Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First impressions...

Discussion in 'DS, DSi & 3DS' started by Rock Da Bass, Mar 24, 2011.

1. tringo

tringo Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Pro evo is the best game I've picked up since launch...always been a FIFA man but gave it a whirl.

Gameplay is very good and easy to pick up, graphics are great and on a par if not slightly better than FIFA on the psp. On the beginner setting it's easy enough to beat the opposition by 5 or 6, lots of moves/tricks to master. No online but champions league competition and the master league which should take time to complete.

You can score some really stunning goals and the 3d effects are impressive - got the slider at about 3/4 and I find myself trying to look around the corner to see where my off screen player is :). all the usual bells and whistles in game commentary and replays which are stunning.....

In terms of the 3d effects not as visually impressive as the preloaded software which seems to really jump out at you but still good never the less....I like it :)
  2. The_Wierd

The_Wierd Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Ive got a 3D TV too, reckon the 3DS 3D effect is better than the PS3 games I've played.

Obviously the display is not as big, but I solve that problem by holding it closer to my face! ;-)

Of course the main advantage is because I can't take my 3D tv with me on a plane. even so I think the 3d effect is pretty nice, I haven't felt any eye strain even after a couple of hours last night, and if you get the position right there is no ghosting.
  3. addyb

addyb Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,158
    Got mario64 ds today. It's far better to control now with the analogue nub. I remember it being quite a chore to control on the old ds d-pad so really pleased with the improvement!
  4. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass Active Member

Ratings:
    +286
    Is it 360° directional control or 8 directional with the analogue nub?

Cheers
  5. addyb

addyb Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,158
    It's 8 directional. Obviously still lacks the precision of the n64 version but it's a damn sight better than the d pad.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. tony kop77

tony kop77 Active Member

Ratings:
    +48
    I went to buy Ridge Racer and a blue 3DS from game but they wanted £25 for the game and about £220 for the console. I was going to buy it from their website as I saw it for £209 but after buying Street Fighter, Pro Evo and Pilotwings for £30 each I decided to try Tescos and got ridge Racer with Blue console for £215.
    I am off to work in a bit so wont get to play it until tonight :( £295 for a 3DS and 4 games isn't a bad deal.
  7. addyb

addyb Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,158
    Let us know what you think.

I had a good 90 mins on Ridge Racer last night. Love it at the moment!
  8. Jason7D

Jason7D Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Really liking my 3DS so far. :smashin:

Pilotwings is fun (and impressive to look at) if a little shallow. (Although 3-starring all the challenges will take a while.) Ridge Racer is great.

Went into town this morning so popped the 3DS into sleep mode and shoved it in my coat pocket. When I got home I'd got some 'coins' for the steps I'd walked and two Miis from passing other people with their 3DSs with them.
  9. paul1979

paul1979 Active Member

Ratings:
    +333
    whats the battery life on these? i have one but dont know! Also how poo is the docking station? i think very much :rolleyes:
  10. addyb

addyb Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,158
    Docking station does its job though. Im not really bothered its nothing fancy.
  11. cordenadam

cordenadam New Member

Ratings:
    +74
    Whats wrong with the docking station ?
  12. paul1979

paul1979 Active Member

Ratings:
    +333
    the docking station looks crap and in truth does not secure itself properly to the 3ds. ye it does the job but so do coat hangers for ariels on a car.... still thats not my thing. i honestly remeberd it looking the same colour and being a lovely finish so when i was greated with a lump of carppy black plastic i though *** is this! :mad:

still i like the 3ds appart from some crazy eye tricks :rolleyes:
  13. addyb

addyb Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,158
    Mine secures fine. I keep it permanently in the kitchen. Pop the 3DS on when not using it and jobs a good un!
    It does exactly what it's supposed to. What were you expecting a marble finish? Lol
  14. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass Active Member

Ratings:
    +286
    I agree with this. I just use my docking station for storing my 3DS on now and as a result it's generally fully charged.

