Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fixing 32" LCD to solid Plasterboard Wall

Discussion in 'TV & Projector Brackets & Mounts' started by Stu2K8, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Stu2K8

Stu2K8 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys, really it is pretty much as the subejct says, I couldn't find any threads specific to solid plasterboard walls so thought I would drop one here, apologies for adding another to the ever growing list.

I have a Samsung 32" LCD which I want wall mounted to conserve space.

I have removed some shelving that I had on the wall where I want it attached to and the raw plugs also and the wall as far as I can see is solid plasterboard through to the otherside.

In thickness it is appears to be 55mm, I've gone through to the other side with a bradawl whilst measuring the existing holes, which can easily be filled :D

So....how do I best go about fixing my bracket to the wall keeping in mind I can't go all the way through as next door is the bathroom, however the wall is clear of pipes, electrical wiring etc.

I assume this will be a more solid fix than if the plasterboard was a sheet then a cavity then another sheet, so is it just a case of getting some good heavy duty plasterboard raw plugs and securing all the mounting holes on the bracket?

Any further suggestions anyone or am I pretty much on the right track?

Cheers
    Stu
  2. Member252055

Member252055 Active Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Hi. My last house had a couple of walls like this. I'm not sure if they're 'solid' plasterboard or whether they are a sandwich of plasterboard and cardboard, probably the latter. One way of checking is to push your bradawl through the first layer and see if you can swish it around inside, sussesting there's some sort of cavity there. Either way it's really tricky to fix anything heavy directly to this stuff.

One option and the safest way I'd suggest is to put a couple of wooden battons up first, paint them the same colour as the wall, then fix the bracket to those. The advantage of this is that you can use a lot more fixings to fix the battons than the bracket and spread the load better. To fix the battons you can use some quite hefty plugs like these http://www.screwfix.com/prods/71177...10mm-Pk-80;jsessionid=RSKLMH33KUP0ICSTHZOSFFA and also use copious amounts of 'No More Nails' to further secure. Once you've done that you can fix the bracket to the battons using normal woodscrews. I know this will make the whole assembly deeper (depending on the thickness of the battons) but in my experience it's a lot more reliable.

The other option is to go for these http://www.screwfix.com/prods/37199/Fixings/Cavity-Fixings/Self-Drive-Rawlplug-4-5-x-35mm# which work really well in plasterboard but it depends on how many fixing points your bracket has and how well the load would be spread based on the fixing positions available.

Hope this helps.

Regards
    Graham
  3. Stu2K8

Stu2K8 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply and the information, it is much appreciated, however I am not happy with any method of securing my TV to what does appear to be 3 layers of plasterboard stuck together (there are only 2mm gaps between each layer) they just does not seem to be a sure method which will be 100% secure.

I have decided to swap my bedroom around opposite to how it is now and fix it to my exterior wall, through the plasterboard and directly into the brick or breeze block which ever it is, that way I know then it isn't going to go anywhere at all.

Cheers
    Stu
  4. Stu2K8

Stu2K8 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Can anyone recommend any good fixing to grip breeze block, so far the plugs I have tried are just turing in the 10mm holes I have drilled (which is the correct size stated for the plugs I have used) and are not gripping....any ideas anyone?

They need to be 70-80mm in length and approximately 8-10mm in diameter thanks.

Stu
  5. Member252055

Member252055 Active Member

Ratings:
    +300