Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Floating wall with floating sliding media unit

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Chris705, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Chris705

Chris705 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Hey guys after taking a lot of inspiration and some ideas of my own I recently redecorated/renovated my living room.
    The general idea was a floating wall back-lit with LED strips but I also wanted to devise a system that would allow me to access the back of the amp and cabling for adjustments/additions. I came up with an idea of a unit that would slide forward and give the impression of it "floating" off of the floor. This was a bloody nightmare to develop and took me many days of research. The biggest issue was getting the sliding brackets which would support the weight of the unit, amp, blurays and other boxes such as blu ray tivo etc
    I eventually came across a company called accuride that develop industrial strength drawer sliders.
    The main issue is that when you place a vertical load on a drawer slider you lose up to 75% of the weight load. Therefore I had to get a slider that could carry 200kg per pair which would drop to around 40kg if mounted horizontally. I eventually found the one I needed and order three sliders. Enough talking here's the pics.

[​IMG]

By now the room had been skimmed, electrics done and decorated. This was my marking out on the wall for the frame.

[​IMG]

Part of the frame built for the floating wall

[​IMG]

Frame finished and TV bracket installed.

[​IMG]

MDF cut into place

[​IMG]

Testing the LED lighting/wiring

[​IMG]

TV fitting for speaker and cable placement

[​IMG]

Cabling finished

[​IMG]

Boards re-fitted and screwed onto place

[​IMG]

Boards filled and undercoated
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  2. Chris705

Chris705 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Now for the sliding media unit ...

[​IMG]

Here is the base for the sliding brackets. I used 18mm MDF and attached the sliders to the unit using joint connector bolts and T-nuts. I also glossed the base to help reflect the light from the LED strips out.

[​IMG]
    by k1llercop, on Flickr

Here are the units that I am using. They are from Ikea and part of the Besta range. I used 1 1200mm unit and one 600mm unit and screwed the two of them together.

[​IMG]
    IMG_3851 by k1llercop, on Flickr

It was critical to make sure that when I fitted the sliders to the base that they were running exactly parallel to each other.

[​IMG]
    IMG_3854 by k1llercop, on Flickr

Here are the three sliders fitted to the base board. I evenly spaced them out so they were centrally underneath each 600mm section of the media unit.

[​IMG]
    IMG_3856 by k1llercop, on Flickr

Here's the testing of the unit on the sliders

[​IMG]
    IMG_3857 by k1llercop, on Flickr

IF you look at the back of the base I had three batons above it these will eventually be fixed to the base to stop the unit tilting down to the ground as the sliders extend.

[​IMG]
    IMG_3859 by k1llercop, on Flickr

Floating just above the floor

[​IMG]
    IMG_3889

Here the sliding base is fixed to the units and the LED strips have been fitted.

[​IMG]
    IMG_3891

Testing of lights

[​IMG]
    IMG_3892

Testing of lights and sliding function
  3. Chris705

Chris705 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    [​IMG]
    IMG_3902

Finished, although I still have to adjust the led lights at the top of the wall to provide a more even light and add cooling fans to the back of the cabinet and finish off some cabling.

The LED lights were supplied by forum regular supraTTman who has an awesome site (visualchillout.co.uk) and offers advice and help with the installation
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Sick Boy

Sick Boy Member

Ratings:
    +129
    Looks great.

What an ingenious idea with Besta units. I was considering hanging mine off the floor with the enclosed brackets. But this idea raises them off the carpet and deals with access to cable mgt.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Chris705

Chris705 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    The accuride sliders I used were the DZ9301 @ 355mm long. They allow a full extension so the units come sliding out long way. There are many sliders to choose from but you have to bare in mind that when you horizontally mount them you lose 75% of the stated weight load.
  6. How1974

How1974 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Chris, i think i have just ordered the same carpet, is the colour cappuccino by any chance?
  7. Chris705

Chris705 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Close it's the same range but the colour is Taupe. It's a very nice thick carpet that is very nice underfoot !
  8. jonlock

jonlock Member

Ratings:
    +1
    looks good, i think you should have put skirting on the floating wall aswell? might make it flow abit better?
  9. psycho74

psycho74 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    wow! This looks brilliant, i will be attempting something along these lines after xmas but not brave enough to include the sliding cabinet, nothing like as talented as you my friend!! Was originally going to chase the walls out for tv and speakers but been told its a very messy job, so having just moved into our new house and decorating it all I have decided on the cleaner plan!!
  10. roomstyle

roomstyle Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Hi love your floating wall, just a quick question did you make the sliding base yourself?
  11. Chris705

Chris705 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Hello
    Sorry for the late reply but I made the sliding part myself yes but the units are from ikea
  12. enol

enol Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Very nice I like the sliding option very well thought out

I checked out accuride I need to look at your pictures more to figure out how you made it slide

Might be sending you a pm for advice lol

Thanks for sharing and all the Info!
  13. Chris705

Chris705 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    No problem just send me a message or post here if you need anything.
  14. iduncan

iduncan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, they look great. A quick question, what thickness of MDF board did you use?
  15. Chris705

Chris705 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I used 3/4 inch thick MDF for the wall and the base board for the sliding units