1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fixing tv led back lighting?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by reevesy, Feb 20, 2012.

1. reevesy

reevesy Active Member

Ratings:
    +187
    hi all,
    i've had the apollo led back lighting strips for quiet a while and they were fixed behind my old plasma with the supplied sticky pads .

these held fast and never came loose but since i've changed tellys to a bigger 50" this is what keeps happening

...started off with the supplied sticky pads which were fine for a bit then the top bars came loose.....re-did and the same thing eventually happened again.

..then went for some 'no more nails' strips that apparantly were a permanent fix :rolleyes:......good for 2.75 kgs :rolleyes:

although a tadge better the same things happened to one or two top bars

i can only assume it's down to heat...although to me it does'nt seem to be that hot and it's not llike i have it on all night

a lot of people have these tubes and i dont remember hearing of simliar problems so was wondering how or what with is the best way to fix them to the back of the tv ??

cheers
  2. reevesy

reevesy Active Member

Ratings:
    +187
    probably get more help in the diy section......can mods please move

cheers
  3. LV426

LV426 Administrator

Ratings:
    +2,836
    Moved...
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. mikeplow1961

mikeplow1961 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I've been through exactly the same thing. I used the pads that came with the kits, which despite me cleaning the surface and drying thoroughly, didn't even hold for an evening. Then I used no nails pads which were a bit better but still only held for a couple of days. Mine is on a 50 inch plasma too and you are probably right about heat

Always one to use a sledgehammer to crack a nut, next solution was a drop of superglue every six inches. Not had a problem since and, if the time ever comes, they should be removable with a scalpel. May leave a tiny mark on the back of the tv but hey, it's the back of the tv.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. reevesy

reevesy Active Member

Ratings:
    +187
    ....had thought about the super glue option but would like to find another option
    .....anyway dont know if its me but the super glues these days dont seem to be up to much

would have thought with a lot of back lighting out there in av land they'd be some more ideas?

cheers.
  6. tonyrees687

tonyrees687 Active Member

Ratings:
    +335
    I used a tiny little screw through the bracket into the tv frame. Drilled a 1.5mm pilot hole in the bracket and the tv frame first and never had a problem. Only drilled one hole per bracket though.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. reevesy

reevesy Active Member

Ratings:
    +187
    i'd rather not take the telly off the wall if i can help it

.....i did look at securing the top ones with small cable ties through the TV's ventilation holes

other than some super stick like **** pads i've not heard of ...it looks drill or glue

cheers
  8. tonyrees687

tonyrees687 Active Member

Ratings:
    +335
    What about bending some paper clips in to a hook and using the vent holes as the anchor and wrapping the other end around the bracket
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. swiss_tony

swiss_tony Active Member

Ratings:
    +188
    I have just used sellotape on mine and it is still holding them and I use them every night.
  10. reevesy

reevesy Active Member

Ratings:
    +187
    :facepalm:

sometimes the easiest solutions are the best!

cheers
  11. mikeplow1961

mikeplow1961 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Yeah. If only he had posted before I superglued myself to my telly. :)