1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freesat in Portugal

Discussion in 'Freesat' started by frediokl, Apr 13, 2011.

1. frediokl

frediokl Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone recommend a freesat recorder for use in southern Portugal?

I currently have a sky+ box and a 1m dish but no sky subscription so I cant record. I can receive most channels ok, loose a few at night such as itv2. But I dont have any problems with bbc1. The default bbc 1 is yorks and lincs, is that in the 2D beam? What is the best channel to check for freesat reception on a sky box?

Do any of the boxes work better than the others with lower signal strengths?

Can the boxes with iplayer work through a proxy server so I can get around the geo location? Iplayer works fine on my Wii through a proxy server :)

Sorry for lots of questions in one thread. Thanks in advance.
  2. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    Hi and welcome to the forum.
    Whatever you get on Sky you can get on a Freesat receiver or PVR.
    BBC1 Y & L - which is my actual channel! - IS on 2D so if that's what carries the Freesat EPG you should be OK to get that.
    Here are ALL of the small range of Freesat PVRs: Digital TV Recorder - HD Recorders - HD PVR - freesat.
    Again, if you can get the iplayers on your current device you should be able to get them on another.
  3. kevkbuk

kevkbuk Active Member

Ratings:
    +539
    The Freesat EPG is carried on Eurobird. You will need to check if you can receive channels transmitted from that sat, google for a listing.

IF your inputting your proxy details into your router or PC then using that as an access point then yes the receiver will work fine with iPlayer.

IF your inputting your proxy details directly into the Wii and expecting to do the same with a Freesat receiver I think your going to be dissapointed. I don't remember seeing the option for it on my Humax Freesat and would think this is a pretty niche feature.

Tuner sensitivity does vary between models and the Humax Foxsat HDR is considered one of the better ones for use abroad.
  4. frediokl

frediokl Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks logiciel.

To get iplayer to work on my wii i have to use a proxy server to get round the geo restrictions. To do the same on the freesat box it would have to be able to send all the iplayer traffic through a proxy server. Does anyone know if any of the boxes support this. On the wii its an option in the internet settings.
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC Active Member

Ratings:
    +393
    I think not - however the YouView spec includes proxy settings. A VPN will work with traffic routed via a PC.
  6. frediokl

frediokl Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thats exactly what i do on my wii. I could route via a pc. I have a vpn to watch itv player as a proxy does not work. But that sort of defeats what i want to do. Have everything on one box. I was hoping a freesat box would simplify things.

Just looked at the youview spec and it does say the box should be able to use a proxy configured by the user. So hopefully if its not there yet it might be added later.
  7. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    So what happens if that's not accessible - what effect does lack of EPG have on Freesat receivers?
  8. kevkbuk

kevkbuk Active Member

Ratings:
    +539
    On the Foxsat I would guess you'd be left with non freesat mode. Which means no series links, only now/next epg and manual recording only, much like an FTA receiver.
  9. cyberdude

cyberdude Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I use a Humax HD PVR in South Western Portugal with no problems. I think we have a 1.8m dish.
  10. kevkbuk

kevkbuk Active Member

Ratings:
    +539
    In which case you'd be better off finding a router which supported routing traffic through VPNs. Then every device connected to it would work fine.

I believe routers that can be flashed with DD-WRT allow this. Have a look here:

www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router.
  11. REPASSAC

REPASSAC Active Member

Ratings:
    +393
    You may find that it may need to be a second router - if for example your network connection is by logon based by mac address - be aware that if all traffic goes via the VPN then this will normally require you to use authentication with email and perhaps other ISP services as you are not seen as being on their network.
  12. poolside

poolside Guest

Ratings:
    +37
    I would recommend the Humax Foxsat PVR. Best for fringe reception. No problems in Tenerife for all freesat and non freesat viewing so should also be fine for you given an adequate dish/lnb/feed-horn.