I'm not sure how it could be improved really :confused:
  15. tony kop77

tony kop77 Active Member

Ratings:
    +48
    I had a quick go on ridge racer and PES, I really like it although don't find it very comfortable to hold and first few races on Ridge Racer are easy. 3D graphics look nice not had problems yet.
    I don't know why Nintendo couldn't make the upper screen bigger rather than have all that black plastic around it. I need to get used to using the control stick before I can produce flowing football on PES.
  16. paul1979

paul1979 Active Member

Ratings:
    +333
    i want it to secure and be a colour match i guess.... like i am paying loads for the machine as it is i want a good finish:blush:
  17. sid77

sid77 Member

Ratings:
    +26
    Well after having it for a week now I'm definitely hooked. The machine has fantastic potential and some of the games in the future are mouth watering.

The games I have so far...

SFIV
    Fantastic achievement on a handheld. Up until a couple of months ago I was into it big time on my PS3. Bought the £150 tourny fightstick and played at a good level. So I picked it up on the 3DS because of my love for the game but I've been blown away since. It's probably the game I play most. Although I can see how it won't seem as good to people who are new to the game because the learning curve is steep. 10/10

Ridge Racer
    Top quality title and the 3D effect is superb. Bit of a shame there is no online multiplayer but can't grumble for a launch title. 9/10

Pro Evo
    Again, really enjoying this but I'm finding it a tad strange controlling my players with the circle pad. I don't know why, its a precision tool but I can't get any precision if that makes sense. Replays in 3D are awesome! 8/10

Pilotwings
    Everyone says this is shallow but I think the opposite. It's classic Nintendo design and the game opens up the more you play. 8/10

:smashin:
  18. addyb

addyb Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,158

Hi mate,

I recall you from my brief street fighter 4 days a while ago. I was going to ask you what you thought of this version. I remember many a game you battering me with Blanka i think! :)
  19. Member 513627

Member 513627 Member

Ratings:
    +45

I agree with everything you've said regarding street fighter and pilotwings (Haven't got the other two so can't really comment!).

Playing online with street fighter is easily more fun than playing arcade, it is amazing how much they have crammed into this compared to the lightweight feel of other games on the system.

I love it just as much now as when I first got it, it's really really fun!

Apparently starfox is out in may :cool:
  20. stu.artd

stu.artd Active Member

Ratings:
    +358
    Tried the camera today and although the resolution is pretty poor the 3d effect gives a very good first impression. Adds a new twist to pics.
  21. CAS FAN

CAS FAN Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,058
    I was really impressed with the docking station and find it very useful. I'm surprised they didn't sell it separately so good on them for including it in the pack. My DS is black so it matches the dock just fine.
  22. CAS FAN

CAS FAN Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,058
    I must say that after giving PES some more play I am really starting to fall in love with this game. I'm playing through master league now and really enjoying it. Here's a vid (albeit a poor one from my phone) of a goal I scored earlier.

[youtube]Yv1pB-46flk[/youtube]

And here is an overhead kick goal I pulled off....

[youtube]G8sa7cfmLMk[/youtube]
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  23. sid77

sid77 Member

Ratings:
    +26
    Hey addy your on my friend list on the PS3 as well! Yea Blanka was my main but I've since moved onto Rufus lol.

Like I said in my review I think the game is brilliant. It's even better because I can be sat on my toilet giving some poor kid a real beating and they have no idea! :D
  24. addyb

addyb Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,158
    Lol too much information!

I had to stop playing street fighter on the ps3 as I was just getting too wound up playing it! I guess my skills aren't what they used to be!
    I look forward to getting my ass kicked again once the joke that is tesco direct sort my order out. That's another story though!
  25. drew_bwfc

drew_bwfc Member

Ratings:
    +11
    just a question on PES, what sort of pace does it play at? Is there options to change the speed of the game?
  26. Shanksy7

Shanksy7 Member

Ratings:
    +193
    Just got my 3ds today (after winning a footie bet :) ) and have to say, very impressed so far. Only had a quick go on Lego star wars and have no problems with seeing the 3d effect even if I move about. The menu is fantastic and really gives a great sense of depth. I also think the build quality is excellent and agree that the dock is a nice touch and will be using that to store my 3ds when not in use.

Sent from my iPhone using AVForums
  27. stu.artd

stu.artd Active Member

Ratings:
    +358
    And if you lose then you literally could be getting the #*#% kicked out of you. :D