Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview and ITV4

Discussion in 'Freeview Forum' started by mike7, Nov 1, 2005.

1. mike7

mike7 Active Member

Ratings:
    +316
    Using a Panasonic freeview box on 4:3 tv in the bedroom I'm well used to some of the effects that are produced with channels with a '4' in the name. And, yes, my box is set for 4:3.

ITV4 which kicked off tonight excels itself in this department. The football match is displayed in 'stretched upwards mode' and the picture is displaced to the left by almost a third. Strangely the same match is being shown on 'Men and Motors' (real exclusive there ITV4 !) and it appears with a border all around the picture. M&M, as much as I ever watch it, is not a widescreen channel.

What is going on ?,
  2. Eurostar

Eurostar Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Crystal Palace, London.
    After re-scan ITV4 showed up on channel 801 ? Men & Motors has dissapeard and is showing ITV4 ? BBC News24 is still on channel 40, where are the xtra channels? None of the new BBC channels, 70, 71, 80, 85, 105 are showing up. I'm NOT the only one having problems, nearly ALL my friends are having update problems withe their freeview tuners. The digital TV is turning into a mess!
  3. mike7

mike7 Active Member

Ratings:
    +316
    On another thread there seems to be an opinion that M&M will dissappear in favour of ITV4.
  4. jedi-jae

jedi-jae Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Mike7

Sky currently does not have ITV4, so they broadcast the same feed to M&M so that Sky viewers could watch the football. So it was deliberate, also M&M is an ITV channel, so it wasn't about it being exclusive to ITV4, it was all about the availability of ITV4 on Sky.

The footy was broadcast in 16:9 but that included black borders at the sides!! I don't know if that was what affected your viewing? As I understand it all a 4:3 setting on a digibox does is crop to the middle of the picture, there is no separate 4:3 broadcast for it to receive.
  5. zico martin

zico martin Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Well I dont seem to be able to get ITV4 on my sky+ box ( newly installed today) but I do still get Men & Motors, do I need to manually add this new channel or what?? :)
  6. zico martin

zico martin Member

Ratings:
    +4