1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freesat VS Freeview

Discussion in 'Freesat' started by Mossy08, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Mossy08

Mossy08 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I'm currently deciding which one to get. Is there any benefits of freesat over freeview? I know you get a couple of hd channels but lose some also (for example sky3) I'm just unsure what to get as I can get a freesat Hd box for around 120 but for the around same money I can get freeview with hdmi upscale and recording for around the same.

Cheers
    Shane
  2. Starburst

Starburst Member

Ratings:
    +1,037
    Tough call:)

Long term Freeview will have HD and long term Freesat hardware will be more in line with Freeview prices. Assuming you don't have to pay any installation fee for either option it probably comes down to channel lineup, is HD now more important than PVR functions now so if you are on a budget and can not buy both or go for the Freesat HD PVR then Freeview SD could be cheap enough to replace in a year or so with a HD source, a full channel comparison will help:)
  3. Mossy08

Mossy08 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I have built in freeview on my tv but was considering going for the box with built in hard drive and hdmi upscaling so I could pause/record tv and get a better picture than now. The main channels I watch are 1-5, E4, bbc3 and dave really
  4. Starburst

Starburst Member

Ratings:
    +1,037
    Well first be aware there is no guarantee that an upscaling Freeview PVR will give you a better picture than the one already have, the TV scaler may be better than the one built into the PVR.

Those channels are as you know on Freeview so I think until there is more "free" HD on Dsat or DTT then for a hundred quid or so you can buy a decent Freeview PVR and in a year or so that outlay would not be too high to discard if HD then became important.
  5. larkim

larkim Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Go for the PVR - once you've had a decent PVR you'll wonder how on earth you managed without!

I've got a Freesat TV and a Freeview PVR. There's almost nothing on Freesat that I would want to record that isn't on Freeview, and if I can't record in HD I'm not going to lose any sleep over it any time soon!

Matt
  6. Broadz

Broadz Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,479
    Freesat - 200 TV and radio channels *including 3 HD channels.
    Freeview - 40 TV and radio channels - no HD channels.

Your choice....
  7. sneeks

sneeks Active Member

Ratings:
    +399
    I'm considering leaving Virgin Media and my V+ box in favour of a Freesat HD PVR box. Would you recommend this move or not? I currently only ever watch the standard terrestrial channels and E4, it's very rare for me to bother about Discovery channels etc.

My reason for swapping would be to reduce my monthly outgoings as I currently pay VM £65 per month for XL TV, 20mb BB and my phone line. If I was to switch to BT for my phoneline and o2 for BB I'd be paying under £30 for both.
  8. larkim

larkim Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Well, 200 TV channels, most without an EPG. 3 HD channels, only one of which (Luxe TV) shows a constant stream of programmes, ITV HD shows almost nothing. In that 200 TV channels, there are at least 10 which are just sex-chat adverts, probably 20-30 which are Indian / Pakistani / Bangladeshi / Arabic / Islamic (which may appeall, may not). Another 20-30 are shopping channels. There is no Fiver or Five USA, no Dave or Dave Ja Vu.

Its not all a numbers game. Freeview has the 15 or so worth watching channels and the lack of HD isn't a problem today.

But, if you go freeview PVR now you risk being out of date in about 12-18 months time as Freeview HD will need a different decoder (and therefore a different box). On the other hand, a Freeview PVR can be yours for less than £100, so if that was my budget then that's what I'd get now.

Matt
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,066
    I agree also note that many channels (notably ITV) offer a much better picture on the freeview platform (720 x 576 pixels Freeview, a blurry 544 x 576 on Sattelite.

Best reasons to get a freesat box

Can't get a decent freeview signal
    Have a freeview box with a decent signal but want to add HD (use both)
  10. unimpressed

unimpressed Member

Ratings:
    +0
    quote=grahamlthompson;8987802]I agree also note that many channels (notably ITV) offer a much better picture on the freeview platform (720 x 576 pixels Freeview, a blurry 544 x 576 on Sattelite.

Best reasons to get a freesat box

Can't get a decent freeview signal
    Have a freeview box with a decent signal but want to add HD (use both)[/quote]
    [/I]
    [/I]
    If you have a big screen TV then bear in mind that as the majority of programming is SD you will go blind watching the unbelievably soft pictures on freesat (SD).
    If you have a decent freeview or Virgin+ service then I would stick with that. There is no comparison on SD pictures. Only reason for going over to freesat is to get HD which is why I had a dish installed to feed my 50 inch Panasonic with built in freesat receiver. I will stick with V+ box for SD and BBC HD and use the Freesat for ITV HD. It's a disaster that Freesat has been organised the way it has where so many channels are being squeezed into a restricted space. Presumably we are now stuck with this for ever. Where is the encouragement for programme makers to produce high quality pictures.
    Many years ago in 405 line B/W TV horizontal and vertical resolution were the same. Bigger TV's meant it was necessary to move up to 625 lines but the horizontal resolution was reduced to fit a channel into 5MHz. Now we have really big TV's and the resolution is hammered even more. Hardly a line of progress is it.
    Wouldn't it be nice if all main channels were HD. Dream on for a few decades I think.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  11. sneeks

sneeks Active Member

Ratings:
    +399
    I think most posts here have convinced me to remain with my V+ box or alternatively buy a good Freeview PVR instead.
  12. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,066
    It's actually nothing to do with Freesat. Freesat is simply an electronic epg to some of the hundreds of free channels on Astra/Eurobird 1, they don't have any channels, they are the same as used by Sky or any other stb receiving the free stuff.

