Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ford Focus Clutch warranty problem

Discussion in 'Motoring Forum' started by moclarky, Feb 12, 2012.

1. moclarky

moclarky Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Ford Focus 2009 diesel with a couple of months left on the warranty and 37,000 miles on the clock. The clutch is causing problems, its not the clutch friction plates, there is no clutch slipping. But its really difficult to get into reverse when its cold. So difficult my wife can't do it and its her car! All the other gears are easy to select all time. The Ford Dealer says its not a warranty job! They say they have confirmed this with Ford UK. They say it needs a compltete clutch kit. With labour thats over £800 at their prices. They are offering to pay 50% plus a free service.
    If it was the clutch plate causing the problem and there was clutch slip I would totally accept its a wear and tear item in the same way as brake pads etc and pay up. But as its something else in the clutch that is at fault I'm not satisfied with the Ford answer.

Any comments?
  2. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,740
    Could be the dual mass flywheel at fault.
    I had the same problem with my Alpina D3.
    Selection of 1st gear was a nightmare when cold, and the clutch bite was very abrupt.
    BMW thankfully did that under warranty.
    If it is the dual mass flywheel, it is possible to replace than on its own, but garages will often recommend doing the clutch as well.
    It's a big job and replacing the clutch at the same time will save the same big job at a later date.
    However, if you don't plan on keeping the car long enough to worry about clutch replacement, just stick to your guns.
    A cheaper alternative (don't laugh) is to recommend your wife reverse parks the car when its warm and selecting reverse is fine.
    If forward gears are fine when cold, why not.

BTW, if it us the dual mass flywheel then IMO that is a manufacturing fault and not wear and tear.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  3. Moviebuff

Moviebuff Member

Ratings:
    +110

It may pay you to get a written quote & independent diagnosis of the fault from another garage, and if it is possible for them to highlight another fault other than the clutch, then that should give you some ammo against Ford & the dealership.

Also, if you are a member of the RAC/AA, you could contact their legal team for advice.

It's easier for them to pin it on the clutch, as it is a consumable item & it may well be the case, but you wouldn't expect it to fail after 37,000 miles - assuming you are not a driving instructor that is.

The fact it is stubborn to go into reverse, but the forward gears are fine, suggests that there could be a greater underlying fault.

I would lodge a formal complaint disputing their failure to deal with it under the warranty, and state to them that you aren't interested in unrelated fripperies like a free service & that you just want the fault rectified under the warranty that was provided with the car.

If you are courteous but firm with them, you may well find they yield to your way of thinking. It's got to be worth a try, so stick to your guns. :)
  4. Daddy k

Daddy k Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +507
    You need to contact the ford customer relationship centre. Ask for them to look into it as goodwill gesture. They cannot diagnose the problem fully unless they remove the clutch etc so cannot say for sure it's wear and tear related, however the "dealer" will not want to be stranded with no one to charge for diagnosing that repair( diagnosing that fault is 90% fixing it taking gearbox out etc) so will look for ford uk or you the customer to be liable for those costs,Ford uk however won't cover unless full diagnosis done, it's catch 22 for the dealer.

The dealers are probably working off their "dawa scale" offering you 50% discount self authorised discount from ford uk, then chucking in a service at their cost.

If you have owned the car from new, ford serviced and say you've owned previous new fords you have a good chance of the CRC authorising all of the cost or a larger portion of the cost.
    You may find a letter sent to ford head office addressed to Les Francis may help a lot too ;)

Ps. Ford uk won't take onboard any other non ford diagnosis, and goingto another ford dealer will leave you in same position..... Because its "clutch related" they cannot automatically go to warranty to cover it, and of course to diagnose is to remove bell housing etc which is where most of the cost is, and the dealer won't want to cover that. So don't bother getting another opinion.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  5. moclarky

moclarky Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys. I have written to FORD UK CRC HQ today. I'll keep my fingers crossed.