Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FOUND A STUCK PIXEL! Panasonic Plasma, advice!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sajb, Aug 25, 2008.

1. sajb

sajb Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys... I've been using the break-in DVD for 40hrs and have just noticed a stuck red pixel. I'm very certain that it wasn't there previously when I checked over the display, but now it's quite obvious. Can these stuck pixels develop (as I think this has), or are they created at manufacture?

If more will/can develop are they usually within the break-in that they emerge?

I've used PixelFixer and it's done nothing. Is one stuck pixel a 'deal with it' scenario or should I be trying to get a new set... I'm wondering what the likelihood of getting another ser with one on is. If they're created at manufacture only, and it's very uncommon to get set with one, then I might get a new tv (if it's covered with only 1 dead pixel that is).

As much advice as possible please!
  2. MINANTRA

MINANTRA Member

Ratings:
    +56
    Maybe you got it because of using a break-in dvd!
    I didnt think ppl used them, I would never use it.

I dont think 1 dead pixel will get you a new TV though but worth a try.

Cheers.
  3. stevecup

stevecup Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Whats the model number of the tv and where did you buy it from....
  4. sajb

sajb Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm positive the break-in DVD wouldn't do anything of the sort. It simply displays flat even colour over the whole screen for 30 seconds before changing to another tint in the colour spectrum. It burns the pixels evenly to be sure of no chance burn-in during the phosphors brightest period.
    My settings are also correct an in line with the recommended break-in information. As I understand [correct] user error is not related to a malfuctioning pixel. My question was the likelihood of them, whether they can get stuck at any time. Any informed advice?

The model is TH42PZ81B, bought from Dixons.

Just reading the manual...

Permanently lit spots on screen
    • Due to production process involved in this technology
    this may result in some pixels which are permanently lit

or unlit. This is not a malfunction.

However, some guys on the AVForums have said that the Panasonic conceige have replaced sets dispite this. Does anyone think I should try Dixons before Panasonic? I'M CERTAIN that it wasn't there out of the box.

Thanks in advance.
  5. sajb

sajb Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just spoke to Dixons customer support... here's the detailed deal:

If there is a green pixel stuck anywhere it is a fault (apparently a green pixel is more noticable to the naked eye and constitutes as disruptive viewing)

If there is a cluster of 4 or more stuck pixels in one location - it is classed as a fault.

Within 50% of the screen (ZONE A - near the middle) you are permitted 2 lit subpixels and a max 4 unlit pixels before it is classed as a fault.

The rest of the screen (ZONE B) you are permitted 6 unlit pixels, and a max of 4 stuck lit pixels. Any 1 stuck lit colour is acceptable (I suppose unless its green?).

So that's the long and short of it - I guess I should be happy the I don't have more. Still stucks big-time though - being my first HDTV 'n all.

Dixons said they were more lenient than Panasonic...
    But do you think I can override the Dixons policy and go direct to Panasonic?

Thanks in advance.
  6. MINANTRA

MINANTRA Member

Ratings:
    +56
    Its very annoying I know I have had several problems with laptops and a PSP, as per my replies in other threads, though nothing with TVs yet (touch wood), in my case I just didnt take no for an answer and I got what I wanted.

Just be firm and stick to your guns, the problem in UK is twofold -
    1) the customer is not king but in other countries especially USA they are
    2) ppl dont complain or stand their ground enough to companies, they complain once out of the store to anyone and everyone who will listen, but it has to be done INSIDE the store to the manager for example.

Good Luck.
  7. alkaty

alkaty Member

Ratings:
    +2
    When we got a lcd pc monitor a couple of years ago as soon as we switched it on we noticed a bright dot at the bottom of the screen at the time i had no idea about pixels just thought to myself thats going back, took it back to the shop they explained all about pixels similar to what you said about how many your allowed i was gobsmacked but i said to him there is no way im keeping this and he eventually agreed to change it, ever since then its always been on my mind when buying tvs, a couple of weeks ago i emailed five stores who advertise on these forums enquiring about a pioneer tv and asking what there policy was on dead and stuck pixcels, i was hoping one would understand that when you spend £2000 on a tv you would expect the tv to be perfect in every way but no i never recieved one single reply i think that says it all about retailers policy on this issue.
  8. kayman

kayman Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I have the 42px80 and during the first hours of operation I discovered a blue stuck pixel. in time, it just went away by itself. now I have around 600 hours on the tv and no problem pixels. I'd say be patient, give the plasma some time to settle and the problem might go away.

