Fermi Graphics Cards - Owners Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A fermi love update. My mobo is seems fine after the leak and everything is up an running on a fresh install. I updated my ssd firmware and my system now boots in 13sec. :)

p1000071a.jpg

p1000074a.jpg

p1000070x.jpg

You can see where I added a 90mm fan at the front of the case to draw cool air in. I cut down my old HDD cage with a dremil last week and slotted in a 92mm fan. As you can see there isn't much room in this htpc case.

:)

***. is that a SSD slotted between your dvd drive and your fan :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

GHETTO MOD!!!:D:D

Thanks for a short Fermi review Razor. I'm sure you know that, but just as a reminder MSI Afterburner has a nice custom fan profile that you can set up the way you want :smashin:

Cheers

Cheers mate. :smashin:

MSI looks allot nicer to work with than the asus tool. However I did like the error reporting on the asus app before you set the clock. I dont know if the MSI tool has this? The asus tool also has a fan control app, but I only spent 5 or mins messing with it. The fan profile for this card really needs tweaking or sorting by nvidia.

***. is that a SSD slotted between your dvd drive and your fan :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

GHETTO MOD!!!:D:D

It is mate. As you can see I have sod all room on the case so I stuck some rubber feet to one side of the ssd and wedged it in. :D

Nvidia just handles overscan really badly compared to ati. It was the same on my 8800gtx. I use a dvi out to hdmi on my display.

When you play movies with an ati card the overscan is totally removed with players like tmt3 or powerdvd. Games also run at 1080p in the menus. Games on nvidia run at their actual over scanned res which is slightly less than 1080p. Its not a deal breaker for me I just prefer ati's approach to overscan. :)

Totally agree that ATI are doing overscan better, finally. Nvidia used to do it well and then went all wobbly with it for some strange reason.

I don't know why you were losing overscan in games and TMT3, I don't have any problems with that at all, just full screen 1920x1080 all the time :thumbsup:. Maybe it's something that they sorted on the 5xxx series cards, must be I suppose.

Have you tried the HDMI socket on the 480?

Arghh still no news from Scan... everytime you call they don't seeem to have any idea as to when they might get them in.

You'd think they would at least have spoken to Asus and know where their shipment of 480s is currently sat? :confused: :thumbsdow:mad:

Totally agree that ATI are doing overscan better, finally. Nvidia used to do it well and then went all wobbly with it for some strange reason.

I don't know why you were losing overscan in games and TMT3, I don't have any problems with that at all, just full screen 1920x1080 all the time :thumbsup:. Maybe it's something that they sorted on the 5xxx series cards, must be I suppose.

Have you tried the HDMI socket on the 480?

I used to notice that my desktop was over scanned for a spilt second when I alt tabbed tmt3/powerdvd, it would then return to normal settings ie full screen with no loss of the edge of the picture. I actually quiet liked this as it meant that no scaling was being done to the 1080p picture.

Also games will run at 1080p in ati and on nvidia it has the option for the weird res I am running now.

I havent tried hdmi to hdmi yet, but I think it will be the same. But it is worth a punt. I just need a mini hdmi to full hdmi cable.

I just had a few goes and it looked nice at 16xCSAA. There was also no tearing in the menus which used to wind me up a bit on my 4870X2. So far so good. Oh and noise levels were fine on this game even in my little htpc case. :)

Arghh still no news from Scan... everytime you call they don't seeem to have any idea as to when they might get them in.

You'd think they would at least have spoken to Asus and know where their shipment of 480s is currently sat? :confused: :thumbsdow:mad:

I so sorry to hear that you guys still havent got a fermi yet. Its shocking that nearly 1 month after the release none of you have a card. I know I wouldnt be happy if I didnt get a card sent today after waiting for so long.

:(

Last edited:
farcry2atstock.jpg

Farcry 2 with ultra settings and 8XAA, DX10 1920x1080 (it let me select 1080p on this game and dirt 2). Dirt 2 benches to follow. :)

Fermi noise and heat
- I have tried this card in two different systems and there is a massive difference between the two. When the 480 was placed in my large pc case which has really good cooling noise levels and temps were fine for gaming. It was no different to any other card and much better than my 4870x2 in terms of heat and noise.

