead is use a scheduled task to copy new recordings to the network in the middle of the day or overnight, when the PVR's not likely to be recording, and then make them available over the LAN using VLC.

Nigel.
  3. progosaurus

progosaurus Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep. But not in a box from a shop. MythTv does what you want, and more. You need a PC with a DVB card (or cards, for multiple channel recording), an ethernet port, and the MythTv application - running on linux.

Mythtv is an application. Knoppmyth is a linux installation that already includes Mythtv.

On the downside, it can be a real pain to set up!
  4. Kevo

Kevo Active Member

Ratings:
    +116
    Or you could try a SLINGBOX.

Not a PVR but does come with built in Freeview tuner. But you can use it to control and stream anything (i.e. as Sky+ or PVR)

Uses ethernet and you can also access it over the interent (providing BB upload speed is fast enough)
  5. ratus

ratus Member

Ratings:
    +0
  6. di_sound

di_sound Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Dreambox downstairs and stream the audio and video signal over my CAT5 based IP network. Watching it upstairs in my workroom on my SuSe Linux box. Apparently, clients are also available for Windows machines.

I can also control the Dreambox (e,g, change channels) using my web browser.

Next stage is to see if I can watch the video over the Internet from outside my home network - just like a Slingbox.
  7. ADENCOOL

ADENCOOL Member

Ratings:
    +2
  8. marcdavis

marcdavis Member

Ratings:
    +103
    It might be cheaper and at the same time give you more flexibility to, while you are doing the cat5 wiring, inlcude an aerial cable to the client. A cheap Freeview card or USB will allow you to watch/record live digital channels and give you more control. The next twin tuner freeview PVR from Humax will have ethernet. But that is not likely to be out soon. Probably mid next year
  9. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley Member

Ratings:
    +185
    Pay careful attention to what's claimed: it can play streamed content, no mention of sourcing streams. No mention of twin tuners either and an 80gb disc seems miserly - especially for HD material (should it ever get transmitted).

You're paying a lot of money for HDMI and HD network playback. Don't fall for the 'infinitely upgradeable' spiel, Netgem are incredibly slow at releasing upgrades - 2x a year, a feature release (usually very broken) followed 3 months later by a bug fix release. It might eventually stream to a network but don't buy one assuming that, wait till its actually done.

To be fair the iPlayer eventually turned into a good Freeview box but it took a couple of years (and BT paying to have the software finished for their version). The gimmicky stuff like Internet access has never worked reliably and probably never will.
  10. flemmo2

flemmo2 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I'm after a media streaming solution for my college that will offer:

- Simultaneous recordings (up to 6)
    - Scheduled recordings (as many a poss)
    - Flash encoding/streaming
    - Can be streamed on demand from anywhere on the network
    - Archive existing content e.g. VHS/DVD to streaming server
    - Set chapters or markers in a recording e.g. "Romeo and Juliet Balcony Scene".

I've found this solution Planet eStream - The complete Video Streaming and Archiving IPTV solution for Education. but it is quite pricey. Does anyone know of a similar product?
  11. Cyril

Cyril Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Of course there is also Windows Media Centre 2005/Windows Vista Media Center built into Home Premium and Ultimate, and also Windows 7 which have full suport for Freeview PVR functions and streaming via ethernet to xbox 360s or Windows media Centre clients.
    I think they are limited to only 3 live streaming clients and 4 simultaneous recordings, but I'm sure a hack is available or one will be made soon.
    Windows 7 and Windows Vista TV pack also support Freesat as well now.

So I guess that's the only ready-made solution you can go out and buy from a shop in the UK now unless you go for a pricey IPTV commercial solution like ONELAN, but those won't have great EPG support unless you pay extra for it.

Looks like the Planet estream has a reasonable EPG at 2 weeks data compared to the 4 weeks in TiVo/Windows MCE/Vista Home Premium/Ultimate/Windows 7.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  12. sibboinwales

sibboinwales Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone,

This thread started with the following question:

"Is there a Freeview PVR available that will stream it's Live TV/recordings over an ethernet network?

I'm wiring my home with Cat5e and this is something that I would love to be able to do!"

I have wired my home with Cat5e and have a CRT in the lounge (where the Humax would be), a DLNA Sony HD TV in the bedroom and a main server / switch in the cellar. I'd like to be able to watch what's on the PVR in the bedroom.

I've read through the details of the latest Humax PVR - HDR-FOX T2 - which has a ethernet connection but I'm not 100% sure if I could either directly connect the Humax via my network to the Sony HD or, even better, if I can connect the Humax to my general network and allow me to connect from any PC...

Am I making this too complicated and this is dead easy or is it more complicated?!

Thanks for any advice.
  13. Latts

Latts Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have two 3view pvr's on my network which are able to stream recordings from each other, however the company has disappeared and I’m looking for alternatives with the same spec’s just in case one fails.