Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding Freeview HD on Humax Fox T2 HD

Discussion in 'Freeview Forum' started by ReillyA1914, Mar 24, 2010.

1. ReillyA1914

ReillyA1914 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a carrier wave or something to prove that you can see the HD channel or even a trade test transmission

Now that I have got the Humax Fox HD T2 working without the picture breaking up (repaired the co-ax) I am looking for the HD signals.

I am pointing at Emley Moor. There should be a broadcast starting on 31.03.10

Using Menu...Settings...System...Signal Detection I am only seeing channels 40, 43, 46, 49, 50 and 52.

Signal strength about 40% and quality 100%

Using auto installation I get every thing but the HD.
    Using manual tune on Ch50 changing Transmission to DVB-T2 and click search; there are no channels to show

Will I have to wait until next Wednesday to see the HD channels?

regards
    Andy
  2. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,064
    Well if they haven't started transmitting the HD service from Emley Moor yet then you wont have any HD signal to pick up until they do. So if next Wednesday is when the HD broadcasts start then that is when your T2 will be able to find them.
    They wont be transmitting test signals in advance as there is no spare frequencies for the transmitions until DSO for most areas.

Mark.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. lbear

lbear Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    Come the 31st, check to see if Freeview channel numbers 50 and 51 are tuned. Your box should have done an automatic scan overnight but if the multiplex ("MUX" or "transmitter") was not switched on, obviously it will have had problems.

Officially, according to an email I got from ITV customer services today, ITV1 HD has not been launched yet :rolleyes: so they will not give any confident advice until 2 April (when it is believed the Freesat launch and transfer to a full time non-red button service will be).

According to Digital UK, there are planned engineering works this week for your transmitter see
    Digital UK - Planned Engineering Works

It is quite possible they will be testing the Mux so a manual search using the channel number of the HD MUX over the coming week may get you tuned in before the official turn on. (Ask Digital UK for the Channel/frequency if they have not issued it in writing). You could do an automatic search but this has two disadvantages. The first is that you are likely to lose any programme reservations you have made on your EPG. The second is you do not get to see signal strength and quality information.

To access this you press Menu on your handset and select the following options by scrolling down and pressing OK
    SETTINGS
    INSTALLATION
    Enter the password 0000 on your handset unless you have changed it
    MANUAL SEARCH
    Transmission - set this to DVB-T2 and press OK
    If you know the channel number of the HD MUX, go up to the Channel number option
    Press OK then scroll down to the channel number and press OK.
    You should now have the strength and quality meters lit up if the MUX is transmitting.

An alternative if you do not know the channel number is to follow the above procedure but go through each channel in turn. When you first get to this menu from DVB-T station, it will show the channel number of the MUX it is being transmitted on. After you have selected DVB-T2, try up and down from there as the MUXes are often clustered. Pressing "OK" toggles you between the list on the right and the menu. Wait a few seconds before trying the next frequency.

Once you have found the T2 MUX, scroll down to SEARCH and press OK. The box will then tune in to any stations being transmitted on the MUX. At an early stage they may have the MUX turned on but not actually transmitting programmes.

Just to avoid confusion
    , once they are tuned in, BBC HD and ITV1 HD will show up as channels 50 and 51 on your EPG. (Personally, I think it would have been more sensible to have made this 51 and 53 with C4 HD allocated 54 as it would have more closely tracked the main services). The channel numbers I refer to are the convenient way of referring to UHF frequencies and range on the Fox T2 from 21 to 69.

Sorry for the rather lengthy step by step but I have found the manual is a rushed job and not as easy to follow as it could be. I have "walked through" these steps on my T2 and they are correct (unless they change the software!!!)

By the way, have you tried the home network option yet? That area of the manual is also a masterpiece of brevity bordering on obscurity!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  4. ReillyA1914

ReillyA1914 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well its 31st
    Emley Moor is transmitting - well to Knaresborough area according to Optimus Frag in the post "Emley Moor is transmitting HD" further up the list.

I have done several auto tunes and manually tried to get the signal on UHF39 switching DVB-T2 and from 8Mhz to 7Mhz

No joy

I'm not one to give up easily but this is getting beyond it

Andy
  5. Optimas Frag

Optimas Frag Member

Ratings:
    +36
    I was in York when I found out it was transmitting at Emley. Using two FreeviewHD equipped TV's at Comet and Currys at Clifton Moor retail park. See my earlier thread to find out the deatails.

The signal can be picked up (but not decoded obviously) by my Hummy 9200 back home in Knaresborough. Channel 39 had a signal strengh of zero two days ago. It's now up to 52%, the same as channel 49 and I get the staitions from that mux with no break up. That's using a loft aerial as well.

So I'm fairly confident that if your in that area you'll get FreeviewHD with no problems. I'm just waiting for Hummy to bring out a PVR version before I get one. £180 for just a reciever is too much.
  6. ReillyA1914

ReillyA1914 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Freeview HD available: 31 March 2010

Disclaimer: This is a prediction based on current information.
    Coverage and channel availability are subject to change
    If you upgrade to Freeview HD, these channels will become available
    • [​IMG]31 March 2010
    • [​IMG]31 March 2010
    • [​IMG]TBC
    * More channels will be launched over time.
    To view these HD channels you will need an HD ready TV and a Freeview HD digital box or digital TV recorder or a TV with Freeview HD built in.

