Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Foxsat HDR freezing.

Discussion in 'Freesat Forum' started by the whistler, Dec 5, 2011.

1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,096
    All that does is switch the universal remote back to controlling the hdr. Lost count of the numbers of posters who accidentally press one of the other white buttons on the remote and don't notice the wrong one flashes red when they press a button.
  2. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096
    OK :D

Bear in mind the hdr PS is larger (it has two tuners, two lnbs and a hdd to power)

Hope you can tell the make from these

Attached Files:

3. dewlew

dewlew Member

Ratings:
    +1
    here we go again same old problem with humax foxsat freezing on program guide, waiting to receive information the only way to turn power off is to switch off at the mains ,
    humax have been aware of this problem for a long time and have tried to correct it with download fixes but the problem still exists .how much longer before they get to grips with the problem ,forever by the looks of it
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC Active Member

Ratings:
    +398
    Never had this at all. Had the box rebooting on it's own which a power cycle cured (With the overhead electrical supply, we get plently of spikes here - my UPS's are always complaining).
  5. ivanlomas

ivanlomas Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, newbie here, but just wanted to add that mine has been doing this for 4 days, just freezes in the EPG, only way to make it work again is switch off/on, on the back of the box.

It is starting to make me a bit cross!
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC Active Member

Ratings:
    +398
    Do you get a good signal from the freesat home transponder? [Channel 999]
  7. ivanlomas

ivanlomas Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, yep both are well over 75% full and in the green (which is normal for my area)
  8. ivanlomas

ivanlomas Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Having said that!
    I have just had to restart it again, and is now showing Strength 80% and Quality 40% on both tuners.

The strength bit is quite normal(Again for my area), but the quality is normally up at 80% also.

Why would the quality have dropped, it's not raining or anything untoward?
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC Active Member

Ratings:
    +398
    Suggest a freesat tune as a next step.
  10. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096
    Could be a sign of an impending lnb failure.
  11. Shady Deal

Shady Deal Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I would agree about lnb.
    Mark
  12. MartinPickering

MartinPickering Active Member

Ratings:
    +461
    Thanks, but, unfortunately, I can't read the manufacturer's name. Are there any black capacitors printed "CapXon"?
  13. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096
    No they are all the same colour as the one I took a picture off.
  14. vader100

vader100 Active Member

Ratings:
    +439
    I've had my Foxsat-HDR for 15 months now, never had a freeze problem until last weekend when it froze on the EPG.

It is a little coincidental that this has only become an issue since the last update introduced a workaround fix for the previous EPG problem.
  15. HAWKiav

HAWKiav Member

Ratings:
    +2
    received the following from Humax regards epg freeze a while back alas now my box is freezing and failing to record now (12mths old ) so going back .had to happen at xmas

Please follow the below instructions:

1. Power OFF the receiver
    2. Disconnect the satellite cables
    3. Power on the receiver
    4. Press Menu
    5. Select setup
    6. Select factory reset
    7. Select Yes
    8. Enter your password (Default = 0000)
    9. When the receiver restarts, power off
    10. Connect the satellite cables
    11. Power ON – the receiver will then run through the installation stages

This should solve the problems you are having.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. AlexanderG

AlexanderG Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys, YES
    First Post, have had the Foxsat HDR 1 year, freezing 4 or 5 times over the year always in the program guide, 2 days ago it went in to standby on it's own, since then I have tried a factory reset. It will only work without freezing with the aerial disconnected.

When I power-on it shows the last channel with small info bar, video and sound OK, but the remote locked out, after 1 min the video freezes and sound keeps going, the standby button on the box stops working. Power off and back on 30 secs later the same happens.

The box runs cold except for the area by the aerial sockets which is slightly warm, the fan doesn't turn, there is no dust on the fan blades it still looks brand new.

Opened up the box, the PSU board has:
    X4 CapXon 1000uf 16v KF105c VENT C352 Black case.
    X2 CapXon 22uf 25v KF105c VENT C342 Black case.
    X1 CapXon 1uf 50v KM105c Black case.
    X1 CapXon 47uf 50v KM105c Black case.
    X1 (Thanghai???) 120uf 450v 105c PET CD294 8IV0014 Black case.

The Main and RX boards have a few small 100uf 25v 85c Sam Young Brown case caps.

None of the caps smelling or showing any signs of swelling or leaking. Although a monitor I fixed by changing the Elite caps that were also looking good, but once out of the board wiggling the leads produced continuity.

Software ver: 1.00.17
    System ID: 3768.0000
    Updated: 20/09/11

Intending to replace the LNB anyway as soon as I can get a ladder, and will let everyone know the result.

Off to Badcaps.net to check out CapXon caps, some caps are considered replace on sight.

But still think this is a software problem. I really like this machine and am looking forward to putting the Media and File server Bundle into/on it.

Doesn't help much I afraid.

Alex
  17. impster

impster Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Had my Humax Foxsat since the 10th of December. Had 3 EPG lock ups in a row on boxing day. Tonight, had a lock up after having rewound live TV by about 2 mins.

