Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freesat and Freeview together?

Discussion in 'Freeview Forum' started by Catwoman, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Catwoman

Catwoman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone please tell me if it is possible/easy to connect both Freesat from Sky and Freeview to one TV to get the best channel availability?
  2. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,250
    Welcome to the forum.

The implications and simplicity or otherwise, will depend on what TV you are intending to connect to and what kind of tuner it possesses.

Do you have that information .. and if not, can you supply the make and model number please.
  3. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,083
    If you have both a Freesat and a Freeview STB/PVR and a TV with 2 available HDMI/scart inputs then it is a simply matter of plugging both boxes into the TV and selecting the correct input to swap between each box.

Mark.
  4. Catwoman

Catwoman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your response. My TV is an Hitachi L26H01U which has 2 scart sockets.
  5. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,083
    Your TV has a built in Freeview tuner, so just connect a TV aerial to the RF socket and that should work fine. For Freesat just connect your old Sky STB to one of the scart inputs and select that input to watch it.

The above is fine for watching live TV, however it gets a bit more complicated if you want to be able to record from one or both Freeview & Freesat.

Mark.
  6. Catwoman

Catwoman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to be so thick:)
    I have been using it with Skyplus but I want to cancel this and go with free options. Am I correct in understanding that if I unplug the Sky box I will get Freeview with HD channels, and that if I then connect the Skyplus box as well I will also have the Freesat channels? At the moment the aerial cable comes from the dish into the Sky box so I assume that I will need another cable from the normal aerial directly into the TV?
    Give me a computer and I can cope but TVs and boxes I have a mental block about I'm afraid!
  7. Broadz

Broadz Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,480
    Not Freeview HD. That TV has a Freeview tuner in it - but not a high definition Freeview tuner.

Second short RF cable from RF1 out on Sky box into TV. Or just connect TV aerial directly into TV - it doesn't need to run through the Sky box.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,083
    For your TV to receive Freeview channels you will need a feed from a TV aerial. But as already mentioned your TV only has an SD Freeview tuner, so you wont get Freeview HD unless you buy an external STB/PVR.
    Once you cancel your Sky subscription the Sky+ will no longer be able to record (or even play back old recordings already made) and will just be a standard Freesat-From-Sky box - keep your Sky card in the box as this gives you access to a few additional channels.

Mark.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Catwoman

Catwoman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all for your help. I have a better grasp of the situation now.
  10. Catwoman

Catwoman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any way to save some of the recorded programmes before they are lost please?
  11. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,250
    The only practical way is by feeding them to an external DVD recorder.