Now I have the 480 in my htpc case which is basically setup for water cooling and only has 2 x 80mm exit fans and a newly added 1 x 92mm fan at the front. My case is sat in a semi enclosed av rack with poor airflow to the back and side of the case. Things are allot different in the htpc case. Idle temps are about 8-10c more in this htpc case and the fan after a while of gaming does get fairly loud, unlike it does in my tower case.

The fan profile is also really screwed on this card. After a period of benching or gaming the temps of course rises as does the noise of the fan. However the 480 leaves it too long before the fan spins up so the card gets hot then the fan tries to bring the temps down which brings in the noise. If the fan spun up earlier it wouldn't need to spin up as much later on to bring the temp down. Another screwed up thing about the fan profile is that as soon as the gpu load drops down so does the fan speed. What would be far better is if they kept the fan speed up for say 20 sec after the gpu load had dropped to cool the card down first. If the idle temps are say 50c and your load temps are 80c and you stop gaming it takes ages for the card to cool back down to 50c. As soon as you stop gaming the fan will ramp down and leave the gpu temp at 70c and it will take about 10 mins to get it back down to 50c. I have never seen this before in any cpu or gpu. I think the fan profile needs looking at and revising.

I think this card will act just like any other card in terms of noise and heat if you have decent air cooling setup in your case. If you dont have decent cooling in your case then things will get a bit nosier.

Ok enough on heat, noise and cooling as I will watercooling this card its not really a concern for me but I thought would share my thoughts on it.

Overscan
- One thing I have always thought that ATI did better was overscan. My tv has about 4% overscan lock on which I cant remove so I need to use the overscan features on my card. This is easy with the ATI catalyst as its just one slider. With nvidia I have two sliders and its a bit more of a pain as the silders arent locked which is a stupid idea really.

Now with ATI when I game the overscan is removed and I just loose 4% off the edge of the screen. The game still plays in 1920x1080, the same happens with movies. Not with the nvidia card. I get a weird res showing which at the moment is 1832x1022. This appears on my desktop and in gaming. I am not too happy about this really but at least everything is on the screen. I havent tried any movies to see if this weird res is applied.

:)

Basicley same temps as 280 , even the taking ages for the Heat to go, to resolve this place a side fan Pointing Direct to the Gpu fan , and your Heat drop Very fast , and no hang, even the Fan will not spin up as Quick.

this Overscan issue Must be drivers or the Screen you have , Never Lost any of the screen , Gameing or Desktop.

Basicley same temps as 280 , even the taking ages for the Heat to go, to resolve this place a side fan Pointing Direct to the Gpu fan , and your Heat drop Very fast , and no hang, even the Fan will not spin up as Quick.

this Overscan issue Must be drivers or the Screen you have , Never Lost any of the screen , Gameing or Desktop.

Allot of people say its very similar in noise/heat as the 280gtx.

Overscan is there because my display has overscan so I have to setup up oversacn settings so I dont loose part of the task bar.

You wont loose part of your screen as your display has 1:1 pixle mapping ie no overscan or you can turn over scanning off. Its just a feature my main display doesnt support. I wish it did, my 50" Panasonic has the option to turn off overscan. :)

Allot of people say its very similar in noise/heat as the 280gtx.

Overscan is there because my display has overscan so I have to setup up oversacn settings so I dont loose part of the task bar.

You wont loose part of your screen as your display has 1:1 pixle mapping ie no overscan or you can turn over scanning off. Its just a feature my main display doesnt support. I wish it did, my 50" Panasonic has the option to turn off overscan. :)

Good to Hear this, as the 280 i have no issues on noise and Heat , But you need that side fan or you get Heat hang and fan spinning up for a a few minutes out of game or furmark Test, 280 Became hotter since Ud7 Mb upgrade , (the Gpu sits lower Nearly half a 120 fan Due to Mb design and that is Top Pci slot) Slapped the 140 Noctra in and every one was in love again :)

Why not get a new Tv , even my Old Lg had no Over-scan Issues, were did you get the Tv from Aldi :D

scan's asus cards are going to system build customers first and not coming in very quickly. I have a 3xs system on order and have taken a POV card instead of an asus to try and speed up delivery. They are getting stock so keep checked, some gigabite cards were on the website for about 30mins the other day.

