Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First projector £1500

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by Denzz, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Denzz

Denzz Member

Ratings:
    +26
    Hi guys I'm currently converting my garage into a play room for my girls and a cinema for me!

The room is 2.5 x 5.5 Mtrs long and I'll be putting a 96" screen at one end of the room with a window at the opposite end! 80% of the viewing will be done at night with the occasional day time film but the window will have a blackout blind and curtains! The ceiling will be painted white and the walls cream/brown, not ideal I know!

The projector will be used for Xbox games and blu ray! I'm not interested in 3D as I wear glasses and find wearing 2 pairs uncomfortable!

I was all ready to take the plunge on a JVC HD350 but I play ALOT of Xbox and mostly shooters so I'd like something that handles fast motion well with minimal lag!

Budget is £1500

Any advice would be greatly appreciatted?
  2. helder

helder Member

Ratings:
    +12
    You should not listen to reviews from people who are extremely picky and point out slight niggles that most of us users can't even detect. I've got a JVC HD1 and the motion with games is just perfectly smooth so the HD350 should be at least as good in that department. I play shooters too with great results. With your budget it's a toss up between the JVC HD350 and the Optoma HD82, both mid range projectors that can be had at great prices. Either one would please you immensely so I think it's a pretty easy decision.

And you'll never look back ;)
  3. Denzz

Denzz Member

Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks for the recommendations, I'll see if I can get a demo of both and make up my mind!

! I was looking at the Epson 3600 that Seems to very popular but I do want the best possible image for my Budget, can anyone tell me if the better black levels/picture on the JVC is worth the extra £500 over the Epson???

At the minute I play on a pioneer lx5090 so do get a great image I just want the big screen experience while playing games! I've never actually seen a home cinema projector before but I'm sure I'm gonna love it!!
  4. paulmcp2403

paulmcp2403 Member

Ratings:
    +72
    if you enjoy gaming....go 3d....optoma hd33 or the epson 6000all the way....read the threads on here....for £1500 the 3d is a bonus !!!
  5. helder

helder Member

Ratings:
    +12
    It depends. If your priority is gaming with just a little of movie watching then the Epson would probably be sufficient, but if you really love your movies and you're seriously into cinema than £500 is nothing compared to what you would be getting extra. Bear in mind that the JVC (unlike with the Epson in question) used to cost nearly the double back in the day. It's serious bang for bucks while the TW3600 you could say that you get what you pay for... or very nearly anyway.
  6. Denzz

Denzz Member

Ratings:
    +26
    It's gonna be pretty much a 60/40 split in favour of gaming but I do watch a lot of movies!! I play battlefield pretty much every night and watch a couple of blu rays a week funds and worthwhile new releases permitting!

I think I'll go with the JVC HD350 as I do remember reading great reviews when they were released. I think the Epson tw6000 might have to get a demo too, I discounted all 3D projectors as it wasn't something I was interested in! I suppose it's just the norm now and it's a feature you either use or you don't!!
  7. Ideal AV

Ideal AV Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,953
    The JVC will be the better projector but the Epson 6000 in your bright room will be better suited unless you go for a screen designed to be used in that light enviroment.

your room simply will not allow the JVC to perform at its best, whereas the 2200 lumens from the epson will produce a brighter image during daylight use, if you can couple this to a screen that doesn`t reflect ambient light then even better.

Allan @ Ideal AV
  8. Denzz

Denzz Member

Ratings:
    +26
    Hi Alan

Thanks for the advice, I really am a complete noob when it comes to projectors so it is greatly appreciated!!

I would say the projector will be used mostly in the evening after 10pm (the wife's bedtime) and in the dark but I have 2 young girls who are bound to want to watch films occasionally in the daytime!

Looks like the Epson Tw6000 is going to be the projector to go for!!

Could you alaborate more on what screen would be best suited?? I've got £600 ish Budget for the screen!

Sorry for all the questions!!

Thanks again!!
  9. Ideal AV

Ideal AV Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,953
    i`d suggest a draper greylight screen to help with image contrast and black levels, that or a beamax grey screen

the Epson having 2200 lumens should look very good using either of those screens

Allan
  10. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Member

Ratings:
    +6
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/16497734-post143.html

for battlefield, this is an issue
  11. stevelup

stevelup Active Member

Ratings:
    +722
    As much as I love my Epson 6000, it is widely reported (and has been conclusively proven) to introduce large amounts of lag.

It's in the order of 100ms - so given that your primary use is going to be Xbox shooters, I don't think it's the right choice.
  12. XL5

XL5 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi
    Quite simply if you don't go down the 3d route choose the Benq w1060. It sounds like placement is not an issue so save yourself a boat load of cash get your preferred screen, 5 years subscription to love film and 12 months supply of pop corn together with a raft of games :)
    See my blog and pics & cheapest place to buy
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012