favorite album of all time?

Has to be Hemispheres by Rush - first album I bought of theirs and still my fave band by a mile :smashin:

Kiefer Sutherland's favourite too.

Mine is Moving Pictures by Rush.

(Unfortunately not enjoying their new single, Caravan/BU2B though)

Lateralus by Tool. Perfectly crafted genius pressed onto a CD :)

Kiefer Sutherland's favourite too.

Mine is Moving Pictures by Rush.

(Unfortunately not enjoying their new single, Caravan/BU2B though)

Moving Pictures here as well though I've always had a soft spot for Farewell to Kings!

As to the new stuff it's taken (as is usually the case with Rush:D) a few listens but it's growing on me!

Love the music being played on Caravan, especially great bass work from Ged :thumbsup:

hendrix in the west followed by wywh and unsung heros by dixie dregs close on its heels.
so hard really diferent styles and all.

I've really enjoyed Reading this thread. I found myself nodding and saying to myself "yep, dsotm for me...no wait marvin Gaye...no violator...no nirvana...oh yea forgot about sign of the times ( although the funk of parade does it for me)....rage against the machine is a stunning album only got into it a month ago but can't stop listening to it"

One thing I do have to do after Reading this thread is give led zepp another go...tried a few times to get into them but just not managed it.

Although i cant name one album id like to suggest an album for anyone into rock in case they haven't given it a go yet....black sabbath & album of the same name everyone into rock should give it a go. Late winter night headphones on there is nothing like it :)

P.s. Soul mining for me is better than infected ;)

it may not be my favourite record ever as I don't think I can narrow it down to just one but I would say that Reign in Blood by Slayer has got to be the most perfect record ever released. It just can't be faulted in anyway from start to finish and when it came out it really was jaw dropping to hear it as there hadn't been anything quite like it beforehand. An astonishing record that sounds just as awesome today as it did when released almost 25 years ago.

P.s. Soul mining for me is better than infected ;)

dusk is the best. infected was my favourite for a long time, but i suppose soul mining is a bit more cohesive than infected. dusk is just perfect, a cohesive band album too

I don't think I can have just one album to call my 'favourite' I love far too much music in order to bestow that title upon one release. For me, the Pink Floyd discography speaks to me in such a way that no other band's does. I'm a total floyd nut, geek, anorak - call me what you will. You know when your getting multiple releases of the same album(s) and your making sure that they're lined up in chronological order on your shelf that your a geek. Discounting all my unoffical floyd stuff too :smashin:

Someone once asked me why do I listen to the all this old music and not the new stuff? I just replied 'Your mum's old but you still listen to her :laugh::D

Anyway, outside of Pink Floyd. I have to say my favourites are (no real order)

1. Steely Dan - Aja
  2. John Mayer - Continnum
  3. REM - Automatic For The People
  4. Queen - A Night At The Opera
  5. John Lennon and Yoko Ono - The Plastic Ono Band
  6. Dream Theater - Scenes From a Memory
  7. Unitopia - The Garden
  8. The Beatles - Sgt. Peppers
  9. Meat Loaf - Bat out of Hell
  10. Prince - Planet Earth
This list is discounting compilations. David Essex - His Greatest Hits and Paul McCartney and Wings - All The Best are 2 perennial loves also.

Last edited:
prince's planet earth at number 10th best album of all time? just 2 spots away from sgt pepper? :eek: what about purple rain or sign o the times?

prince's planet earth at number 10th best album of all time? just 2 spots away from sgt pepper? :eek: what about purple rain or sign o the times?

Yep, you read that correctly. However.. couple of things... Asking me my favourite album is a tricky one. You could ask me 10 times and get 10 different answers. And I know I could re-write this list and give different choices. As for Planet Earth being 2 spots away from Sgt. Peppers... The list is no paticular order remember...

Speaking of Planet Earth. You stacked it up against Purple Rain & Sign O' The Times. Whilst I own both those albums and enjoy them, I have to say the Planet Earth gets spun more times. I'm not saying it's a better album per se (thats down to each individual person) - but each to their own. I do think Planet Earth is a cracking album.