If you live in a flat and share an aerial then your landlord or management company may need to adjust the aerial system to receive Freeview HD. More
    Standard channels that are available
    Result sourced from digital UK. The product includes mapping and data licensed from Ordnance Survey with the permission of HMSO. Crown Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.

from the checker

Thanks for everones advice

Andy
  7. egraphix

egraphix Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Any luck tuning into the HD channels?
  8. jamesh1000000

jamesh1000000 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I can get them just recieved them last night from the emely moor transmitter so got to watch the Arsenal game in HD :thumbsup:

Oh should have said im not using the Humax
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2010
  9. lbear

lbear Active Member

Ratings:
    +336

Yes, do a manual scan but change the type from DVB-T to DVB--T2

In detail

Press Menu on your handset and select the following options by scrolling down and pressing OK unless otherwise directed.
    SETTINGS

INSTALLATION

When the password request pops up, key in 0000 (that's four zeroes) using the numbered buttons on your handset.
    If you have previously changed the password, key in your four digit code.

MANUAL SEARCH

TRANSMISSION

A two option list will appear at the right of your screen with DVB-T highlighted.
    Change this to DVB-T2 and press OK

If you know the channel number of the HD MUX

Scroll up to the CHANNEL NUMBER option and press OK

A list of all the frequencies' channel numbers will appear on the right of your screen

Scroll to the channel number for the DVB-T2 MUX and press OK

If the MUX is transmitting. in a few seconds the Signal Strength and Quality meters will start working.

If the MUX is working, scroll down to SEARCH and press OK

The box will now try to access any programmes being broadcast on the MUX.
    Wait until the scan is complete and the 'progress' indicator is completely purple. The STOP option will change to SAVE.

Go to SAVE and press OK

If You do not know the channel number, go to the Digitaluk web site and do a postcode search. If it is no obvious, change to the trade mode and the channel numbers of the muxes are at the bottom. The hD one is the last column set of three, the channel number is the first of the three numbers.
  10. ReillyA1914

ReillyA1914 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Got it working last night although unsure why, there was no joy in the morning.

Still working before I came to work. Auto tune picked up the 3 HD channels.

Thanks for all help.

Andy
  11. egraphix

egraphix Member

Ratings:
    +23
    I picked up a humax hd box today. just tuned it in and it picked up all the normal freeview channels. But it failed to pick up any hd channels.

i followed the above and it still doesnt pick up anything. the digitaltv website mentions the HD channels are being broadcasted in my area. My local station is Sutton Coldfield. the Hd channels is stated as 34?!?

I've tried 34, 50, 51,51 on dvd-t2 but nothing. do I need to change the frequency to 7mhz? what about the network option?

Plz can someone help.
  12. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,096
    Where are you ? The BBC HD transmission is low powered, comes from the ITV transmitter at Lichfield and is focussed south towards Birmingham. You may be north of Lichield or simply in a location where the two masts are in a different direction. What's your CH 5 analogue like (this comes from Lichfield) ?
  13. egraphix

egraphix Member

Ratings:
    +23
    My location is Walsall (north of Bham). My CH5 is ok. not the best, but decent. Signal strength is around 70% for CH5.

How come HD is only broadcasting from Lichfield? when digital TV website mentions its broadcasted from Sutton coldfield?
  14. egraphix

egraphix Member

Ratings:
    +23
  15. vassey

vassey Member

Ratings:
    +1
    After switchover, the new improved Sutton Coldfield will be transmitting HD. Until then, the old ITA site at Lichfield is transmitting the low power mux whilst Sutton is upgraded. I'm not sure if anyone on here has mentioned picking up in the West Mids yet... I think ive seen Crystal Palace, Winter Hill, Emley Moor and Wenvoe.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  16. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096
    You might need a second aerial because the two transmitters aren't in the same direction from your location. Vassy has explained why Lichfield is being used. Current transmissions from Sutton are using a temporary mast while the main mast is being increased in height.
  17. ukdiceman

ukdiceman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    egraphix have you got your HD channels working?
    I also live in Walsall WS4 2, and can only get the SD channels. I've tried all of the advice in this thread but still no joy. I can't move my aerial as it is shared in a new build apartment block.
    My analogue Ch5 is perfect, but on the FOX-T2 manual tune on DVB-T2 trying all channels I get no signal at all, the DVB-T I get 75%/100%
    Any ideas anyone?

Cheers Vaughan
  18. ukdiceman

ukdiceman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Update - Yes it seems to be the aerial, I've attached a cheapo set top aerial and hung it out the window and I now pick up a very weak DVB-T2 signal on channel 34 and have tuned in BBCHD,ITVHD & CH4HD

Looks like I'll have to wait until Sutton is upgraded :-(
  19. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096
    If you have a window pointing in the right direction and it's not got low energy glass you could try an outdoor aerial indoors. A log periodic is very compact and you could also add an amplifier.
  20. ReillyA1914

ReillyA1914 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Now that I have HD channels working I find that the signal strength of 35%-40% is causing the picture to break up in clear weather. The quality is 100%.This is only on the HD channels.
    Would an amplifier help boost the signal strength? (I understand that the amplifier just improves quality of signal not the strength)

Andy
  21. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096
    The opposite is normally the case amplification (especially too much) increases the signal strength but can decrease the quality. It can though lift the signal level over the digital cliff threshold and in this case prevent picture and sound breakup. An amplifier may help especially if you use a low noise masthead design, fit it as close to the aerial as possible (you send the power up the coax cable from a power supply fitted at the TV end. This approach avoids amplifying noise picked up on the coax downlead. Make sure that any wallplates are of the fully screened type. Using sat grade WF100 or PF100 for the cabling may well help as well.
  22. egraphix

egraphix Member

Ratings:
    +23
  23. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096
    I would go for a log40 periodic as here, and add the amp if you really need it afterwards

ATV`s Choice Of Aerials for digital TV

Connect it with PF100 or WF100 coax to minimise losses and interference.

If you need more gain get a group A aerial not a wideband.
  24. egraphix

egraphix Member

Ratings:
    +23
  25. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096