1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview channels have disappeared

Discussion in 'Freeview' started by chrisfidler, Nov 27, 2007.

1. chrisfidler

chrisfidler Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Help!
    A large chunk of my Freeview channels have gone AWOL. All the ITV channels, Channel 4 channels, UKTV History and a few more. Have tried installing again but they just don't appear.
    I don't have a digital aerial but the switch over hasn't begun yet has it?
  2. fernandez

fernandez Member

Ratings:
    +1,039
    There's actually no such thing as a 'Digital aerial' and switch over dates have little to do with your problem
    What type of aerial installation are you using?
    When did the channels disappear?
    Is it a separate box or is Freeview built in the TV?
    Have you/can you try a different receiver?

To see the type of aerial recommended for your postcode check here
    http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?
  3. JayCee

JayCee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,539
    On what, Freeview box or IDTV?
  4. chrisfidler

chrisfidler Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    It's a stand alone Freeview box. Not sure what aerial is as we moved house in Feb. But all I know is that all the channels were there until the weekend. Sometimes in the summer the signal strength would go right down on some channels, but not on others. But that seemed to sort itself out. Is it just me or is new technology a complete and utter con?
  5. JayCee

JayCee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,539
    The box may be faulty or the software corrupt...or an aerial/signal problem.
    When you stated "Have tried installing again" did you pick the "First Time Installation" setting with the Installation menu?
    That's the only option which will wipe its memory and reset it.
  6. chrisfidler

chrisfidler Guest

Ratings:
    +0

Yep, tried that, have found this advice on a freeview website which I'll give a go. Failing that will just wait till we switch to cable in Jan!

First take the aerial out of the back of the equipment and leave it unplugged.
    Now set your digital box or TV to rescan/retune all channels (you might need to refer to your manual). When complete, the equipment should show 'no channels found'
    Disconnect the equipment from the mains power supply and leave un-plugged for 10mins.
    Re-connect the aerial and the mains power supply and then switch the equipment back on.
    Now set your digital box or TV to rescan/retune all channels. This should find all channels available to you and then you're set to watch.