Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flashing a Sky+ box

Discussion in 'Sky Forum' started by t0m5k1, Sep 25, 2009.

1. t0m5k1

t0m5k1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    'ello every body peep's!

i was wondering if:

1) is it possible to flash a new firmware image onto the pace 3100-R
    what i mean is to TOTALLY change the firmware say with a dreambox/technomate or other hobbist type firmware so i essentially have a open source PVR

2) if not above can i flash it with a 'tweaked' sky+ firmware

3) if 1 & 2 = yes then how do i do it lol
    i mean do i need a JTAG or can this be done via rs232, what settings will i need to use to communicate via rs232.

4) what is avaliable via rs232 on a 'normal' sky+ box & do any of you have a command reference

thanks for all advice provided & thnx to forum admins for providing a great forum :)
  2. fernandez

fernandez Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,039
    Google for the answer and you'll find this info

"There is a patcher available on the 'net for the Pace 3100 Sky+ box which supposedly allows modification of the menu colours (to black) and allows a background picture to be added.

More interestingly, it also allows the Sky+ bit to be toggled - thereby allowing all of the PVR functionality to be used with an official FTV card"

and that's it !! I don't think that anything else can be discussed on here.
  3. t0m5k1

t0m5k1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hmmmmm

i think some of you may have mis-understood my wanting to do this let me go into more detail

******I DO NOT WANT TO CIRCUMVENT SKY/NDS ENCRYPTION*******

i have a sky+ box (NO CARD EITHER)
    no subscription to sky
    a portable dish (which i use along side a sat finder to point to various satalites)
    a DM500S

i have wanted a PVR for a while now but recently a friend found this sky+ box in his attic which he thought he had binned last month during clean out

all i want to do is try to make the 3100 behave similar to say a dm7050 or dm800 etc im sure you understand

i am a geek who loves to fiddle with things im just interested in what I can make this box do i am not interested in sky premium content!
    as i see it the can wipe their asses with it lol i just want to see what the hardware i have can do for me
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  4. fernandez

fernandez Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,039
    It seems very unlikely that this could be achieved as Sky boxes are not Linux based.
    AFAIK the only modification possible (and only on the 3100) is that described above which enables PVR functions of FTA channels only without a subscription or payment to Sky
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. t0m5k1

t0m5k1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    good point LOL

damn was hoping i had a cheap pvr
    oh well look like ill give the patch a roll & look into getting another freesat card :)

at least i dont have to use others sky boxes to pair up / activate