No instances of freezing up prior to the 26th though. The box is a refurbished unit direct from humax themselves.

I note from this forum and other forums that people seem to believe it is software based issue?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. AlexanderG

AlexanderG Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys and Gals,
    I should say that this FoxSat HDR, with 2 tuners and 350Gb HD was a Grade A refurbished unit direct from Humax about 14 months ago.

It's going to take longer to replace the LNB than the capacitors, so going that route. The lock-ups have usually if not everytime occured while viewing the EPG, and noticed that scrolling faster can kickoff a lockup often culminating with the message ' waiting for program/channel information ' suggesting it is a delay with the satellite. Maybe it's not the satellite but the RAM.

I notice the main board has good quality built-in Hynix RAM, and RAM needs a very stable voltage supply, on computer motherboards the less stable the voltage becomes sometimes the less RAM can be recognized by the processer, but the board still works until it is put under load.

Why should this happen irregulary to some and not others.?

The irregularity is right there with the CapXon capacitors. (On this PSU PCB board, maybe not on others)

The capacitor market is deluged to say the least with fake, cheap and badly manufactured caps, 100's of manufacturers to stay clear of, only a handfull are reliable. Even the very best equipment on the market is effected.

It is possible the new software update is putting more load on the RAM, the EPG had delays they have tried to fix. These delays and freezings are a classic example of not enough RAM being used/seen by the processor.

The new caps are in the post and will be installed (@ 30mins work) ASAP. I will update the forum shortly afterwards. The old caps will also be tested.

Wishing you a prosperus and happy New Year.
    Alex
  19. meister74

meister74 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I too had this on Christmas day - sat down to watch Doctor Who and it froze in EPG. Only way to reboot was turning off and on at rear of unit: remote failed to work.

Happened again within the hour, but not happened since. Humax is only 4 months old.

Sounds like a bug to me!
  20. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096
    Sounds like Humax have used different capacitors over time. Mine's a first generation hdr from 2008 and they are different to yours.
  21. REPASSAC

REPASSAC Active Member

Ratings:
    +398
    I think the power supply module is used in other models as well as it is on it's own seperate PCB. I would not be surprised if the design changes from time to time.
  22. Shady Deal

Shady Deal Member

Ratings:
    +4
    My HDR has been great since the lockup on epg on first use. Today it went stupid, it first would not change channels on the epg (epg was not frozen just would say watch or record) I rebooted but noticed on guide I only had one yellow box saying all channels no more boxes. The weather was horrendous but signal strenth was good. Rang humax they said factory reset so did it. All was fine until looked at the guide it froze solid. Waited till tonight and weather ok, did another factory reset and so far it is ok. I really like this box and I do think it is a software issue!! I think on the epg it can't handle bad packets of data (from my computer engineer days) and if it gets bad packets it locks on them in the epg. There are many reasons you can get bad packets hence not everyone gets the problem at the same time!

I hope everyone has rang humax on this so hopefully they will look at it again!

Well that's my speech over !!
    Mark
  23. bignairy

bignairy Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I was told by Humax to do a factory reset. It was fine for two weeks, but last night it started doing it again.
    It has only started since the last software update.
    Suddenly Sky starts to look attractive again...
  24. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096
    Try accessing the epg by pressing the schedule button and then red. It's looking like there's a bug in the latest firmware which is supposed to stop a new guide download while you make series reservations.
  25. Skwarei's

Skwarei's Member

Ratings:
    +0
    A friend's HDR also freezes while viewing EPG.. this started after the last s/w upgrade. Her HDR also seems to display subtitles after fast forwarding too (sometimes) :rolleyes:.. That started happening after s/w update too.
  26. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096
    Exit twice gets rid of the subtitles. Turning them on and off again while viewing affected channels live usually stops it happening.
  27. meb95sc

meb95sc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Rebooting usually works for me but admit its somehting of a band aid.
  28. Skwarei's

Skwarei's Member

Ratings:
    +0

Thanks for that information..

I have updated my Foxsat-HDR to version 1.00.17 (inc. Raydon's excellent Media and File server bundle), and now I am getting intermittent EPG freeze issues similar to my friend's HDR. :mad:

Now thinking of reverting back to v 1.00.13, (my previous version of s/w), that never caused EPG freeze issues. Shame, I will miss the Raydon add-ons . :(
  29. joedeath332

joedeath332 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi i just recieved my foxsat 500gb today , and in the space of 2 hrs it has frozen 3 times on me ,,always while in the tv guide.
    i came here and read the part about doing a retune but not saving it,, i have done that and for the last hr or two it has been fiine with me jumping in and out of the tv guide as much as possible , learning about the menu's etc.
    hopefull ill not have more freezing issues but time will tell.
  30. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096
    Try pressing the schedule button on the remote and then red. It avoids downloading a whole new epg every time so you don't lose the programme you are currently viewing.