Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

find places to buy reclaimed wood?

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by liamt, Jan 23, 2012.

1. liamt

liamt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,105
    After looking at some of the bespoke units i have decided to build myself one

i cant find anywhere to actually buy reclaimed or even new timber in the sizes i want. has anyone got links to where they might have purchased timber?

i would go for paying someone else to make it but its more complex and much bigger than most of the ones i have seen so fancied having a crack myself
  2. tonyrees687

tonyrees687 Active Member

Ratings:
    +335
    If your looking for big sheets of reclaimed timber then that going to be hard and expensive. Most reclaimed timber is in planks rather than sheets so you would have to glue them together. I had a cab custom built in reclaimed oak from old church doors from eat live sleep to the exact size I wanted. But making one yourself would be a great project if you have the time.
    Solid Reclaimed Wood Tables, Beds, TV Stands & Rustic Handmade Furniture - Eat Sleep Live Ltd
  3. tonyrees687

tonyrees687 Active Member

Ratings:
    +335
    This is what I had made Not the best pics but really happy with it and this was a few years back . Hope this helps

Attached Files:

4. liamt

liamt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,105
    thanks for the responses.

due to funds starting to run short im planning on building my own. its looking like it will have to be mdf.

the issue is that it needs to be double the size of most of the units people had built and a lot more complex design too. i simply cant drop £1k on a media unit. if i have that much left i will get a projector :)
  5. netsukekoi

netsukekoi Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I misread this thread and thought there was a company called 'Eat Sheep Live' - I thought what a great company name. Sadly, it just confirms I need to get my eyes checked! :eek::eek::eek:
  6. liamt

liamt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,105
    lol. it should sell kebabs! what a name for a kebab house! :)

i have sacked this idea now and am going for either ikea or glass fronted kitchen units
  7. pompeydean

pompeydean Member

Ratings:
    +37
    You could do what I did and do a bit of both. I couldn't find anything the size I wanted so I bought an ikea unit or 2 so I could get the right size bits of "wood" and then cut and resized to make exactly what I wanted. Took a bit if effort, but only cost me about £60 in the end. Here's how it came out....

image-1367836676.jpg

image-2586883531.jpg

image-2871240198.jpg

image-1561030943.jpg
    Admittedly the inside isn't pretty, but I always have the front door shut so you only see the outside!
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  8. liamt

liamt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,105
    yeah, im planning on doing something similar but adding IR friendly glass doors to it to stop my son getting his grubby fingers on stuff

btw - doesnt your PS3 overheat? you have blocked the exhaust!
  9. pompeydean

pompeydean Member

Ratings:
    +37
    I went for an ir transmitter kit instead, meant I could have everything completely hidden too.

I thought the exhaust on the ps3 slim was at the back?
  10. liamt

liamt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,105
    ah, its a slim. my bad.

im tempted by IR but i like seeing the screens on my devices and to be honest, showing them off a bit too :)
  11. pompeydean

pompeydean Member

Ratings:
    +37
    No worries. Got me worried for a minute then! Ha ha.
    Yeah I can understand what you mean - I do miss seeing the blue HD Audio light come on on my avr!