Some Just Cause Desert Sunrise benchmarks with and without Nvidia Cuda specific eye candy. All settings on highest. :)

8 x CSAA

justcause2game201004232.jpg

Cuda eye candy on

16 x Q CSAA

justcause2game201004232i.jpg

Cuda eye candy on

32 x CSAA

Cuda eye candy on

The water effects with the cuda eyecandy on look very nice. The sparks also look different on explosions with cuda on.

This card loves AA. :devil:

Last edited:
GTA IV Benchmark run on full settings.

Statistics
Average FPS: 65.64
Duration: 37.26 sec
CPU Usage: 29%
System memory usage: 54%
Video memory usage: 84%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1920 x 1080 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: High
Shadow Quality: Very High
Reflection Resolution: Very High
Water Quality: Very High
Texture Filter Quality: Anisotropic x16
Night Shadows: Very High
View Distance: 100
Detail Distance: 100

Hardware
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional

Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480
Video Driver version: 197.55
Audio Adapter: Speakers (Auzentech X-Fi Forte)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz

File ID: Benchmark.cli

Wow, there's hardly any hit with high AA applied!

This is what makes me angry about the reviews that fail to test this properly. It's much more important to most people than running some old DX9 game at 200fps.

So impatient at the moment...

scan's asus cards are going to system build customers first and not coming in very quickly. I have a 3xs system on order and have taken a POV card instead of an asus to try and speed up delivery. They are getting stock so keep checked, some gigabite cards were on the website for about 30mins the other day.

Scan said that Asus cards weren't being put into their system builds, so the first batch that arrives will go straight to the customer in the queue. They say they're expecting 40 in the first batch, but have no clue when they're actually going to arrive :thumbsdow

This is what makes me angry about the reviews that fail to test this properly. It's much more important to most people than running some old DX9 game at 200fps.

And keep Waffling on about Heat and Noise , like it is all new and never heard before,
i think some of the reviewers came from On-board Graphics to Review..

I totally agree mate, I was getting very wound up at the amount of reviews that were benching with old games and running low levels of AA. Fermi seems to eat AA for breakfast.

A few shots of my EK GTX 480 block. :)

p1000098d.jpg

p1000105f.jpg

p1000101y.jpg

I will be installing it later this week. :)

A few more benchmarks, all in game settings on highest, gpu clocked to 825Mhz & memory at stock. :)

0x AA

streetfighterivbenchmar.png

8x AA

streetfighterivbenchmarv.png

C16x QAA

streetfighterivbenchmar.png

16x QAA (Physx on highest)

shippingpcbmgame2010042.png

C16x QAA

re5dx102010042523252501.png

Last edited:
is their any point in benchmarking games that my 260gtx can handle at max AA/AF settings when im getting over 60fps on the above games?

Flog on arma 2 demo, GTA4 or crysis for some real numbers.

Here's mine with 16x AA.

Attachments

• RE5DX10 2010-04-26 09-36-19-29.jpg
    RE5DX10 2010-04-26 09-36-19-29.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 78
^^Crikey!^^

is their any point in benchmarking games that my 260gtx can handle at max AA/AF settings when im getting over 60fps on the above games?

Yeah, come one Razor do some Crysis, Warhead and BC2. :thumbsup:

I am going through all my benchmarks, patience Jonney boy. I have also already done GTAIV which is posted in this thread.

If you look at 8xAa and C16x QAA on street fighter you will see it only takes a 10 frame hit, this is why I am posting this up. To show benches with high levels and max levels of AA unlike the magazines which like to stick to 4xAA. I threw the 0xAA bench in for a laugh. :)

Here's mine with 16x AA.

A nice score but you have 3 gpus, to get that score and its only 16xAA and not C16x QAA. Still nice to see though. Cheers for posting mate. :)

^^Crikey!^^

Yeah, come one Razor do some Crysis, Warhead and BC2. :thumbsup:

Has BC2 got a benchmark? Warhead benches coming up next. :)

One thing these benches dont show is how smooth the gameplay is. I really am loving this card. I also had a go of Batman in 3d last night. I must admit I am impressed with the 3d even if its using the coloured glasses. The colours are effected which is to be expected but it shows what can be done with 3d and gaming. I just wish they could get the shutter glasses working on 60Hz tv's as I would be buying some shutter specs asap.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom