Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First time Plasma owner, any do's and don'ts?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MSI, Sep 21, 2010.

1. MSI

MSI Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Afternoon all.

After so many problems with LCD tvs, I have bit the bullet and bought a Panasonic TX-P42V20B Plasma tv which comes on Friday and Id be gratefull for any do`s and dont`s.

Never had a plasma before and everyone I know has been giving me horror storys about them with very little good to say about them.

Would be gratefull for any tips and advice please.

Many thanks!
  2. Inferno

Inferno Active Member

Ratings:
    +757
    Whatever anyone says good about them, 2 members will pee on the bonfire, mentioning no names ( C & S ) :rolleyes:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. MSI

MSI Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    ummmm

im in 2 minds to cancel the plasma now and go for lcd, no one seems to have anything good, positive about plasma.
  4. anlygi

anlygi Member

Ratings:
    +25
    The biggest DO: DONT believe everything you read or hear about Plasma.

I was the same and recently bit the bullet, I am so glad I did. I dont read anything and I am just enjoying my TV. So much better than the LCD it replaced.
  5. SeeleyBooth

SeeleyBooth Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +295
    i bought my 1st plasma last tuesday fed up of LCD failures the blacks are incredible no Lag on Gaming either
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  6. Icebird617

Icebird617 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    anlygi, SeeleyBooth

what did each of you get ,out of interest?
  7. Chronoptimist

Chronoptimist Member

Ratings:
    +58
    Do:
    Make sure you watch everything fullscreen
    Put it in cinema or thx mode and turn down contrast

Dont:
    Play games for more than an hour
    Watch channels with logos without zooming them off screen
    Watch films without zooming the bars off the screen
    Watch 4:3 content without stretching
    Use with a PC
    Buy plasma if your watching it in a bright room
  8. Mark Hodgkinson

Mark Hodgkinson Reviewer & News Writer Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,318
    Do

Try and enjoy it without looking for problems.

Don't

Come back to this board unless you have an issue:)
  9. Kev Russ

Kev Russ Member

Ratings:
    +19
    dont pay games for more than an hour>>>>>>>>>>>>>>dont buy a plasma if you want to game then:facepalm:
  10. Insanity202

Insanity202 Active Member

Ratings:
    +4,193
    Why cant you play games for longer than an hour? I do on my LG and did on my G20 infact on my G20 I played for over 5hrs with static huds. And that question applys to movies and 4:3 content too. I did all that and never have had any issues. Yeah some slight IR thats gone in a matter of seconds the most 10mins on my lg, but thats was only seen when I looked for it.
    Also my Lg and G20 were sat in the corner of a room with a very large window. The G20 has a good AR coating making viewing in bright rooms good. The V20 has an even better coating. And to me they look miles better than any LCD/LED.
    When was the last time you bought a plasma? Your views seem very dated.
    Most people who post here are talking about current plasma tech. Not that found years ago.
    The V20 is a nice tv, but like every tv ever made it has it niggles.

To the OP just stick it in THX and sit back and enjoy. Its as easy as that. ;)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Inferno

Inferno Active Member

Ratings:
    +757
    This is all rot i never zoom films with black bars because it looks daft and do not suffer any retention at all ever i have played games for 8 and more hours on my main set no retention whatsoever never zoomed 4:3 content again because it looks silly, i watch sky news hd a lot and all night during the election and guess what nothing never zoomed it once.
    You just dont like plasma sets do you buddy you just put so much negativity on threads.
    and as mark says dont go looking for faults unless you have one, and dont listen to mr sunshine above he has an agenda for whatever reason.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  12. phoenixw

phoenixw Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Most of the above is a load of cobblers, apart from the watching 4:3 content one. My Tosh LCD has horrible scars from the border edges from watching too much 4:3 content from the various cable channels , I wouldn't want my plasma suffering from the same fate!
  13. Insanity202

Ratings:
    +4,193
    The good thing about the V20 is there is an option to turn the black side bars of 4:3 content to grey to keep the plasma cells active so they dont suffer the same fate of your Tosh. ;)
  14. charker

charker Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Really! Had a Panasonic 50" Series 7 plasma for about 5 years and it's used every day and have never done any of these and have never had any problems.

Watch everything the size God intended
    Use NORMAL with the contrast down from factor setting
    Played Call of Duty for 8 hours once and Forza for hours and hours many times
    All the channels have logos and I never zoom them off
    Always leave the bars where they appear
    Watch 4:3 at 4:3
    Sometimes use my PC
    Watch in in my living room with normal everyday lighting

Should I be worried :eek: I think not!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. SeeleyBooth

SeeleyBooth Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +295
    panny S20 B mate and anlygi the same Tv mate
  16. Chronoptimist

Chronoptimist Member

Ratings:
    +58
    Last plasma I bought was a Pioneer LX5090. Plasma is not bright enough for a bright room, no matter the AR coating. Panasonics coating is still worse than Pioneers was on the Kuros. LED is significantly better.

Game too much on a plasma and it will burn. IR leads to burn over time.

KRP500 after watching films without zooming.

[​IMG]
    Pioneer says its not a fault.

You have hundreds or thousands invested in plasma to bias you. I do not any more. Just stating facts. Maybe check your manuals some time. You claim things the manufacturers dont even claim.
  17. DavidT

DavidT Member

Ratings:
    +217
    This has got to be a windup. :laugh: No one would buy a TV with these limitations.
  18. Kev12

Kev12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +312
    That panel is faulty, or its been hammered with over the top settings.

I've watched several hundred 2.35-1 films on my KRP, BD and Sky HD, and there is not the SLIGHTEST hint of any retention.
  19. Chronoptimist

Chronoptimist Member

Ratings:
    +58
    And yet people do.

But its ok. After 200-1000 hours or however long you wait before you cant return it they magically fix themselves!

Read your manual. Pioneer says even stricter things than I do.

If the settings are over the top why are they allowed to be set so it damages the TV?
  20. Kev12

Kev12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +312
    He's quoting the manual where manufacturers list these precautions so they don't have to refund anyone who has deliberately burned their panels to get a new one. (Why anyone would do that anyway:confused:, they just say it to cover themselves).
  21. Kev12

Kev12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +312
    I've read my manual, thanks.

Your last sentence is the only time I've ever agreed with you.
  22. bighfishing

bighfishing Member

Ratings:
    +157
    i have a 8 series pioneer kuro 4280xd and never get the slightest bit of image retention and its a 3 years old model now, and thats after looking for it in a dark room on an unused hdmi input, maybe the 9 series was worse for IR. i did used to get image retention on my panasonic x10 plasma but it soon went and i could only ever see it when specifically looking for it in a dark room, under normal viewing conditions it was impossible to see.
  23. Kev12

Kev12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +312
    The 9G is just as good as the 8G, in my experience.
  24. Insanity202

Ratings:
    +4,193
    My 5hrs+ of gaming is only a third of my tvs useage. The rest is normal tv and movies.
    And yes Ive checked my manual thanks, BUT nowhere does it state zoom in so you dont see these black bars, or screen logos and dont use 4:3 content.
    I dont mean to sound rude but if you dont like plasma tvs so much why post and read a plasma section? Its like me reading though the LCD/LED section I dont like the tech so I dont waste my time reading that section. And I dont waste my time pulling down there chosen tech with dated knowlage of my past experiance with LCD tvs.
  25. bighfishing

bighfishing Member

Ratings:
    +157
    im quite sure the 9G will be a better tv, i just meant it might be worse for IR after looking at the pic that chronoptimist posted, but i dont know.
  26. Kev12

Kev12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +312
    Like I said earlier, that panel is a one-off. Mine shows nothing like that, and if the KRP was prone to burn like that, we'd have heard more on here.
    I know you were on about the IR, not that the 9G is a better tv:)
  27. Chronoptimist

Chronoptimist Member

Ratings:
    +58
    My 4280 burned, not IR, burned after a few hours of Xbox on 20 contrast. Slight burn but burn nonetheless.

Are you willing to replace peoples TVs when they break based on your recommendations? I think the people that made the TVs have a better idea of what they can and cant do than you.
  28. Kev12

Kev12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +312
    i give up:boring:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  29. Insanity202

Ratings:
    +4,193
    :D
    Me too mate.
    Why he posts in a plasma section and wastes his time reading comments about plasma tvs, when he clearly hates the tech is beyond me.:rolleyes:

Anyway again to the OP just pop the V20 into THX and enjoy. Theres many of us on here quite happy with our tvs. Or you could listen to the guy who doesnt own one. :D:smashin:
  30. charker

charker Member

Ratings:
    +21
    I think it is quite revealing that he claims that Plasma is not bright enough for a well lit room and he plays games at Contrast=20.

So perhaps the TV is turned up bright in a bright room which 99% of the people on here probably don't do. The contrast on mine at 20 in a darkened room would give you a headache. Mine is set to 5 (or less) out of 30.

Bet he has his LCD set to "shop display" mode and wears sun glasses when in the dark or maybe he's just scared of the dark and always has the light on!