Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Genius bar experience

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by AngryDog1981, Feb 19, 2012.

1. AngryDog1981

AngryDog1981 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Been to the Apple store in Sheffields Meadowhall today to have my phone looked at.

It had an unresponsive home button. Got there and was seen instantly, then had to wait a few mins but nothing much.
    Explained issue, member of staff tried it, agreed, gave me a new phone.

Very happy with the AppleCare service, would recommend to anyone.

Couldn't believe how busy the store was though!
  2. coopersim

coopersim Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I've been there 4 times (don't ask!) and they've always been excellent!
  3. localboy27

localboy27 Active Member

Ratings:
    +374
    Don't go on a launch day you'll have to high five them
  4. ukbootlegs

ukbootlegs Active Member

Ratings:
    +320
    I've got my first experience booked for Sunday (Milton Keynes).

I had my phone and keys in my back pocket, sat down, and cracked the screen. The mic has also stopped working.

I am hoping they can offer me a solution.
  5. Goooner

Goooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,724
    Dropped my 3GS with about a week left on the warranty, the lock button on the top stopped working so couldn't lock the screen or turn the phone off.

Took it into the Genius bar (Milton Keynes), guy looked at it, confirmed the fault and gave me a new phone on the spot (could have been a refurbished one, but there wasn't a mark on it and certainly looked new).

No fuss, no argument, no "we'll have to send it away to be repaired". I was expecting any or all of those as the fault was entirely mine, having dropped it.

Very impressed with the service and it's certainly ensured that I will be staying with an iPhone when I eventually get around to upgrading, which I imagine is what they want.
  6. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,078
    I can tell you that they can and will offer you a solution-a replacement iPhone. :smashin:
  7. ukbootlegs

ukbootlegs Active Member

Ratings:
    +320
    That's all I need I suppose.

I'd pay the extra for a 4s if they offered it.

Just removed my JailBreak :(
  8. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,078
    They may replace it for you free of charge, but there are no guarantees.

You need to go in with the "I'm prepared to hand over £125 for a replacement iPhone, as I was careless and damaged it" mindset and if they do it for free you've had a result. :D
  9. ukbootlegs

ukbootlegs Active Member

Ratings:
    +320
    That is my mindset to be honest.

A working phone is all I want. I've held off upgrading to 4s as I want the 5 when it comes out.

I need to repair this one, or get a working one as I intend to give it to my wife when I upgrade.
  10. nigelbb

nigelbb Active Member

Ratings:
    +498
    They only charge £119 in store to replace a 3G/3GS or 4. A 4s out of warranty replacement is £139.
  11. ukbootlegs

ukbootlegs Active Member

Ratings:
    +320
    So I will have to pay £119. I'd be happy to pay £139 for even £199 for a 4s to replace my 4 tho.
  12. bransoj

bransoj Active Member

Ratings:
    +353
    Pretty certain its only like for like swap.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. localboy27

localboy27 Active Member

Ratings:
    +374
    You'll never get a 4s even if you pay extra
  14. Sparky2520

Sparky2520 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    thought id trow this out there and see if anyone has a story to tell.... im not trying to hijack the thread, just thaught it would be suitable to ask in the same thread, Has anyone had a bad experiance with apple/ Genius bar?? as always bad new travels faster and wider than good news but i can actually say iv never heard anything bad about apple/ Genius bar's
  15. dc8900

dc8900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,475
    not with an iphone but a slight niggle with my macbook air when I needed the battery replaced last year. It did feel like I was lumbered with work experience boy, as I sat there explaining to this young chap about cycle counts etc and a whole load of basic stuff. Eventually after about 30-40 minutes, he then ordered a new battery for me which I would have to pop in for the following week. (I reckon that for some reason, one of their more retailed focussed non-technical 'Experts' got put on the genius bar with the other 'geniuses')

Other than that, my experiences of the genius bar has been excellent; I have walked in with faulty minis and back out with new (wasn't refurb stock but brand new retail packaging) replacements within 10 minutes. The main reason why I am personally willing to pay the premium is also because of the level of service you get in return.
  16. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV Well-Known Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +2,218
    I have an aquaintance who has had a problem with his 4 and it's just out of 1yr warranty. He has had major strife with Apple about its repair as they want to charge him £120 for a replacement phone and he feels that it should continue to work for more than 12 months otherwise it's not fit for purpose....and i'd tend to agree with him. if you haven't damaged it then I'd expect it to keep working a considerable time..it's not like it's got many moving parts!
  17. Sparky2520

Sparky2520 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Yea I agree it should work for longer than 12 months but at the same time apple have to cover there own backs as anyone out the 12 month period could essentially do something to there phone then go In store looking for a "like new" one and get it free of charge and that wouldn't do apple any favours so there has to be a charge
  18. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV Well-Known Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +2,218
    There shouldn't be any charge at all...it's nonsense. If the thing fails within a couple of years due to mechanical failure through proper use or electrical parts failure through proper use then the thing should be repaired or replaced free of charge. If it is suspected that it has failed from user misuse or damage, even within warranty, it should be charged for.....if you spill a cup of coffee over your brand new laptop do you expect that it is replaced free of charge? (hopefully you'd say NO) If the e and r keys stopped working after 18 months because you used them to type words i'd expect the keyboard to be replaced free of charge whether the warranty was 12 months or not. Just because someone might be "at it" is not an excuse to not keep your legal responsibilities....i suspect that if you were to go to small claims court (and i think my acquaintance is going to) you will easily win in my scenario above.
  19. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,078
    I completely agree Gordon.

The law says it should last a REASONABLE time.

To me (and any sane person really), there's no way the failure of a premium product like an Apple iPhone can be classed as reasonable.
  20. Sparky2520

Sparky2520 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I don't disagree with you Gordon, I believe it should be repaired/ replaced free of charge too but I guess apple and any company try to get the consumer to pay rather than give it out free if they can. I think u may have issues trying to get a replacement keyboard with that kind of scenario as you as the consumer would have to prove its a manufacturing fault as opposed to user miss use. I have a similar situation with my washing machine at the moment and I have to prove its a manufacturing fault at my own expense by calling out an engineer to do a report on it then if and only if it's proven to be a manufacturing fault I can recall all the expenses back from the washing machine manufacturer.
  21. gdbagley

gdbagley Member

Ratings:
    +30
    I had a fault with my 3GS shortly after my 1 year warranty. The earpiece started picking up the GSM buzz - blatant failure of the product.

The woman in the shop was snotty and hard nosed to say the least, I had a genius appt booked, but couldnt get past her to see them, they were busy and i guess the bulldog was out to cut the crowds. She wanted £120 for the handset. After having enough of her attitude, I mentioned reasonable usage and consumer laws - apparently apple are above EU laws etc. If already paid £15 for travel there, so I left

I declined and went to Carphone warehouse and used the insurance I took out when purchased it £49 for a brand new handset with another 12 months warranty!
  22. nigelbb

nigelbb Active Member

Ratings:
    +498
    I have always had good service when I have taken in a variety of faulty hardware (iPhone, Time Capsule, MacBook Pro) but it's often a bit of a scrum & in the Norwich store at least they don't seem to have anyone doing reception duties. Last time I was there I hung about in front of the Genius Bar until about 10 minutes after my appointment time & then eventually asked when I would be seen only to be told that my appointment had been cancelled as I hadn't turned up & that the next free one was in 20 minutes time. I had to be very firm (to put it politely) with the non-Genius to insist that I should be seen immediately.
  23. paulm34

paulm34 Member

Ratings:
    +19
    The phones they give out at the apple stores are refurb ones unless you buy new. screen is new battery is new case is all new but they use internal parts from other returns
    The best experience I had was with AppleCare to cut a long story short I had a crack on my 3GS common fault. They sent a refurb to me next day but the screen looked all yellow compared to my old one . After 3 more iPhone 3gs's arrived with the same yellow tint. I spoke to the AppleCare supervisor again and he agreed it wasn't good so he sent me a brand new iPhone 4 in a full retail package!!!!! For my troubles. I was contacted by an apple worker in Texas who sent me the phone out the next day
  24. winka45

winka45 Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Poor. Just been about 10 min ago to the Metrocentre store in Gateshead. Asked how much to repair the screen and told 119.
    I mentioned there's a shop in the mall itself that fixes them for 70. He just shrugged and raised his eyebrows.

I just walked out.

After all the positive experiences people are having in really surprised at the response I got.
  25. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,078
    Sounds like a poor attitude on the employee's part, but what were you expecting him to say/do?

What he should have done is explain the benefits of you paying Apple to do the job, over some "shop in the mall".

There are always people who will offer services cheaper than you can get them done in an Apple store, but if you knew what the charge was before you went in, why did you walk out (presumably the guy's attitude)?

If it were me, I would have immediately asked him to get "his" manager, and told him I wanted to see if all Apple staff have such a poor approach to customer care.
  26. winka45

winka45 Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Yeah some sort of banter or interaction. Not just to be left hanging. I wasn't sure of the price tbh but thought like you say some explanation into why the price was what it was.

Think I'll just buy a screen from Internet and do it myself
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  27. dc8900

dc8900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,475
    surprised he didn't explain that the £119 is because rather than actually repair your phone, they are simply giving you a refurb replacement that comes with a 90 day warranty