Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ford Focus 1.6 zetec clutch

Discussion in 'Motoring Forum' started by delboyuk2005uk, Oct 29, 2006.

1. delboyuk2005uk

delboyuk2005uk Member

Ratings:
    +53
    I think my clutch is about to go, finding it hard to put the car in any sort of gear, is this correct?

How long does a clutch normally last, the car has now done 55k miles.

how much will I be looking to pay for a new clutch fitted?
  2. Daddy k

Daddy k Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +507
    be prepared for the dealer to state u could do with
    a new flywheel too, huge flywheel probs on fords recently

ford will tell u 15k miles on a clutch is fair wear and tear!

i pity all fords customers! thats from a man on the deep inside! woking with the people who know nothing about cars making decisions on failures on pi** poor diagnostics
  3. Joe90sDad

Joe90sDad New Member

Ratings:
    +50
    The clutch life is dependent on driving style. I've driven cars to 200k with no new clutch needed.
    However, if the clutch disc is worn it won't be hard to engage a gear but drive starts to slip when you lift the pedal.

You've got a problem with the clutch release mechanism/cable or your gear linkage.
    Hard gear changes can be also easily be down to the car mats getting under the pedal and stopping you from fully depressing the pedal. Even a small amount of travel can make a big difference.
  4. delboyuk2005uk

delboyuk2005uk Member

Ratings:
    +53
    its a 52 plate

well yes its hard to put it into gear but when yiu get it into gear it does rev a bit, then just drives like normal until you change gear again.

If its miore likely to be a linkage how much we looking at?
  5. Joe90sDad

Joe90sDad New Member

Ratings:
    +50
    It could be the linkage but I'd say it's less likely than the clutch mechanism.
    If you can engage gears fine when the engine is off then linkage should be fine and you've most likely just got problems with the clutch not releasing properly for whatever reason.

Get someone to sit in the car and press the clutch pedal while you look under the bonnet to see if the clutch lever moves sufficiently.

You say it sort of revs a bit when you release the clutch, then it could be that the clutch release bearing is knackered or messed fork, but that's all deduced by taking the gearbox off.

Try driving without the car mats though, you may think it's nothing but it's a very likely problem especially if you have a low biting point.
  6. delboyuk2005uk

delboyuk2005uk Member

Ratings:
    +53
    no with the car switched off it still has problems getting into gear, you have to force the car into gear. and when you put it into reverse it makes that crunching gear noise.
  7. Joe90sDad

Joe90sDad New Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Then definitely have a look at the linkage, it might just need adjusting and tightening.
    If you're not going to do it yourself, point it out to the garage before they spin you a load of waffle. It should be a very easy and straightforward job for a competent mechanic.
  8. delboyuk2005uk

delboyuk2005uk Member

Ratings:
    +53
    It was the clutch in the end, cost me £246 fully fitted, the guy said it was a 3 in 1 clutch or soemthing. Suprising it came to that much as he said the fiesta he did before hand the clutch for that was only about 50 quid.
  9. Joe90sDad

Joe90sDad New Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Strange. If you couldn't select gears properly even with the engine off then I don't see how it could have been the clutch.:confused: It had to be a linkage problem.

All 3 in 1 means is that the replacement kit comes with three parts - disc, cover and bearing. That's pretty bog standard and has sod all to with the problematic gear changes. Many garages like to waffle on about non related crap to confuse the customer and make them part with their money.

Sorry, but I think he robbed ya. He didn't need to change the clutch, that's if he even did change it and just didn't sort the linkage and give it back to you.
  10. Light_User

Light_User Member

Ratings:
    +7
    delboy - He may have robbed you for doing unnecessary work. But the price for the job was very good.

I recently had the same problem (but it turned out to be the flywheel and that was replaced under warranty). I phoned a few garages in this area (Milton Keynes) and was quoted from £360 to £460 to replace the clutch. :eek: 4 hour labour + parts + vat etc...

Whereabouts in the country are you!!!!
  11. delboyuk2005uk

delboyuk2005uk Member

Ratings:
    +53
    I live in st.helens!
  12. delboyuk2005uk

delboyuk2005uk Member

Ratings:
    +53
    well the garage belongs to a freind of the family, be hard to imagine he would rob me.

but there is no way of checking now is there?