The problem arises from 2 facts.

One all the free stuff is forced onto 1 satellite Astra2D which has a narrow beam focussed on the UK. Broadcasters insist on this in a vain attempt to restrict viewing to UK license holders. Astra2D is a small satellite with a limited number of transponders

Two - Unlike a terrestrial transmitter all the regional variations for ITV BBC 1 and BBC 2 have to be accomodated on the same platform it's this that causes the poor quality of some SD transmissions

In respect of HD the situation is brighter, shifting BBC HD and ITV HD to DVB-S2 transponder will make room for more HD channels (S2 is a lot more efficient). The same solution would solve the SD bandwidth restrictions easily but only HD stb's have DVB-S2 tuners
  13. Caz41

Caz41 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I think it depends almost entirely on what you want to watch.

I have my Freeview PVR which I use a lot and I also have a Freesat PVR which is also used a lot. We all have Freeview now so it goes without saying why we all have that. However, I got my Freesat PVR because of the channels that I cannot get on Freeview and for the extra tuners once analogue is switched off in a few months time. I can fill my hard drive in a week quite easily from the channels I watch on Freesat and I also enjoy copying movies from the Freesat PVR onto DVD. I now have 4 tuners (not counting analogue) which allow me to watch and record most of what I want to see. The HD picture on Freesat is superb and has to be seen! I am very happy with my current set up and wouldn't like to be without either PVR :thumbsup:

The picture on Freesat is a bit soft through HDMI but is as good as Freeview through scart on my TV. Would I recommend a Freesat PVR to friends....definately :)
  14. charly_brown

charly_brown Member

Ratings:
    +0

Hi I just bought Humax freesat PVR to get the HD channels and to replace my hummy freeview PVR with the freesat PVR, can you tell me what " a bit soft " means as I have found that the picture through HDMI is not as good as through Freeview and I was thinking that I could use my Scart lead as well, if it makes a differance Using RGB via scart, reason I am asking is its a big job for me to rip it all out now to put in a scart lead in and is it going to worth the hassle.

Regards
    Charles
  15. Broadz

Broadz Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,479
    Are you asking whether you can use scart, or whether using scart instead of HDMI would make a difference?

Yes, of course you can use scart. Whether it will make a difference or not is down to how good the internal upscaler is in your TV compared to the upscaling capabilities of the Freesat box. You will still need to use HDMI when watching the high definition channels obviously - as scart cannot carry a high def signal.
  16. son_t

son_t Member

Ratings:
    +215
    I would try:

1. Calibrating your TV for the HDR (for both HD and SD channels).
    2. Use the V-Format button to choose the best mode for the best picture.
    3. Get (your eyes) used to the fact that the upscaled picture does not have nasty blocky, and other digital artifacts.

... first, to see if this helps... have a full read of this thread: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=973768
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  17. jamesy999

jamesy999 Member

Ratings:
    +16
    I had a Hitachi HDMI upscalling Freeview PVR. To be honest the Upscalling is next to useless. I get a better picture through my tv's built in Freeview but i suppose it depends on the quality of your tv's upscaller. The one reason for me getting Freesat was HD. Television in true HD is soooo much better. Upscalling just can't come anywhere near it. Not to mention the dolby surround you get with HD. My satellite reciever has an external hard drive with only one tuner, but as i have Freeview aswell i simply record on Freesat and switch to Freeview if i need to.

Personally i'd spend a little more (£160 for HD reciever with USB PVR in Maplin) and get Freesat HD and PVR. But if its a straight choice between PVR and HD then go for the PVR but don't expect much from HDMI upscalling.
  18. jamesy999

jamesy999 Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Try setting your resolution to 576i to see if you get a better picture. If you put it through a scart it means you'll have to plug the HDMi back in when you want to watch HD.
  19. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,066
    You can use both connections at the same time just use the TV input selector to switch between them. Some TV's (Samsungs amongst them ) won't accept 576i over hdmi.
  20. the white rabit

the white rabit Member

Ratings:
    +0
    at the moment I have freeview via ps3 and the little box called play tv (for an extra (58 quid) , this upscales all freeview channels to 1080 ( if your tv can take it or 720 if not ) and its very clear .
    Some of ,my friends have asked have i got sky hd and when i say no they cant belive it as its so clear.
    I know its not like BBC HD or any other HD channel but to be honest I have had virgin V+ and i got rid as they could never get the payment right and all i get is we will knock it off the next bill but they dont , was looking at sky and again you have to pay around £50.00 ish to watch some decent movies but if i want to watch a hd movie i can rent a film for a fraction of the cost that sky want .
    I had looked at freesat and to be honest it doesnt rock my boat as theres channels that i get on freeview but not freesat .
    I will wait a little longer to see what comes up ,i know theres a big drive for 2012 olympic games so theres a good chance that there will be better offerings on sale at maybe a good price too but until then i will stay with freeview via ps3 ( as this allows you to record one channel and watch another) plus its a media center where i can surf the web ,chat update and load music from ipod or even phone as it has bluetooth and wireless internet.

Andrew