forgot to mention, I could only see the stuck pixel with my nose literally pressed against the screen -- anywhere farther than that it was impossible to tell.
  9. georgepomone

georgepomone Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,
    being interested in problems and causes I wonder sometimes just what users expect. I mean good set, good service etc.etc. If you used the break-in disc how long continuously? I've read where in the factory they use this colour break-in maybe a couple of minutes and even then let one or two pixels through because it's expected they go out after intensive testing is finished. I'm only repeating whats said by people who know a sight more than me.
    I would think if you used this disc for a long period a lot of the components are working close to limits. I feel gentle break-in is more preferable. You say 40hrs surely not continuous. Maybe if you leave a snowy screen on for a while it could clear your pixels better than subjecting the set to running all these hours. I've never run a set for 40hrs in my life. Maybe you mean on/off if so thats better.
    If you pay £600 or £2000 you will not get perfection. I work with electronics that cost £50,000 and up and you still get faults and breakdowns.
    ( Cinema Digital Projection Equipment).
    George.
  10. heavysoul

heavysoul Member

Ratings:
    +2
    But why should TVs be different to anything else we buy.

If there is a 'fault' then they should exchange it.

I can't see how different manufacturers or distributors can have their own definition of what is or isn't permitted or acceptable!

As MINANTRA says, don't take no for an answer!!
  11. Ekko Star

Ekko Star Active Member

Ratings:
    +290
    While it's less common than it used to be, dead/stuck pixels are still inherent in this technology. Unfortunately, it's part of the manufacturing process and the tolerances in question are minute.

Considering the amount of pixels that go into making a screen having one or two duff ones is within manufacturing limits.

It maybe not to your liking but if manufacturers dumped every panel that had 1 dead pixel then the price of these sets nowadays would still be incredibly high.

I appreciate that's not the answer you're looking for and sometimes it's best to find a sympathetic dealer in these instances. However they are well within their rights to say no as the issue lies with the manufacturers guidelines.
  12. wHoMe

wHoMe Member

Ratings:
    +116
    This is one reason why buying online is popular as any screen that turns up with a dead pixel can just be sent back within the first 7 days of delivery
    under the distance selling regs

Not great for the suppliers of the screen but its either you stuck with a new screen with dead pixel or them which to be honest I don't think is fair either

>>X<<
  13. lucas22

lucas22 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    shortly after recieving my panasonic 50px 70 i noticed a dead pixel and am quite happy to live with it as from my viewing distance it cant be seen.
    iam not saying the op should do the same by any means,but for me after having SEVEN YES SEVEN failed plasmas:eek: in two years its not the end of the world for me.:thumbsup:
  14. sajb

sajb Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys.

Firstly I can't go into a store... Dixons are now only online, so there's no one I can speak to face-to-face.

Secondly, Dixons policy is to only take back the TV if it is either faulty (which it isn't, within their guidelines) or if you have changed your mind and the item is completely unused. Even Panasonic claim it is not a fault to have 'lit dots' in the manual.

Lastly, I've read pages and pages of people using break-ins for long periods with no problem - with the brightness and contrast is at mid level. The longest that I've left it however is around 12 hrs before a 2-3 hour rest. I'm slightly worried now... Could this really be the cause? Surely if a pixel is going to get stuck or die after X amount of hours, it will do so regardless of these hours being consecutive or not.... I would have thought I've just revealed the flaw earlier on, rather than spotting it weeks down the line.

Any more advice?
  15. mark0326

mark0326 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think you have been unlucky in that during your careful break-in period you have discovered a fault which I believe would have happened sooner or later whether you were using a break-in DVD or not.
    What use is a television if it can't be left on for long periods without causing screen damage - springs to mind but then when did you last 'see' capacitor ageing?
    Having paid as I did for mine, I too would be very annoyed with the problem especially as you were trying to do (what you thought was) the right thing and running the set in carefully.
    Personally, from the start I have done a mix of using my TV normally but trying to avoid anything static and up to 4 hours at a time of coloured screens via the SD slot, not wanting to wear out my old DVD player.
    Good luck with trying for a replacement and do keep us informed.
  16. Lin3ar

Lin3ar Active Member

Ratings:
    +642
    I have never had a stuck pixel on any of the plasmas I have owned BUT I have never looked for one either.
    I know that if I did find one from close inspection I would always be looking for it, therefore if I can't see it from my viewing position it is not a problem.
  17. PurpleMantorok

PurpleMantorok Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I hate dead pixels and I hate the fact that this problem STILL exists considering how long this technology has been in mainstream use.

