Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fish Lovers! What Other Fish Is Like Cod?

Discussion in 'General Chat Forum' started by Suave, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Suave

Suave Active Member

Ratings:
    +340
    Hi All,

I really am not a seafood person - in fact I stay away from all seafood apart from Cod which I really quite like strangely! I like it's light, flaky texture, that it is white and it's kind of very subtle taste & it's appearance.

I am changing my diet habits & need to eat more fish & lot's of it! As Cod is now quite expensive, are there any other very close alternatives to Cod that the Fish lovers here can recommend? I would really appreciate any help here as googling seems to result in some very contradictory views & opinions!

Many Thanks!

Suave!
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  2. Insanity202

Insanity202 Active Member

Ratings:
    +4,227
    Try pollock quite a nice fish mate and cheap too. :thumbsup:
  3. Iccz

Iccz Active Member

Ratings:
    +6,763
    Basa is very similar to cod. So much so that some places were selling it in place of cod and people did not realise straight away :)

Cheaper than cod as well.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. weetsie

weetsie Active Member

Ratings:
    +515
    +1

pollock is very cheap, and i actually prefer the taste to cod as cod is a bit bland, you can pick up a big frozen bag of it from lidl.

its great deep fried from frozen without any batter as they shrink in size and you get these golden crispy fish fillets, i would take it over KFC anyday.
  5. Marc

Marc Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,094
    i'm like you in that the main fish i eat is cod, although my favourite is scampi and i do also like prawns and salmon, but they are all the same as in they don't have a distinctively "fishy" taste to them

I wouldn't say cod is that expensive though, if you buy it frozen anyway. Asda do 4 breaded/battered cod portions for £3 and they taste really good and are quite large, much nicer than the Birds Eye ones.
  6. Suave

Suave Active Member

Ratings:
    +340
    Hi!

May I ask, what the hell is Scampi? I have asked a few people but get different answers! One friend who ate it quite often told me it was the tail of a Monkfish so I looked it up & almost puked when I saw what a Monkfish looked like - that is one seriously nasty & ugly looking fish - why on earth would anyone remotely ever consider eating something that looks so freakish & hideous? It's these sort of things that really give me a huge aversion to seafood!

Suave!
  7. Marc

Marc Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,094
    short answer: no idea :D

When i ordered them in Oz i got some king prawn type things, which was unexpected because i thought scampi was the little battered things i order when i eat out.

they are meant to be the tails of a particular type of lobster, but the ones you buy in supermarkets are just reformed fish with flavouring and don't taste particularly good so i would avoid scampi unless it's in a restaurant!

I normally have them as a side order to go with my 20oz steak :D (3 side orders of 4 pieces of scampi)
  8. craig1912

craig1912 Member

Ratings:
    +217
    Scampi is the tails of prawns however alot of the cheap scampi is reformed fish etc.
    Monkfish is one of my favourites although I agree its one ugly fish
  9. Pugs1

Pugs1 Member

Ratings:
    +76
    Hake is but better...
  10. indianwells

indianwells Active Member

Ratings:
    +562
    Haddock for me. You get worms in cod and it's very bland and often watery I find.
  11. njdbaxter

njdbaxter Active Member

Ratings:
    +302
    cat fish, very similiar to COD, some fish shops sell it as COD as its less than half the price to buy, many get fined each year for it
  12. Ian J

Ian J New Member

Ratings:
    +4,980
    It's a Dublin Bay Prawn. Monkfish may be ugly but when buying it in a fishmonger you don't see the head as it's only ever sold skinned. It used to be very cheap because it was thought that no-one would eat such an ugly fish but it was popularised by TV chefs and as demand rose the price rocketed.

In answer to your question haddock, pollack and coley are similar types of fish to cod in taste and texture
  13. Chadford

Chadford Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,270
    For health reasons I changed my diet a couple of years ago to reduce eating red meat to maybe once a week, thus I've started eating a lot of fish. This book has been invaluable (particularly for midweek evening meals)...

Good Food: 101 Fish & Seafood Dishes: Triple-tested Recipes: Tried-and-tested Recipes: Amazon.co.uk: Jeni Wright: Books

Another fish to try is Tilapia, it doesn't look like cod but if you like cod you will probably like Tilapia.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. DPinBucks

DPinBucks Active Member

Ratings:
    +972
    Dublin Bay Prawns are not to be confused with 'real' prawns. The correct name is langoustine, and they're a kind of lobster. Fried scampi are the tails.

