Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Foam speaker grille replacement

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Mr Incredible, May 19, 2005.

1. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,242
    Hi all,

I have an aging pair of Heybrook HB1's with recently replaced bass units. :) Now the foam has got to such an age it is literally disintigrating in situ.

What is the best replacement foam I could use and from where?

:smashin:

Mal
  2. davehk

davehk Member

Ratings:
    +46
  3. missionman

missionman Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The Wilmslow audio grille foam is the correct reticulated foam you need. However if you look at the HB1 grille you will see it is recessed at the rear to make room for the bass unit surround and treble unit dome.
    The only way to achieve this is to use two layers of the 15mm thick foam. The bottom layer should be cut to clear the bass and treble units and then spot glued to the top cosmetic layer.
  4. Mr Incredible

Ratings:
    +8,242
    :thumbsup:

I had been wondering about the recessed area around the drivers. As the foam from Wilmslow is not that cheap, I was thinking of finding another (cheaper) mechanism to lift the foam grille away from the speaker to leave room behind for the drivers.
  5. mshere

mshere Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Could I ask where you got your replacement driver units from. I have sme aged HB1s as well and the rubber around the main cone has virtually disintegrated.
  6. Mr Incredible

Ratings:
    +8,242
    Wilmslow Audio.

It's the vifa16, M21WG-09-08 paper cone Bass