We don't have this problem with CRTs, so why do we have to "accept it" with LCDs and Plasmas?

Surely there must be "something" that can be done to prevent it?!

Kev
  18. Ekko Star

Ekko Star Active Member

Ratings:
    +290
    Since when has CRT been flawless ? There were plenty of inherent flaws with that technology.

In actual fact the trade off with one dead pixel against the improvement in technology only works one way.
  19. Lin3ar

Lin3ar Active Member

Ratings:
    +642

Exactly.

My old Tosh 32" CRT (which cost £1000) is now in my daughters bedroom and I find it hard to believe that I actually thought this gave a good picture.
  20. sajb

sajb Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark - I'm glad for your comment as it reflects exactly what I was thinking. Apart from contacting Consumer Advice and using the sales of good act's 'inherebt fault' claim as ammo, I think there is little I can do - other than shout on the phone (which won't get me very far). It's probably not visible from a general viewing distance and therefore may not affect general viewing.

Another issue as since come to light - I appear to have a rather indecisive pixel a few inches down from the top of my set on the right... it's only noticeable on a white screen where is flickers different colours... I wonder if this is covered under any of their 'acceptable' faults?

What are these online distance selling regulations and how can I enforce them if the trader (Dixons) and Panasonic claim it does not qualify as a fault?
  21. PurpleMantorok

PurpleMantorok Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Any problems with earlier CRTs have been sorted, and even when there were issues it would be with older sets, as opposed to having dead-pixels out of the box.

CRTs still win when it comes to SD, fair enough LCD/Plasmas can do HD but then again that's what they were designed for, same as for CRTs.
  22. Ekko Star

Ekko Star Active Member

Ratings:
    +290
    I'm afraid that statement is incorrect. CRT even in it's maturity still had many flaws. The last sets were also far from perfect.
  23. goonergaz

goonergaz Active Member

Ratings:
    +213
    Dixons policy = not worth the paper it's written on. Forget all the 'advice' written here, call the cunsumer direct helpline (08454 04 05 06) and they will tell you exactly what your rights are. This is why I don't buy online (such products) because if there is a problem it's a pain to get it sorted (usually).

And as for changing your mind about the product - I'm fairly certain it would have to be sent back at your expense.
  24. PurpleMantorok

PurpleMantorok Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Really? Anything that compares to the utterly frustrating annoyance of the dead-pixel and never really being able to take your eyes off it for all eternity?
  25. ScarySquirrel

ScarySquirrel Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Back when I got my LCD I ordered online with Dixons, after about 10 days I had a problem with a high pitch noise coming from the set when in standby. I called them up and they came and replaced it for free.

I was very happy with the service!
  26. Ekko Star

Ekko Star Active Member

Ratings:
    +290
    Not everyone is annoyed by a stuck pixel. In context of signifcance 1 pixel out of 2,073,600 is neither here or there. Especially so if it is off centre of screen and is not permanently lit.

These are plasma TV's which are primarily used for moving pictures and not static images like a PC monitor. Unless you go looking for it most people would find it invisible from viewing distance.

It also wouldn't surprise me if those with pixel perfect plasma's have had some pixels die on them since and have simply not noticed.

None of this bears any relation to what CRT's were about. That technology was flawed far more so, from start to finish.
  27. goonergaz

goonergaz Active Member

Ratings:
    +213
    And so they should - however when there's something like this (a stuck pixel) they (being online stores) tend to become hard to get the correct service.
  28. goonergaz

goonergaz Active Member

Ratings:
    +213
    Absolutely, try having speakers anywhere near a CRT! Or displaying a perfect picture with no distortion throughout the whole of the screen...and let's not begin to mention their size and weight! I worked for a monitor company for a while, and am aware of the limitations of each technology...I'd say it's pretty much a draw all round with the best tech being down to a personal choice of what you do not like! I (for example) hate the fact that no LCD has a perfect contrast/colour unless viewed perfectly straight on...it bugs the hell out of me!
  29. PurpleMantorok

PurpleMantorok Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Still doesn't alter the fact that my CRT's SD image will be superior to any HD set out there, and trivialising the dead-pixel issue is not going to make it go away, for most people spotting it it's very annoying and is a flaw out-of-the-box, something that's unlikely to manifest itself in a 5-10 year old CRT.
  30. PurpleMantorok

PurpleMantorok Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 4-way centre speaking sitting quite happily on top of my set, with no problems at all - what is your point..?