Nephrops norvegicus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the subject of white fish, pollock is the most common alternative to cod in the UK, I think. When we were in Canada, the most common was halibut, and if anything I thought it nicer than cod. Personally, I'm not too keen on haddock fried in batter, though I'm very fond of it smoked.
  15. shoestring25

shoestring25 Active Member

Ratings:
    +179
    coley
    Pollock
    pouting

are all lovely and much cheaper and in my opinion better tasting than cod
  16. paulyoung666

paulyoung666 Active Member

Ratings:
    +962
    be guaranteed if you go to a chip shop and see fish and chips for sale , you aint getting cod or haddock , it will most likely be pollock or similar , a chip shop round here got done for selling haddock and cod when in reality they were selling pollock , now they sell fish ..................
  17. indianwells

indianwells Active Member

Ratings:
    +562
    I'm from Grimsby and if that was tried here they'd be bloody firebombed!;)
  18. aVdub

aVdub Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,072
    I'm a massive fan of sea food, catch most of it myself and find cod over rated and quite bland.

Many great alternatives given in this thread :thumbsup:

Some of my favourites and worth a try are:
    Dogfish/Huss (rock salmon)
    Mullet
    Bass
    Thornback Ray
    And often thrown back dead, because it aint cod :( is Whiting. I've usually got a freezer full of whiting and the swmbo makes fisherman pies with them.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. njdbaxter

njdbaxter Active Member

Ratings:
    +302
    most have got done for selling vietnamese catfish known as cobbler etc as COD.

Another thing fresh fish in stores and butchers is not really fresh, read the small print below the price. "may have been previously frozen". it is known that this "fresh fish" can be stored in for 6+ months before reaching thr shelf
  20. Iccz

Iccz Active Member

Ratings:
    +6,763
    Indeed, but catfish is a general term for the group of fish, Basa as I mentioned is the main one on sale that is similar to cod and often sold in it's place :thumbsup:
  21. Badger0-0

Badger0-0 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,008
    Yes, it's quite often the case in our area.
    I'm exactly the same as the OP, in that the only fish I can eat is cod.
    Hence I can taste it straight away if it's not proper cod.

I've never tasted anything as good as cod, except years ago when I barbied some mackerel I had caught myself :smashin:
  22. Ian J

Ian J New Member

Ratings:
    +4,980
    The thread starter asked for "close alternatives to cod" and the only close similarity that cod has to mullet and bass is that they both live in the sea
  23. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +12,710
    Another vote for Coley here :)

Semi-serious suggestion: If you're feeling adventurous then Tesco Market Value "White Fish Fillets" are £3.85 a kilo, and if you buy those at least you know you are buying something that isn't anything other than what it is described as.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  24. aVdub

aVdub Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,072
    Delete it then!

Will add that there are not that many that are similar to cod, apart from those in the cod family. Ling being an example :p
  25. THE AMATUER

THE AMATUER Active Member

Ratings:
    +338
    Like you I'm not into seafood at all but we bought frozen breaded Basa from Tesco and I love it. No fishy taste and very similar to cod but a lot cheaper. Youngs make it.

http://www.youngsseafood.co.uk/web/product_info.asp?trg=ff&id=110

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  26. Badger0-0

Ratings:
    +2,008
    But they're not cod, are they?

The missus tried to trick me with some "white fish" and I knew straight away, even though she tried to blag it after I asked her :D
  27. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +12,710
    That's the point, they're cheaper than cod, and if they prove to be too unlike cod it's a cheap experiment :D
  28. Phil57

Phil57 Active Member

Ratings:
    +517
    How many millions of times have you been told not to exaggerate.:nono:
  29. Badger0-0

Ratings:
    +2,008
    Yeah, fair enough :smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  30. paulyoung666

paulyoung666 Active Member

Ratings:
    +962
    millions , but on this point i am correct , if you are selling cod you are going to advertise it , if you are selling something else you wont call it cod unless you are terminally stupid like the chip shop round here :rotfl:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1