Yep, you read that correctly. However.. couple of things... Asking me my favourite album is a tricky one. You could ask me 10 times and get 10 different answers. And I know I could re-write this list and give different choices. As for Planet Earth being 2 spots away from Sgt. Peppers... The list is no paticular order remember...

Speaking of Planet Earth. You stacked it up against Purple Rain & Sign O' The Times. Whilst I own both those albums and enjoy them, I have to say the Planet Earth gets spun more times. I'm not saying it's a better album per se (thats down to each individual person) - but each to their own. I do think Planet Earth is a cracking album.

as a big fan, i have to say i and most fans found it disappointing. the tracks themselves aren't bad, it just doesn't flow well. SOTT and the other music from that period (it was originally supposed to be a triple album so there are loads of unreleased tracks) is one of my favourite periods and likewise with fans. as a beatles fan too, i don't rate sgt pepper as highly as revolver or rubber soul, or even abbey road. it is hard to make a list as there are so many great albums to choose from

Tough to pick one....

But if you twist my arm, at this moment, it would be....

If I could only remember my name - David Crosby

At other times could be....

In a Silent Way or Sketches of Spain - Miles Davis

25svcp1.jpg

this is my fav album although much not best obviously, if you have not hear before, go listen, is dinner jazz & all females will love if you are first date @ home, really! ok :~)

Pink Floyd - Dark side / wish you were here
Rush - Caress of steel / 2112
Led Zepp - 2 / 4

not sure the order though.

Caress of Steel - I love this album too though many Rush fans put it as one of their weakest.

Mine though is Rush - Hemispheres.

Steely Dan - The Royal Scam
Tears for Fears - The Seeds of Love
The Blue Nile - Hats
Peter Gabriel - So
XTC - Oranges & Lemons
Joni Mtchell - Dog Eat Dog
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
The Beatles - Abbey Road
Stevie Wonder - Innervisions

as a big fan, i have to say i and most fans found it disappointing. the tracks themselves aren't bad, it just doesn't flow well. SOTT and the other music from that period (it was originally supposed to be a triple album so there are loads of unreleased tracks) is one of my favourite periods and likewise with fans. as a beatles fan too, i don't rate sgt pepper as highly as revolver or rubber soul, or even abbey road. it is hard to make a list as there are so many great albums to choose from

Yes, the abanadoned Crystal Ball projects and Camille (although some remains of it are on the album - Housequake, If I Were Your Girlfriend)

As for the Beatles, I don't know if you can choose one definitive album. I just like SGT. Peppers because I've lived with it for so long! Revolver is great also, just like Abbey Road, The White Album, Magical Mystery Tour et all!

Combat Rock - The Clash

Solid Air - John Martyn

Songs of - Leonard Cohen

It's a definite toss-up between Queen's "Sheer Heart Attack" and "A Night at the Opera".

I can't decide :rolleyes:.

I notice they've got a "vinyl replica cd" version of Sheer Heart Attack but it's nearly £16 for some reason. I don't have this on CD and would like a good version.

It's a definite toss-up between Queen's "Sheer Heart Attack" and "A Night at the Opera".

I can't decide :rolleyes:.

Oh - thats not fair, bringing Sheer Heart Attack into the mix, you do realise you've just made this doubley hard! Oh well, when in rome... I'll add Queen II into the mix :D

I notice they've got a "vinyl replica cd" version of Sheer Heart Attack but it's nearly £16 for some reason. I don't have this on CD and would like a good version.

Now if that wasn't £16, I may be interested. I like those Vinyl replica cd's. HMV has its own range of them I see. I've got some CD-R's that have simulated grooves on top and a mock LP label in the middle. They look really snazzy. I've actually got 2 kinds. One type looks better and has a sleeve like a vinyl, but has a black data side. The other kind doesn't look quite as cool, a regular everyday slip case but a data side thats somewhere between blue and green.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom